Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Side Windows - Laminate vs. Double Glazed(Insulated)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post
    Second Chance (Rob) -- as usual, a superbly informative post. Your testimony and first-hand experience has "sold" me on the DPWs.
    X2 - excellent feedback, Rob ! Now if we can just get the weight difference nailed down. Jim had a post a few days ago on this which was very helpful. If only LCI would would have a document detailing weights between single and dual pane windows of the same size. There have been SO MANY questions (and inaccurate posts) detailing weight differences.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Canyonlight Dan,

Since the difference in the aluminum frame would be minimal, the weight difference would approach double the SPW since the glass is the heaviest component. What does the SPW weigh? Who knows. Dead space between the glass is the most efficient design where laminated glass is found in every auto where they are quiet but not very efficient. Even home insulation is all about air entrapment where the fiberglass itself is not very efficient.
      LCI should be able to quote the shipping weight on the windows if they are willing. I could be interested in this too for the large windows in our slide out, depending on the cost.

https://www.dullesglassandmirror.com...ght-calculator

Jim
      Last edited by Guest; 02-03-2021, 09:29 AM.

Comment

https://youtu.be/flp1qwGlWlY During the factory tour the guide mentions that double pane windows are just two plates of glass sandwiched together providing a little better anti fogging. He says true insulated windows would not hold up in an RV with the vibration.

Comment

Originally posted by Luvnlife View Post
          https://youtu.be/flp1qwGlWlY During the factory tour the guide mentions that double pane windows are just two plates of glass sandwiched together providing a little better anti fogging. He says true insulated windows would not hold up in an RV with the vibration.
          I've seen that video... the young GD person is saying something different than what the Lippert technical folks say. I can also see an air gap between the two panes in my windows.

Rob
          Last edited by Second Chance; 02-09-2021, 11:55 PM.
          Rob & Laura
          U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
          2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
          2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
          (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
          Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post

I've seen that video... the young GD person is saying something different than what the Lippert technical folks say. I can also see an air gap between the two panes in my windows.

Rob
            When our 337 burned up, I snapped a photo of the window the fire department broke. You can get a good feel for the gap from the photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0543.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	42455
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

When our 337 burned up, I snapped a photo of the window the fire department broke. You can get a good feel for the gap from the photo.
              That brings back some sad memories, Jim - but it's good hard evidence. Thanks for posting.

Rob
              Rob & Laura
              U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
              2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
              2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
              (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
              Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Working...
              X