5" plastic fence post install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5" plastic fence post install

The storage of my GP Logistics 7' ladder in the pass through was just not working out. Had to almost pull everything out to get it out to use. So, along with some other posts regarding mounting a post under the RV, I came up with this. I wanted mine towards the rear and there wasn't a lot of room to work with being the outside propane connection is there, which I use a, lot. I had 9" to work with so shopping I went. All the metal L brackets I found were just too thin for my taste and with the 5" post, I needed something no longer than 2' for the frame mounting so I could mount it directly to the frame. Found these at Menards, https://www.menards.com/main/hardwar...984-c-9700.htm good solid metal, the larger hole is the one I used for all the mounting. Used one of the existing underside bolts on one side and relocated the one on the other side to line the post up. Mounted the two rear brackets and then used one of the post caps to locate and mount the forward bracket. Nice part about the holes being a little larger that the mounting bolts, I had some wiggle room to work with. Positioned the post in the brackets using a floor jack with a plastic bin under the post to hold in place while I marked the holes to drill and confirm final position. With the brackets still a little loose, I used 10-24 stainless panhead screws with washers from the inside going out, Did that because I didn't want the nuts inside to cause any hanging up. Drilled holes, post back up and installed then finished tightening the bolts going into the frame. Mounting is, SOLID. The ladder measured 7' 4' so I cut the post to 7' 6' giving me enough room to put 2' hard foam in each end. Decided rather than rivet the cap in, I used screws just in case I would have a reason to remove it. In the cap I used double sided tape to secure the foam on that end so it wouldn't come loose and decide to come out with the ladder. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0443.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.7 KB ID:	109917 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0438.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.5 KB ID:	109918 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0439.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.1 KB ID:	109919 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0442.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.0 KB ID:	109920 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0441.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.2 KB ID:	109921

Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
    TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

BobinICT -- a popular addition to a lot of our trailers. I've got two of them installed!

Yours looks fine, but a note of caution for anyone that is considering doing something similar (so they don't repeat the mistake I made). Keep anything added under the frame above the approach and departure angle as shown in the Lippert diagram below. Nothing should be at or below this line. (As my fellow moderator Cate&Rob frequently points out, there can still be an issue even if the item being installed is above the line in extreme situations.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lippert angle diagram.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	109936

Naturally I know now all about these angles due to that (expensive and painful) taskmaster called "Experience". I made the mistake of installing my first ladder holder at the very rear of the camper...and someone out there got a free ladder 'cause at some point I went over something and it disappeared.

Again, nice work!

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Nice work BobinICT. I put two in about five years ago. They have held up pretty well. I did have to replace one of the caps a few weeks ago due to cracking. But it was a 10 minute job.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
      X