Entry door insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entry door insulation

I have two entry doors in my 2023 GD 2800BH and it appears that there’s no insulation in either. The glow of the morning sun shines thru. Is this normal for a GD?

Hmmm . . . well, that’s new. The morning sun shines directly on our entry door and it does not look like this.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

BCtravelers -- x2 on Rob's input. I've never seen that in our 315RLTS. Almost like the entire foam core inside the door is missing?
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Interesting that the sunlight passes through both the exterior and interior skins of the door but not the blackout screen on the door window or the panel on the screen door. If the door was made in WA I would wonder if it is a Hanford Door (IYNYN).

I also see shadows from the bunk bed support (?) being cast on the door, all of which leads me to suspect that the light is not shining through the door but is being reflected back on it.
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

The door in the bedroom where there’s no windows near it also shines thru.

Comment

Can you go outside and cast a shadow if you stand in front of the door?

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I haven't seen that either. I know mine doesn't do that...
              Jim & Kathy
              2022 Imagine 2600RB
              2022 RAM 1500 Limited Longhorn, Hemi e-Torque, 3:92,
              trailer tow pkg, 4x air suspension, TT TPMS.

Comment

Originally posted by BCtravelers View Post
                I have two entry doors in my 2023 GD 2800BH and it appears that there’s no insulation in either. The glow of the morning sun shines thru. Is this normal for a GD?
                Could it be the lighting in the bunks reflecting on it?
                Even if the door were hollow, I doubt it would shine through both door skins.
                Rich

Comment

I've had these doors apart, and basically the foam insulation is what gives the door it's strength. If there was no foam there would be nothing supporting the interior and exterior skins. Unless they are making the doors different today.
                  2020 Reflection 273MK
                  2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

For what it’s worth, I did the flashlight test last night and it shined right thru. This doesn’t make since to me. I agree with Lonestare. The inside and outside skin should be laminated to foam for strength but I don’t think light would shine thru it. I’ll follow up with GD when I get home.

Comment

They do make translucent foam insulation.

https://www.kalwall.com/products/pan...nt-insulation/
                      2023 Imagine XLS 23LDE, 2022 Ford F-150 Super Crew Cab STX, Curt TruTrac hitch, Curt TriFlex brake controller, AMTIFO rear view camera, Tymate TPMS.

Comment

I can think of no physical way for light to pass through the outer skin of the doors, much less through the outer and inner skins. If there is not some other light source, then the sunlight must be refracting of a surface. If the color of the photo is true, then the surface is also acting as a prism with only the red wave lengths refracting.
                        John
                        2018 Momentum 395M
                        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

BCtravelers

I've got a piece of the foam insulation that I picked up from one of the production facilities at GD. GD does not, of course, manufacture doors (Lippert makes them) but I suspect the foam is similar to what LCI uses in their doors.

Out of curiousity I used the flashlight built into my Samsung phone to see if the light penetrated. Sure enough, it does. This "test" does not really prove anything except that light can pass through the typical foam insulation used in an RV.

Piece on the left is without the flashlight behind it, middle pic is obviously the flashlight used, and the pic on the right is with the flashlight behind the foam insulation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	115
Size:	804.2 KB
ID:	127848

Howard
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

If you have insulated basement (pass through) doors, repeat the conditions and see if the basement door is doing the same thing. Both would have been MFG by Lippert.

I find it odd that the 3 different materials of the door would transmit light like that, but anything is possible. I'd suggest you contact Lippert about that to see what they say. What use is a black out blind on the door if the whole door glows like a glow stick.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                              BCtravelers

I've got a piece of the foam insulation that I picked up from one of the production facilities at GD. GD does not, of course, manufacture doors (Lippert makes them) but I suspect the foam is similar to what LCI uses in their doors.

Out of curiousity I used the flashlight built into my Samsung phone to see if the light penetrated. Sure enough, it does. This "test" does not really prove anything except that light can pass through the typical foam insulation used in an RV.

Piece on the left is without the flashlight behind it, middle pic is obviously the flashlight used, and the pic on the right is with the flashlight behind the foam insulation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	115
Size:	804.2 KB
ID:	127848

Howard
                              Well foam has a high percentage of air bubbles. Air transmits light.
                              Ted
                              2021 Reflection 310RLS
                              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
                              X