Using levellers with auto level system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using levellers with auto level system

Has anyone run into the issue of not being able to place the (anderson) leveller behind the rear wheel ? Not enough room between tire edge and rear auto jack. Yes I've used the levellers and pulled the trailer onto them BUT that's puts too much pressure on the 5th wheel pin and I can't release the 5th wheel lock

I do not use them, but my father in law does. Once you pull onto them don't you need to chock the back of the leveler so you can release the pressure on the pin? That should solve the issue I would think?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I pull & back onto mine depending on the situation. My wife uses a level on the sidewall and goes a touch high, inserts the chocks and I then I put the truck in neutral and let it all “settle” never had an issue with pressure on the king pin.
      Scott & Mikaela
      2022 375 RES
      2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by GDBJG View Post
        Has anyone run into the issue of not being able to place the (anderson) leveller behind the rear wheel ? Not enough room between tire edge and rear auto jack. Yes I've used the levellers and pulled the trailer onto them BUT that's puts too much pressure on the 5th wheel pin and I can't release the 5th wheel lock
        What's the reasoning for using leveler blocks with an auto leveling system? I had a hydraulic leveling system on my last camper and an electric one on my current Reflection and let the jacks and sensors do the leveling. Works great.
        40-year Camping Enthusiast
        2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
        2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Originally posted by COReflection View Post

What's the reasoning for using leveler blocks with an auto leveling system? I had a hydraulic leveling system on my last camper and an electric one on my current Reflection and let the jacks and sensors do the leveling. Works great.
          You don't want to let the auto level lift the wheels off the ground, so if the site is super off level you need to block up the low side. We just use the yellow plastic blocks, but some (such as the OP) use levelers like the Andersen before then engaging the auto levelers.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

You don't want to let the auto level lift the wheels off the ground, so if the site is super off level you need to block up the low side. We just use the yellow plastic blocks, but some (such as the OP) use levelers like the Andersen before then engaging the auto levelers.
            Some of us 'el cheapo' types use plain 'ol lumber...lol...cuz I'm all about the environment....

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            2021 303RLS
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by GDBJG View Post
              We often use the Lane levelers to even out right to left. I have often found when the 5th wheel pin doesn't want to release, simply putting the truck in neutral eases the pressure and the lock opens right up.
              Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger
              2018 F-350 SRW Diesel long bed Platinum edition

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Gotcha. Thanks. I've seen mixed opinions on whether lifting the wheels is good or bad. We only boondock and often park in very unlevel spots. My wheels are often lifted but I dont worry about it I guess. I just let the electric or hydraulic leveling do its thing. I do put blocks under the jacks to reduce stroke length but never under the wheels.
                40-year Camping Enthusiast
                2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
                2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Definitely block your wheels up. For one thing the rig will be much more stable inside, but the frame is meant to be supported by the axles, you want the wheels on the ground for sure regardless of hydraulic or electric. I've used boards or blocks and my in laws use Andersen, any are fine, but you need the wheels on the ground for sure. I've seen some bad things happen when the wheels are up in the air on uneven sites.

Neil Citro

Comment

I use these on our 2021 Reflection. They're a little shorter than others: https://a.co/d/by12A3U

Good luck. Chip

Comment

Working...
                    X