Reflection 150 226RK Storage Compartment support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflection 150 226RK Storage Compartment support

Ok, I'm looking for your thoughts on this here. The front storage compartment seems pretty Solid. I am thinking fof doing the following for additional support as I would like to add additional batteries.

I am thinking of using Flat Stock Aluminum run across from the frame rail to the frame rail and then running flat stock aluminum pieces like a ladder to add support for the front compartment floor. Does anyone see any downsides to this approach? my thought is the aluminum stock should help still keep it light but added the needed support to the bottom for the batteries.

I am in the computer field so I have no structural engineering background and am curious to those of you out there if this is a sound approach to beef up the fllor.

Thank you,
    2022 Grand Design Reflections 150 226RK GMC 3500 HD Turbo.

Originally posted by Ccreed View Post
    Ok, I'm looking for your thoughts on this here. The front storage compartment seems pretty Solid. I am thinking fof doing the following for additional support as I would like to add additional batteries.

I am thinking of using Flat Stock Aluminum run across from the frame rail to the frame rail and then running flat stock aluminum pieces like a ladder to add support for the front compartment floor. Does anyone see any downsides to this approach? my thought is the aluminum stock should help still keep it light but added the needed support to the bottom for the batteries.

I am in the computer field so I have no structural engineering background and am curious to those of you out there if this is a sound approach to beef up the fllor.
    Ccreed
    I can't directly answer your question, so if you don't mind a few thoughts...

Isn't the question, "How much weight is the floor engineered to carry"? That's (obviously) a query for GD Customer Service.

There's also the question of GVWR. How much does the rig weigh now (ready to camp) vs the camper's rating?

For the first question, how much weight is in the storage space now and how much will be added? (If GD can give you a specification that will inform whether it needs to be "beefed up" or not.)

For the second question, a trip to the local CAT scale (ready to camp) to take measurements is the only way to truly know how much payload is left in the camper. (Weigh the trailer connected to the truck, then park the trailer and weigh just the truck. From those numbers everything else can be calculated.)

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I added a piece of 3/4 inch plywood cut to span from front to back and set my batteries on that. The factory metal pan should hold 2 lithium batteries just fine.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Ccreed
        I can't directly answer your question, so if you don't mind a few thoughts...

Isn't the question, "How much weight is the floor engineered to carry"? That's (obviously) a query for GD Customer Service.

There's also the question of GVWR. How much does the rig weigh now (ready to camp) vs the camper's rating?

For the first question, how much weight is in the storage space now and how much will be added? (If GD can give you a specification that will inform whether it needs to be "beefed up" or not.)

For the second question, a trip to the local CAT scale (ready to camp) to take measurements is the only way to truly know how much payload is left in the camper. (Weigh the trailer connected to the truck, then park the trailer and weigh just the truck. From those numbers everything else can be calculated.)

Howard
        Hi all:

Question #1

OK forgive me here for being new weight I am looking at would be 4 200ah lithium batteries nothing else is in this compartment.

Question #2

How does one use a CAT scale do I just go where there is one and ask them to weigh me. Sorry I know nothing about over the road hauling and this is my 1st 5th wheel.
        2022 Grand Design Reflections 150 226RK GMC 3500 HD Turbo.

Comment

Hi all:

Question #1

OK forgive me here for being new weight I am looking at would be 4 200ah lithium batteries nothing else is in this compartment.

Question #2

How does one use a CAT scale do I just go where there is one and ask them to weigh me. Sorry I know nothing about over the road hauling and this is my 1st 5th wheel.
          Ccreed

Unlikely four batteries will cause an issue. Brian ( Country Campers ), who posted above, has a 5th wheel and his batteries are installed in the front compartment. See his installation here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...eflection-29rs

Another good one is WondersAwait 's thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...lectrical-mods

To your specific question about weighing the RV: there are a multitude of YouTube videos showing the process. Tom from Morton's on the Move has a short video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGh0fkDPats What Tom doesn't show is after weighing the combined truck and trailer, to calculate all the pertinent figures (pin weight, especially) disconnect the trailer in the parking lot and go through a second time weighing just the truck.

Mark from Keep Your Daydream has an in-depth video on the topic of what all the terms mean and how to calculate the figures. He had a travel trailer in the video so there's a slight difference in the percentage of pin weight normally seen vs tongue weight for a travel trailer. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwFLOBrADBs

For more on the Weigh My Truck app see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfelG30b8hs

So next time you're out and about with the rig ready to camp and happen by a CAT Scale, take a few minutes to do the weighs. If calculating the numbers is befuddling, post the two tickets (just the truck and then truck with RV attached) and someone here will help you out.

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I had 2x 105ah batteries in my front bay right after I bought it and the weight was fine for that flimsy sheet metal flooring. If I were going to put any more than 2 lithium batteries and a few odds and ends I would reinforce the floor with something; I think a piece of plywood cut to fit like Brian said would be sufficient, spread the weight out on something a little more solid. When I added 4 batteries to my system to give me a total of 6, I installed a shelf about 6 inches off the base of that compartment so the weight of my batteries are not on the floor at all. My shelf is mounted to the back wall of the front bay (reinforced with extra plywood) and then one of the frame pillars on the side. I mainly went the shelf approach to gain extra storage underneath the batteries so that I didn't lose so much of my front bay with that big of a battery bank.

I was also a total beginner when it came to towing a 5th wheel when we bought ours and going to the CAT Scales for the first time was equal parts super cool and anxiety-inducing. I watched the awesome video by KYD, took my time, and did my 2 weighs. Then calculated the specifics I was looking for later and have been very happy that I did it. Going back and re-weighing is something I look forward to because I'm a nerd about the numbers and my wife usually has to tell me "NO WE CAN'T GO WEIGH AGAIN" every time we pass a CAT scale on the road. lol
            David and Deana
            2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
            2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

Comment

Thank you,
              This is what I did on my 220RK
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002small.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	117182 I installed a 1.5 by 1.5 by 1/8 angle iron across the bay floor attaching it to the rear cross member and the aluminum frame up front.

Second reinforcement was easier

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010s.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	117183 The front lip of the storage bay is unsupported and I found my bowing so I added 1/4 sheet metal screws (self tapping) about every 12" across. I drilled piolet holes first. They are screwed into the aluminum front wall frame. After doing this I have had no issues. I carry 4 6V Crown golf cart batterys (flooded lead acid).

Hope this helps

Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
              X