Storing Outside in Windy Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing Outside in Windy Area

I've searched for this but didn't find anything...apologies if it's covered elsewhere...just point me in the right direction and give me a shove.

Am new to RV'ing. Taking delivery of a 2024 Imagine XLS 22MLE next week. I live in a very windy area...northwest of Denver, CO about 10 miles south of Boulder...right up against the Front Range of the Rockies. We get some pretty strong downslope winds here...it's not uncommon to get gusts of 60+ mph. I'll be storing the 22MLE in a storage yard that is pretty exposed. And my slot in the yard is very exposed..end of the row next to the yard boundary. The trailer will be getting hit broadside by the wind and that concerns me (I've asked to be put on the waiting list for a different spot in the yard when one opens up). I see other travel trailers and 5th wheels near mine that have the stabilizer jacks extended...some fully extended, others 90% or so extended. Is that OK to do? Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks very much in advance.​

Joel
    Last edited by jsgraves; 02-20-2024, 05:26 PM.

There is no issue in extending the stabilizer jacks for storage, I would recommend it in your circumstance. Put a wood block down and run the jacks down to touch, just like when you are camping. These are stabilizers and not meant for leveling so pressure is ok just try not to jack up with them. If you can you could also put water in the tanks to help keep the weight low and add weight. They do not have to be full but half full may help as well. Good topic and I have not seen this asked before. I hope you can get a better spot soon.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks very much Brian. Makes sense to extend the jacks until they make contact (with blocks). Water in the tanks during the Summer is definitely a great idea...and perhaps in other seasons as well with RV anti-freeze added. Also perhaps even anchoring at the 4 corners/jacks with screw-in ground anchors - e.g., GroundGrabba - and tie downs (storage yard is not paved...may or may not allow) to provide some additional stability during high wind events. Thanks again.

jsg

Comment

jsgraves - That's good advice from Brian. BTW, at last year's Grand Design rally in Quartzsite Arizona, we had 225 GDRV units of all types. One night, we had wind gusts in excess of 72mph. Many rigs, including Imagines were getting hit on the side by the gusting winds. None tipped over.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Sweet. Thanks very much TucsonJim for that info...definitely helps my peace of mind. I figure if I know we're going to have a major wind event ahead of it I'll hook up and get to a parking lot in lower elevation that's more sheltered and point into the wind.

So much to learn!! And thanks to people like yourself and Country Campers it'll be so much easier!! Can't wait to hit the road!!

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
            jsgraves - That's good advice from Brian. BTW, at last year's Grand Design rally in Quartzsite Arizona, we had 225 GDRV units of all types. One night, we had wind gusts in excess of 72mph. Many rigs, including Imagines were getting hit on the side by the gusting winds. None tipped over.

Jim
            None of us got any sleep either....... lol
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            2021 303RLS
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Working...
            X