Chasing a Water Leak, Maybe Two...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chasing a Water Leak, Maybe Two...

2021 Imagine 2400BH - Water is accumulating on the floor under the galley cabinet at the curb-side wall. There is also water on the front pass-through floor and collecting in the under floor membrane outboard of the frame (curb-side, again). The trailer has been stored indoors for the last six months and all these areas were dry coming out of storage. It rained last night and today, well, the hunt for a leak source begins...

I'm fairly certain this is not plumbing-related 1. pump/city water connection not used in the last six months and 2. plumbing is still winterised with no sign of antifreeze where it shouldn't be.

Roof membrane and top-side sealants all appear intact... same for the front cap. Sealants around the exterior curb-side wall fixtures, windows, and cargo doors 'appear' intact.

My suspicions:

1. The infamous awning gutter rail. The rear 12", or so, of the gutter rail pulled away from the wall previously and was repaired by the dealer under warranty. It appears to be affixed appropriately, but there might be an issue I can't see. Also, the gutter rail has a butt joint in the area above the galley window. This joint leaks water down the outside of the wall - might it be leaking down the inside of the wall, as well? I'm thinking the entire gutter rail needs to be pulled, inspected and re-sealed.

2. The furnace side-wall exhaust port. (I mention this only because this is where water is accumulating inside on the floor.) Any experience here?

3. Rooftop A/C mounting gasket. I've never checked the A/C mounting bolt torque or gasket integrity... is it possible or likely for a leak at the A/C mount and have water follow a rafter to the sidewall and to the floor? I pulled the inside grill and all appears normal.

What am I missing???

Mike
    Mike & Sonya
    2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
    Blue Ox SwayPro
    2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

NoPeeking

Hey Mike, that certainly does not sound fun. I would also say check the vent exhaust cover as that is within proximity of the furnace, although is much higher, same with the outdoor speaker. If those were the issue though, you'd think the inside wall would be stained too, so I would personally start with the furnace, but still double checking those two spots.

It maybe worthwhile too to pull the interior furnace vent under the TV and food pantry (near the PDU) and see if any water is under that cabinet. On the flip side, I would also check the bedroom floor and wall under the window to see if any water is in there.

​​​​​Crazy thought, but was the trailer stored slightly nose down when it rained? I wonder if water was traveling along the floor through the galley, into the bedroom, and then under the clothes pantry into the front storage area. I guess the other way could be true too, that the front storage door is leaking, and the trailer was maybe nose high, allowing water to run back towards the furnace.

Hope you find it fast and it's an easy repair.
    Last edited by StephenO; 04-30-2023, 03:30 PM.
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

StephenO thanks for the suggestions. The trailer is level and I haven't found water in the bedroom or aft-words under the pantry. If it is a single leak source, I'm puzzled at the water in the pass-through. Traveling through the wall? Floor? Also, I have since found water dripping from the underbelly where the forward grey tank valve cable goes through the coroplast. Geesh!

I re-caulked the speakers, stove vent, galley window and furnace exhaust panel. Today's focus will be re-sealing the gutter rail butt joint which happens to be situated directly above the galley window and furnace exhaust/access panel. If that still doesn't remedy things, I'm dealership-bound to pull the awning gutter rail. Fingers crossed.

Mike
      Mike & Sonya
      Blue Ox SwayPro
      2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

The water in the underbelly could be related to the water you found near the furnace. I am fairly confident that there is a port cut in the floor by the furnace for the heating / air return for the underbelly area. Perhaps water is working it's way through that access point? There is also an access point for the kitchen sink drain into the grey tank, but I believe that is between the bedroom/kitchen wall.

Not so much related to finding the source of the leak here, but a thought that I had related to drying things out for you, I would suggest looking underneath the front storage area on the outside near the wall, and ensure water is not pooling between the OSB floor and the tarp material. There is that black water barrier material they put in the outside to protect the floor, and I've heard of others getting water trapped in there when they had a leak in the storage area. Should be a simple matter of pushing on the material and feeling for any collections of water.

​​
        2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

NoPeeking Not sure if its related to your leak, but if you suspect gutter issues I would check out this post by howson. This area of the gutter deserves your attention if you are up there.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...ults-it-s-ugly
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

StephenO Hey Stephen, does your furnace access panel (not sure what to call it) have a bead of caulk around it? Other folks? Mine didn't, so I sealed it and I think it may have remedied my leak problem... but, I sealed a lot of stuff over the last 24hrs so I'm not entirely sure this is the fix.

Mike

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021 2400BH Furnace Access.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.7 KB ID:	111559
            Mike & Sonya
            Blue Ox SwayPro
            2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Originally posted by NoPeeking View Post
              StephenO Hey Stephen, does your furnace access panel (not sure what to call it) have a bead of caulk around it?
              Hey Mike

Our trailer is in storage right now, but I will be getting it next week. If my memory serves me right though, I am pretty sure I did a new layer of Geocel along the top of the furnace. If that's not the case, I will report back.
              2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

[QUOTE=NoPeeking;n111558]StephenO Hey Stephen, does your furnace access panel (not sure what to call it) have a bead of caulk around it? Other folks? Mine didn't, so I sealed it and I think it may have remedied my leak problem... but, I sealed a lot of stuff over the last 24hrs so I'm not entirely sure this is the fix.

Mike

Yes that furnace access panel should be sealed with silicone of some kind. There is nothing but the furnace behind that panel, no foam or ridge that would keep water from penetrating into the furnace area. This should have been from the factory.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

[QUOTE=Country Campers;n111569]
                  Originally posted by NoPeeking View Post
                  StephenO Hey Stephen, does your furnace access panel (not sure what to call it) have a bead of caulk around it? Other folks? Mine didn't, so I sealed it and I think it may have remedied my leak problem... but, I sealed a lot of stuff over the last 24hrs so I'm not entirely sure this is the fix.

Mike

Yes that furnace access panel should be sealed with silicone of some kind. There is nothing but the furnace behind that panel, no foam or ridge that would keep water from penetrating into the furnace area. This should have been from the factory.

Brian
                  Thanks, Brian. I wasn't sure if there was butyl in behind, or not. My furnace panel had no sealant at all which is somewhat critical given the top flange is subject to a steady stream of water down the wall from the gutter rail butt joint (which I still need to remedy).

Mike
                  Mike & Sonya
                  Blue Ox SwayPro
                  2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Working...
                  X