Stabilizers Not For Leveling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stabilizers Not For Leveling

This is more of a curiosity question. So I have an Imagine 22RBE. It has 4 stabilizers each rated at 5000lbs. The Max GW for the trailer is 6000- lbs.

So here is the question. In theory, my stabilizers have the capacity to lift a total of 20000 lbs. So if this is the case, why do we not use them for leveling? I certainly don't do this, but I'm trying to figure out why we shouldn't do this. Is it because those 4 points on the frame would put too much load and twist it?

Does anyone know the real reason we don't do this?
    2023 GD Imagine XLS 22RBE
    Towed with a 2023 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

I'm going to assume (bad thing but it's all I have to work with) that you have the scissor stabilizers. If you look at the orientation of them, when they get fully extended there are 2 inherent issues both with stability.

1 - Orientation of the stabilizer is such that it has little longitudinal to vehicle travel stability (narrow base). True as weight on the stabilizer is increased so does stability, to a point.
    2 - The taller the stabilizer (more extension) the less stable it is due to the moment (torque) arm from the base of the stabilizer to the head of the stabilizer.

On our 1st BP trailer (about the same size as yours) I built blocks to put under the tongue jack and stabilizers to keep extension to a minimum. After that, I went with the pyramid stabilizers (this helped extensively).
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Great question. Sometimes, the admonition about not doing something is based off of outdated or incorrect requirements. In order to answer the question, where are you seeing the information that the stabilizers are rated for 5000#? And where are you reading that they should not be used for leveling?

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Hi Jim,

The 5000# rating is stamped right on the scissor jacks, and I have seen that I can upgrade them to 10000#'s if I want. As far as being told never to use them for leveling, I have seen that in almost every article and video I have watched. Of course I do take them with a grain of salt, but this one really has me curious...
        2023 GD Imagine XLS 22RBE
        Towed with a 2023 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

Comment

A couple of nuggets from the Imagine TT 2022 Owner's Manual:

The stabilizer jacks are located under the RV, attached to the
          frame. These jacks are designed only to stabilize the RV, and
          help prevent bouncing as occupants move around inside. (p.76)

All Four (4) jacks must have about equal pressure.
          â—¦ Uneven pressure on the jacks can twist the unit,
          causing doors and slide-outs to bind and/or operate
          intermittently. (p.77)

From my read, its less about the weight capacity of the stabilizer jacks and more about the risk of twisting the frame and binding components intended to move freely.

Mike
          Mike & Sonya
          2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
          Blue Ox SwayPro
          2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

If the attach points for the leveling jack are not rated for more than stabilizing forces, it doesn't matter what the leveling jacks themselves are rated for. The mounting point is the load limiting feature.
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I can say that on our 2014 BP unit, the jack head was the limiting factor. You just looked at that thing and it would bend. The tabs that hold it to the frame are thin. Couple that with on a lot of trailers I don't think they will reach the ground at full stroke without some form of leveling blocks under them. Ours had tubing blocking it down, but if the front of the trailer was closer to the ground than the rear the jacks were at 100% and still needed a block for any type of compression for stability.
              Joseph
              Tow
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                If the attach points for the leveling jack are not rated for more than stabilizing forces, it doesn't matter what the leveling jacks themselves are rated for. The mounting point is the load limiting feature.
                So is that why folks with Ground Control auto level jacks can literally lift their tires off the ground? The leveling jacks are mounted at different places on the frame?

I know it's overkill, but I still put pieces of 2X8's under my tires for side to side level if there is an issue, even though I have auto level. I just feel it puts less stress jacks, and then on the frame.

I'm not sure SpaceX is going to do any damage in using the stabilizers to level his trailer, but personally I'd just do it that way for minor adjustments.
                2020 Reflection 273MK
                2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

I think with the wrench supplied, similar to a speed wrench, one could not get enough force on the stabilizer screw to lift the trailer very far. You would have to move to a socket wrench or breaker bar to get more movement out of the stabilizer. When/if it breaks and you contact GD or even Lippert for replacement do not let them know that you did not use the supplied wrench.

Having the stabilizers on 2 previous TT's I could not get them to do much more than stabilize with only using the supplied wrench.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

With our UltraLight Bumper Pull Travel trailer and the bent speed handle, it was easy to lift the trailer off the ground. Keep walking around the trailer snugging up the individual stabilizers and it will eventually lift it off the ground. Been there done that more than once unintentionally.

The SO would run the jacks to the ground with the impact driver (specifically told not to let it hammer on them) and I would go behind and snug up with the tool. Still had to be careful that I did not lift or twist the trailer. I ended up with cross levelers on both ends so I knew that the trailer was not twisted.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                    X