Skylight leak. Need a temporary fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skylight leak. Need a temporary fix

Hello. We had a good storm last night while on vacation and noticed water coming in, thank God, over the shower from the skylight. Upon further inspection the plastic is cracked causing the leak. After reading on the forum I’m sure it’s from an overtightened screw from the factory. But nonetheless, I need to seal this up before some more rain comes tomorrow. I need to get a temporary fix that’ll get us through this vacation until I can get it home. Not sure if I’ll be able to find lap sealant around. Anyone have a fix they know will get the job done? I couldn’t find anything on the forum. I’m going to call GD Customer service in a few. Thanks in advance!

TucsonJim howson Country Campers
    Attached Files
    • 2023 Imagine 2800BH
    • 2013 GMC Sierra 2500 6.6 Duramax (LML)
    • Family Travels with kids and dog
    • Love cool upgrades

Gorilla tape. Won't be pretty, but will not leak.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Flex seal tape or eternabond. Eternabond will stick to just about anything.

Gorilla tape, personally I have 0% chance of that one working. Some people could build a house out of it that will survive a tornado.

I'd skip the lap sealant as the working time to getting wet (plus if you need to apply in the rain) may bite you.

https://www.amazon.com/EternaBondRV-...0-4513d670b6bc

If in a real pinch, rubber window and door flashing tape from the local orange or blue box store: https://www.homedepot.com/p/GCP-Appl...3100/203057402 https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pella-3-in-...ape/5004730195

Again, cure time and special tools needed are critical. Flashing tape you could probably apply in a rain storm with an umbrella and a towel (be careful if on the roof as the sudden stop at the end hurts).
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

I would go with the Eternabond or gorilla tape temporary fix. When getting it replaced, get a polycarbonate skylight. Make sure you get one where the inner fits the outer skylight.

Getting cheap skylights leads to fun times. We learned that during a heavy rainstorm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	114446
        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

acoleman43 thanks for the tip. I called GD this morning and they immediately sent me a whole new skylight replacement. U think it would be worth it just to buy an upgraded skylight and replace with that?
          • 2023 Imagine 2800BH
          • Love cool upgrades

Comment

Not much to add, you are already getting great ideas. One thing though is to remove the inner ring cover and check the ceiling for water intrusion. Just because it leaked in to the shower doesn't mean that it did not get into the ceiling structure.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers did that too. Probably been leaking for a bit. We bought it in January but we keep it in a covered shop. 2nd trip and it rained on us last trip and I didn’t notice it then.
              Attached Files
              • 2023 Imagine 2800BH
              • Love cool upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by AAMAFIGHTER View Post
                acoleman43 thanks for the tip. I called GD this morning and they immediately sent me a whole new skylight replacement. U think it would be worth it just to buy an upgraded skylight and replace with that?
                If you get a free skylight, that is the winner
                Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Country Campers did that too. Probably been leaking for a bit. We bought it in January but we keep it in a covered shop. 2nd trip and it rained on us last trip and I didn’t notice it then.
                  That does not look too bad. Keep it as dry as possible though.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2966.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	114477 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2966.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	114476 Settled on Flex Seal Tape due to it being the only thing I could get ahold of nearby. Cleaned with mineral spirits then applied. I’ll update with how it does. Seems like the adhesion is weak to start but I’ve read that it takes a bit to fully adhere. Storms expected the next fire days so I’ll update if it was a success or dud.
                    • 2023 Imagine 2800BH
                    • Love cool upgrades

Comment

Never used the flex seal tape, but it looks like you did a good job getting it on there.

I keep a roll of the eternabond in the camper should I need it for a roof repair on the road (first TT got speared by a tree limb leading to repair at hunting lease).
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                        Never used the flex seal tape, but it looks like you did a good job getting it on there.

I keep a roll of the eternabond in the camper should I need it for a roof repair on the road (first TT got speared by a tree limb leading to repair at hunting lease).
                        I'm going to order a roll to keep in the camper as well.
                        • 2023 Imagine 2800BH
                        • Love cool upgrades

Comment

Cleaned with mineral spirits then applied. I’ll update with how it does. Seems like the adhesion is weak to start but I’ve read that it takes a bit to fully adhere. Storms expected the next fire days so I’ll update if it was a success or dud.
                          Mineral spirits are not a great cleaning solution when you're about to put an adhesive on. The oils in it actually reduce the adhesion capability. Instead, use a rubbing alcohol.
                          Tim H.
                          2022 Imagine XLS 23BHE
                          2019 Ford F250 Platinum 6.7L Diesel
                          Formerly: 2016 Ford F150 Lariat Super Crew, FX4, 3.5L EB, 6-1/2' bed
                          Formerly: 2019 Keystone Passport 175BH

Comment

timh0042 i didn’t realize that. Thank you. I did let it dry for a while and it seems to be sticking now in the sun. Fingers crossed it lasts til Saturday
                            • 2023 Imagine 2800BH
                            • Love cool upgrades

Comment

GD sent me two replacements but in the end, I went with upgraded RecPro lenses that are thicker. I also like their finish.
                              Bill & Cindy
                              2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
                              2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                              SE Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X