Bar out over the side/rear from the roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    lager911 Don't forget Yoda. I believe he is a civil engineer.

Jim
    LOL fine, Green light by Guest Yoda Cate&Rob and TucsonJim

Comment

Originally posted by lager911 View Post

LOL fine, Green light by Guest Yoda Cate&Rob and TucsonJim
      So if you really want to do this a light weight triangular truss could be permanently mounted to the roof with a support beam down the back wall to the frame. All other concerns from the engineering team would be resolved where the bending at the center of the truss (Robs point) could be calculated. With a properly designed truss bending would be minimal with a 300lb vertical load.

Another consideration is how much flexion is taking place on the roof during trailering? These are flexible rolling boxes.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=0&ajaxhist=0

Still would not do it.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-02-2020, 08:58 AM.

Comment

OK Jim bringing in Triangle truss has ruined all the fun...that thing makes me want to give up

I'm going to propose a whole new design for the task of gymnastic rings off trailer using a few ideas yall have given me. In the end there is just too much rick to my not even 1 year old trailer and warranties.

Should i continue here or start a new thread? (no longer a bar off the roof so title is not very applicable)

Law

Comment

Law lager911 - If it was me (20 lbs. lighter, muscles like Arnold, and 30 years younger ! lol) I would have a welding shop add a trailer hitch (with appropriate design for your needs as well.) Yes, as has been well documented over the years, a trailer hitch added by someone other than LCI has generated a consistent response from GDRV that the frame warranty would be voided. This said, I and many others are not too concerned about this with the simple addition of an appropriate frame mounted hitch AND it is used in a manner not exceeding the RV frame/construction capacities. Could it become an issue......sure but life is full of "what ifs" and reasons to not do something. However, when appropriately done and used, the risk seems minimal indeed. Only you can determine this based on your propensity for risk and reward.

Your use of the rings does not seem an excessive, abusive, or inappropriate use of a 2' receiver hitch and thus damaging the RV and/or frame. Certainly creative but would seem to work well with the proper design. I would also consider additional stabilizers to the rear frame area as to not put undue stress on the existing rear stabilizers and further reduce RV movement when working out.

Our talented engineer friends may beg to differ with all this especially with the dynamic loads when you are swinging around like the "king of the jungle" !

Dan
          Dan & Carol
          2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
          2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

OK Jim bringing in Triangle truss has ruined all the fun...that thing makes me want to give up

I'm going to propose a whole new design for the task of gymnastic rings off trailer using a few ideas yall have given me. In the end there is just too much rick to my not even 1 year old trailer and warranties.

Should i continue here or start a new thread? (no longer a bar off the roof so title is not very applicable)

Law
            Please continue along with this thread , it has already generated much discussion and varying points of builds so one more (or 3) would not hurt.
            Canyonlight has a pretty good idea above and this could be left on the trailer at all times.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thinking out of the "box" (RV). I bet it would be pretty easy to gin up a frame that could be mounted in the receiver hitch of the tow vehicle. The RV would no longer be involved, and the receiver hitch in the tow vehicle would give a ton of stability and support.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Law
                Law,

That' ok. There is always more than one way to skin a cat. This method would have involved at a minimum a Tig welder and all the required aluminum material with some design.

Jim
                Last edited by Guest; 06-02-2020, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                  Thinking out of the "box" (RV). I bet it would be pretty easy to gin up a frame that could be mounted in the receiver hitch of the tow vehicle. The RV would no longer be involved, and the receiver hitch in the tow vehicle would give a ton of stability and support.

Jim
                  This is actually the way i was headed I was thinking mount 4 "arms" off back (either side of ladder and 2 off bumper) that would store up against back wall then swing down 90 deg to be attached to a 3 piece "door frame" made of 3 square steel tubes. Those tubes would be stored in bumper. Basically building a freaking freestanding power rack stabilized by rear of RV. Similar to https://www.mobilefitnessequipment.c...ducts/hitchfit

Comment

Working...
                  X