Closed Cell Rigid Foam insulation Reflection 220RK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closed Cell Rigid Foam insulation Reflection 220RK

First - thanks to Rob Cate&Rob and the thread https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...eel-underbelly and many other that have gone before me.

I have started on the project and have learned a few things the hard way.. I am about 1/4 done

My situation is a bit different, I am fully sub framed (crack repairs) from the original frame depth by 2" so supposedly 2" thick foam should have fit perfectly........NOT! A lot of the original OEM plumbing and wiring runs extended slightly below the original frame height resulting in the bulges in the coroplast. I determined that 1" was about as good as I could do.

Tip one - use a straight edge across the frame and measure before you buy your foam. Two trips to HD and handling 4x8 sheets of foam (I bought 5) in the wind - priceless. I took the 2" back and got 1", except for one sheet of 2"

Cutting tools - what a pain to cut this stuff clean. I tried using a small circular trim saw (4") withe fine tooth plywood blade - got 6" and it was melting the foam. Then tried my typical Stanly knife - tore the foam as blade is too thick. Finally settled on a single edge razor blade with a good straight edge, - still tough to keep from wandering. It only cut about half way. I finished the cuts with my small Japaneses pull saw - not as clean as what I want, but OK. I an going to pick up one of those razor knifes (think box cutter) to see how that does.. For those that have done this what cutting tools did you use?

Fitment - I am going with a slight compression fit and a dab (10 cent size) of foam glue here and there. I may switch to double sided tape - less mess. Frame measures 68" inside to inside so cut 68.25. Seems to work well. Where possible I am padding the existing cross members out with strips of 1" of foam. so final finished sheet fits flush with the frame. Everything is not parallel, so I plan to go back and fill gaps with foam. Yes this could make removal later a slight pain, but I want this sealed as best as possible. Thoughts?

Thought or tips on where I am going? Ill post pictures of what I have done so far later today - need to run to HD and get supplies

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
    Cutting tools - what a pain to cut this stuff clean. I tried using a small circular trim saw (4") withe fine tooth plywood blade - got 6" and it was melting the foam. Then tried my typical Stanly knife - tore the foam as blade is too thick. Finally settled on a single edge razor blade with a good straight edge, - still tough to keep from wandering. It only cut about half way. I finished the cuts with my small Japaneses pull saw - not as clean as what I want, but OK. I an going to pick up one of those razor knifes (think box cutter) to see how that does.. For those that have done this what cutting tools did you use?
    Hot knife is what Nomad recommends. His series is worth watching (how to work with foam) even if a project is not on the list. All five videos are in a playlist. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38DM...wozEOunUz4M2Fl

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	179
Size:	572.4 KB
ID:	115026
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I have used this when cutting it for model railroad work:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is not perfect and you need to go slow, but you get a nice clean cut.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

howson ncitro

Boy you two really want me to make a mess let alone burn myself and everything near me. I have enough trouble with my heat gun not burning myself or something else when I put it down. My soldering iron came with a wire blade - depending on where I put it..

Anyway I picked up one of these today https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-9-...-HUS/310955137 Ill need it to trim the coroplast anyway.

Thanks for the good thoughts

Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

A serrated knife or bread knife works well too, just don't let the boss see you with it.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Yoda Hi Keith,

I have always used a "utility knife" with a sharp new blade extended most of the way so that the cut is on as shallow an angle as possible. Olfa makes good products and the black blades are sharper than the silver ones.

As for fastening in the foam . . . remember that it has to be removable for eventual service of all the stuff under there. This is why I used twist retainers as shown in my summary that you attached to post 1.

Rob

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-06-21 at 6.14.06 PM.png
Views:	166
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	115036
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              Yoda Hi Keith,

I have always used a "utility knife" with a sharp new blade extended most of the way so that the cut is on as shallow an angle as possible. Olfa makes good products and the black blades are sharper than the silver ones.

As for fastening in the foam . . . remember that it has to be removable for eventual service of all the stuff under there. This is why I used twist retainers as shown in my summary that you attached to post 1.

Rob

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-06-21 at 6.14.06 PM.png
Views:	166
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	115036
              I understand the removable. I got a roll of Gorilla double sided tape. I can split it and make small mounting squares to hold everything in place until the coroplast is in. Should be easy to undoo. Did you use anything to seal the seams between the sheets - maybe tape the seams? Not sure what will stick...Or do I even need to taps them?

Thanks
              Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Did you use anything to seal the seams between the sheets - maybe tape the seams? Not sure what will stick...Or do I even need to taps them?

Thanks
                Keith
                Hi Keith,

All of my foam panels are friction fit between new crossbars that I added. I added the twist tabs to hold them from lifting and also from dropping until the coroplast was put back.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have tried several methods including https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . The low angle on the super sized snap utility knife works about as good as any other method.

As for using a toothed blade, That sounds like giving a 2 year old an open bag of flower and NOT expecting it to end up in and on everything within 15'. Those little blue flakes would be everywhere. If you could find a sharpened round disk that might be a better solution. Something like say a tile blade without any radial reliefs. https://www.homedepot.com/p/QEP-7-in...003Q/100121214 most have a back cut behind the abrasive to help with heat buildup from friction.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

I use a hot knife for this. Keeps you from having styrofoam crumbs everywhere- have a pool in the backyard and they always seem to blow into it if I use a utility knife. The hot knife is faster and cleaner. I bought the Harbour Freight on on sale for $12.99 about 6 years ago.

Both of the hot knives below look the same- probably made in the same factory in China….

Harbour Freight Tools-hot knife ($29.99 on website - put on sale occasionally for $15.99)

https://www.harborfreight.com/130-wa...ife-60313.html

Northern Tools - hot knife ($13.49)

https://www.northerntool.com/search?...ource=bing_PPC
                    Eddie & Kathy
                    2021 Imagine 2970RL
                    2019 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab 4x4 Cummins 6.7L
                    Houston, TX

Comment

Working...
                    X