Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many layers of clear coat are applied with Full Body Paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many layers of clear coat are applied with Full Body Paint?

I ordered full body paint on our last Solitude and again on the most recent Solitude we have on order. I've asked a few people how many layers of clear coat are applied with full body paint but get different answers. Can anybody from Grand Design jump in here with the "official" answer from the shop that actually does the painting? Thanks!!!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
    I ordered full body paint on our last Solitude and again on the most recent Solitude we have on order. I've asked a few people how many layers of clear coat are applied with full body paint but get different answers. Can anybody from Grand Design jump in here with the "official" answer from the shop that actually does the painting? Thanks!!!
    I just had a comment from huntr70 that there are 2 coats clear.
    2007 Itasca Horizon w/2017 Wrangler "pusher toad"
    2015 Solitude 320X (sold) likely a 351M to take it's place
    2017 Ram 3500 Laramie 4wd CC LB SRW
    2019 Harley Davidson Heritage 114 as the toy

Comment

Interesting that you should ask this question. The moderators are going back to GDRV in April and one of our goals is to tour the full body paint area to get an understanding of the process, potential problems and detailed information such as you're asking.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I've heard one, two and three coats. It would be nice to have the definitive answer directly from the paint shop! It seems this information would be good for the dealers to have so they can pass that information on to customers that are considering the option.
        Brian & Kellie
        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

I've heard one, two and three coats. It would be nice to have the definitive answer directly from the paint shop! It seems this information would be good for the dealers to have so they can pass that information on to customers that are considering the option.
          GDRV-Megan - Can you please research Brian's request?

Thanks,

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I'll check on that right now and get an answer for you. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post
              I'll check on that right now and get an answer for you. Thanks!
              Thanks Megan! I'm hoping the shop that does the actual painting will give us the definitive answer!
              Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Thanks Megan! I'm hoping the shop that does the actual painting will give us the definitive answer!
                Here is the reply that I received from our paint supplier: "We use 3 coats applied with a pressure pot system to obtain the proper mill thickness".

Comment

Wow! Three layers of clear coat. That's great. Thanks Megan. I really appreciate you taking the time to get the official word!
                  Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Working...
                  X