Roof Sealant Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Sealant Question

Can Grand Design please weigh in on the proper roof sealant to use during maintenance? I know Dicor lap sealant was acceptable on early units with EPDM roofs. Alpha Systems recommends their Super Flex lap sealant for the TPO roofs. Can other manufacturer's products such as Dicor sealants and Eternabond tape be used on Alpha systems roofing?

Thanks,

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Jim, I would like to add a question whether the attached is approved? While this seems obvious there was some internet discussion that the sealant listed with the Alpha name was counterfeit. I wrote Alpha Systems and did not hear back on this.

https://www.amazon.com/RecPro-Alpha-...3TXAJ9SQ722H9C

Comment

Ohhhh well hello there!! I am SO EXCITED! I have actually sent this over to our service team to make sure I answer it correctly. As soon as I have an answer from them... I will update this thread!

Comment

I was able to get an answer. TucsonJim Etrnabond tape can be used however, Dicor products can NOT be used for Alpha Systems Roofs
        Guest that product can be used where the awning rails meet the TPO

Comment

If you need more details, please tag me and let me know!

Emily

Comment

We are new to the GD family. Bought our first RV three weeks ago (Reflections 337RLS). Why is it you can't use Dicor on the roof? What am I missing GDRV-Emily ?

Comment

GDRV-Emily - Quite a while back, I contacted one of the GDRV reps by phone (A guy named Brian maybe?) and was told that any brand of lap sealant compatible with a TPO roof was acceptable. One of the frequent contributors on FB (SadieBear) talked to Alpha Systems and they said to only use their brand. I wonder if there is anyone who knows the technical reasons for either answer. For example, "if you use Dicor® brand of lap sealant, this is what will happen...)

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                GDRV-Emily - Quite a while back, I contacted one of the GDRV reps by phone (A guy named Brian maybe?) and was told that any brand of lap sealant compatible with a TPO roof was acceptable. One of the frequent contributors on FB (SadieBear) talked to Alpha Systems and they said to only use their brand. I wonder if there is anyone who knows the technical reasons for either answer. For example, "if you use Dicor® brand of lap sealant, this is what will happen...)

Jim
                I recall that Jim, and had bought and used the Dicor brand on several occasions. It appears to work well and has had no adverse reactions. Having said that, I don’t know if any changes have been made since our 2017 model roofs were used. I will also buy Superflex when I need a new tube. It will be interesting if GDRV-Emily gets any additional information.
                Steve, Sue, and pups Sky & Sierra
                2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
                2017 F350 CC, LB, 4x4, 6.7 Blue Ox WD

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Emily View Post
                  I was able to get an answer. TucsonJim Etrnabond tape can be used however, Dicor products can NOT be used for Alpha Systems Roofs
                  Guest that product can be used where the awning rails meet the TPO
                  GDRV-Emily what tube sealant product does GD use / recommend for roof sealing?
                  Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Did this get resolved elsewhere?
                    Loyd - USMC Retired & Dean - SSA Retired
                    Looking to Full Time as soon as we buy a 397TH
                    Currently working as a Government Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post

GDRV-Emily what tube sealant product does GD use / recommend for roof sealing?
                      Alpha Self leveling sealant is what we suggest using. 1021 self leveling sealant beige or white depending on what was used!

Comment

If you use Dicor on an Alpha Roof, you could experience the seal failing in the wind while traveling. This could cause a huge amount of damage to your roof, as well as pose a safety issue while driving!

While we cannot guarantee this will happen in all situations, we have seen it happen in the past and need to make people aware!

Comment

So, may I assume my 2018 Momentum 376TH has an Alpha roof?
                          2018 Momentum 376TH
                          2016 RAM 3500 Duall
                          y

Comment

Vonzoog, My 2015 Momentum has an EPDM roof but the rig came with Alpha paperwork. After an issue with the EPDM material they switched to Alpha sometime in late 2014. My build date was Nov. 2014 and delivery was Jan. 2015.

So pretty safe to assume yours is Alpha.

Edit: Also, Alpha has a texture to it where EPDM is smooth.
                            Last edited by JCR GD; 06-21-2019, 11:11 AM.
                            Jim (& Sharon)
                            2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
                            2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
                            The toys:
                            2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
                            2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Originally posted by JCR GD View Post
                              So pretty safe to assume yours is Alpha.

Edit: Also, Alpha has a texture to it where EPDM is smooth.
                              Thanks. Now I know how to tell them apart. Learn something everyday.

2018 Momentum 376TH
                              2016 RAM 3500 Duall
                              y

Comment

Working...
                              X