Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous Trim Screws Backing Out - How To Re-secure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miscellaneous Trim Screws Backing Out - How To Re-secure?

I did a search on this, but not much in the way of answers came up. Most were about stripped screws, etc

Yesterday while working on the armoring above the tires I noticed a bunch of trim screws backing out a bit around the trailer. Trim screws where skirting ties to the walls and partially around the slide trim. Trailer is a 2018 and I have not really checked them over time, except for the fender ones. Most are maybe 1/2 turn - just a smidge loose. holes are not stripped. I suspect vibration over time is the gremlin at work here.

What seems to work to solve this? I thought about silicone, but what a mess as it always seem to squeeze out of the hole.. I have some thin needle (plastic) syringes that I could inject deeper in the hole to use gorilla glue, etc, but concerned with foam melting and glue expansion.. I was thinking a dab of Titebond III (waterproof) might be a compromise, but does it stay a bit flexible when cured?

Thoughts?

Thanks Keith

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

I've used caulking. Remove the screw, apply a little dab, reinstall the screw. Seems to work.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
      I've used caulking. Remove the screw, apply a little dab, reinstall the screw. Seems to work.
      I hate to ask, but what kind of calking? Are you talking roof sealant type, latex, silicone or other?
      Thanks
      Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Whatever I had on hand. Any kind will have enough adhesive quality to keep the screws from vibrating out.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
          Whatever I had on hand. Any kind will have enough adhesive quality to keep the screws from vibrating out.
          I have some old non sage roof sealant that I cant use on the roof - non TPO approved and wrong color. I'll probably use that then.
          Thanks again
          Keith

Comment

Yoda

I've done quite a bit of research and experimenting with glue and foam recently. (A project not ready for "prime time" yet.) I'm convinced Gorilla Glue and Titebond II or III will not harm the foam in our campers.

Note that Gorilla Glue Original will expand to fill gaps (sometimes a good thing, sometimes not). Gorilla Glue HD does not expand.

If you need more information, go to https://www.youtube.com/@falkornomad and set aside a couple of hours to watch Nomad's "Foam Build" series.

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I always have a tube of clear silicon in-play and perfect for the snugging screws exercise... "a little dab will do you"!

Mike
              Mike & Sonya
              2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
              Blue Ox SwayPro
              2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

If stripped I keep a box of matches handy, part of a match and a dab of Gorilla Glue and they stay forever.

Comment

Working...
                X