Too Much Flex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too Much Flex?

I have a 2018 Reflection 337RLS. On my last trip in January, I noticed the plastic spline covering the relief cut below the bedroom slide popped out. I put it back with some sealant. When I got home, I noticed the interior corner trim on both sides in the front closet had popped off. When I put the weight onto the landing gear, it looked like a lot more movement around the pin box than I have ever seen before. I did some internet searching, and now that I found my way out of that rabbit hole, all these symptoms together point to either a cracked weld or frame member on the chassis, or possibly on the aluminum wall framing. The internet has some instructions on taking measurements with the weight on the landing gear and then on the pin. There is an allowable difference which I don't remember at the moment. I have almost completely emptied the trailer for winter storage (trying to create a less-than-friendly neighborhood for mice). When I'm done with another project in the underbelly, I'll put all the weight back in and take the measurements the internet recommends. If the difference is too much, then the plastic under the overhang has to come off to get a look at the steel frame.

I saw a post on this forum about a similar event and that owner got some very high quotes for repairs earlier this month. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Welcome to our owners technical forum. We have had considerable discussion about this wall seam . . . but, if it opens/closes with attaching to the truck, this points to a frame problem rather than a wall problem. Please keep us in the loop on what you learn.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the welcome. If I get into a closer inspection of the frame, I'll post some photos.

Steve

Comment

You might try reaching out to Grand design for some guidance on what to check along with resources at Lippert (if thats who built your frame)
        2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

If your pin box deflection is more than 1/2"....you are likely looking at a frame issue. From your description.......a trailer shop will serve you better than an RV dealership.
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          2021 303RLS
          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

There is more flex in a 5th wheel pin box and frame than you would expect. This is not noticeable when hitching to the truck because it is masked by the truck spring compression. I use a pin tripod when parked for an extended time and lift the front legs slightly to transfer load to the tripod. I have used a weigh scale on top of the tripod to measure pin weight. To do this, I have to raise the front legs off the ground. This takes raising the legs about one inch . . . this is proportional to “normal” frame flex.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
            X