Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grand Design - What is the correct way to repair stripped screws on exterior?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoda

Hi Keith,

Your plan sounds good. I am familiar with rivnuts, but not these slotted body ones. I will be really interested to learn how this works. I would go with stainless bolts to avoid any future corrosion/rust issues. You might be able to find what are called “button head” bolts. They have an internal hex drive.

Rob
    Attached Files
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Yoda
      Yoda commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Rob
      My local Fastenall may have the washer head SS that I need. Ill check tomorrow on my way to my favorite deli for the Italian combo - grilled with jalapenos.
      I love it when a plan comes together

• Yoda
      Yoda commented
      Editing a comment
      Local Fastenall was a bust. I don't think I need a bag of 500, however online shows them by the piece. My local Ace may have the button head bolts you show. I have a few days before the tool and plusnuts get to me. Need to make a tow run tomorrow, so will look around.

I was not familiar with plus nuts/cross nuts.

Search "plusnut installation" to find some videos.

This one shows the what's behind the wall after installation.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jROrscT9p4

The plastic "shields" I now favor for hanging stuff on walls where you have no stud work the same way. The "shield" has wings that expand behind the wall to add structure.
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
    Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post
      I was not familiar with plus nuts/cross nuts.

Search "plusnut installation" to find some videos.

This one shows the what's behind the wall after installation.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jROrscT9p4

The plastic "shields" I now favor for hanging stuff on walls where you have no stud work the same way. The "shield" has wings that expand behind the wall to add structure.
      That video does a good job of explaining how the PlusNuts work. But I'd caution folks to be careful about using an impact driver to install them through a fiberglass wall. I'd be concerned about damaging the fiberglass. It would probably be better to use a ratchet and socket. I'd also suggest that anyone using them try it on a piece of scrap fiberglass first.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

I'd caution folks to be careful about using an impact driver to install them through a fiberglass wall.
        Jim
        Understood. Most of the videos show installation using wrenches, but they didn't show the mechanism behind the wall. This one did. Plus I liked his accent.

-Steve
        2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
        Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
        2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
        18k B&W Companion, non-slider
        640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
        Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
        Somerset, WI

Comment

Well I have the tool and Plusnuts - coming out of Texas. While you can probably get these nuts to expand with a long bolt and backing nut and washer to pull against, I decided to get the tool that's made for this. I will definitely take pictures and report how this works.

Update:: Tool and nuts have shipped and I did find 1" stainless steel washer head 10-32 machine screws at my local Fastenall along with SS washers to give me a better bearing on the backing channel. Fastenall requires you have a business account now rather than walk in cash folks, So I used my hay business and paid even less - go figure. Should have everything next Wednesday. Brother is coming to town so may use his help - then again

BTW - any thought on a bushing to fatten out the 10-32 bolts in the backing channel. The hole in the channel is 5/16" I think. Of am I fussing over nothing?
          Thanks again
          Keith
          Last edited by Yoda; 09-27-2019, 05:51 PM.
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post
            The rivets that we use are GD part #960736, RIVET - #625 TRI-FOLD LG FLG ALUM .039-.354 GRIP RANGE, BLAC. The wall thickness with the EGS backer is 1/4" thick.
            when I searched for these rivets, I found these. Are they the right ones?

http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/Fasten...ivet-100-pcs_2

Not using the plusnuts but wanted to have some rivets for repair’s if needed.

Vivian
            2018 Reflection 303rls
            Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
            Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post

The YouTube video on "Tri-fold" rivets shows a finishing tool that cuts off the post rather than snapping it out like a normal pop rivet. This may be to create a water tight fastener. The previously discussed fastener creates a threaded insert where a (removable) bolt is used as the fastener.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post

Yes, those are the same ones.

Comment

Thanks Megan and Rob 👍🏼
                  Vivian
                  2018 Reflection 303rls
                  Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                  Demco Recon

Comment

For those reading this I ended up using the plusnuts to repair the 4 lowest screws on each back channel. This thread covers the install https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...-screws-repair

I still need a solution for the top bracket screws as I cant get the plusnuts in without major awning removal.
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                    X