Windows coming open in transit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows coming open in transit

Loving most everything about our new 240RL, but there is one issue that has me a bit mystified.
    The problem is that the large slider windows in the dinette and at the rear (same size/type windows) don't close and lock reliably, and will often slide open up to 3 inches or so while we're on the road. Not a big deal if it's sunny, but...
    When we close them, the lock won't engage unless we REALLY slam them, so much so that I fear breaking the glass.

Anybody else have this issue? Better yet, anybody have a solution?
    Brian & Nancy
    2021 Grand Design 240RL
    2021 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, Max Payload, 3.73 axle, Reese Pro Series 15K

WingRider
    Wish I had a solution for you, but I can confirm that it sometimes takes a few tries to get the lock to catch, and it can take some persuasion. Before we travel, I just make sure to go around and try sliding each window open, confirming the lock is engaged.
    Last edited by StephenO; 06-20-2021, 06:44 PM.
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by WingRider View Post
      Loving most everything about our new 240RL, but there is one issue that has me a bit mystified.
      The problem is that the large slider windows in the dinette and at the rear (same size/type windows) don't close and lock reliably, and will often slide open up to 3 inches or so while we're on the road. Not a big deal if it's sunny, but...
      When we close them, the lock won't engage unless we REALLY slam them, so much so that I fear breaking the glass.

Solution
      Drop in to any hardware store and pick up some wood doweling the fit mostly in the lower track and some eye hooks. Close window tightly and cut dowel for a tight fit along lower track. Place an eye hook in the down to help with placement and removal.

If you post pictures of the latches we may be better able to advise. Mine were slightly adjustable and I was bale to solve the issue. Also double check the corners of the frame for any debris that might prevent the window fully closing. I found a wad of the seal felt in mine.
      Save travels

Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I have a 2021 Grand Design Momentum 376 THS. I have had this problem since the unit was new. We have the frameless windows and some of them crank open and closed. The front window on the upper level living room, left side works its way open while traveling. Once it opens a small crack the window must buffet from the wind which wears the small nylon bushings that go into the track. This eventually allows the window to open fully and whip open and closed. I now have to put duck tape on that window while traveling to prevent this. The regulator that controls the window is a poor cheap design, but cost plenty to replace. Anyone else with that problem. And if so, is there a fix. Some say, really crank down the windows. I am afraid that something will break if I crank any tighter. Thanks

Comment

toddrivard Welcome to the Family and the forum!
          Have you contacted your dealer about replacing the conrol? That should be covered under your warranty. If your dealer isn't convienent then you can contact Grand Design directly and open a case. You also may be able to secure the handle on the inside, but I had the same problem with a SOB, but found the solution in tightening it down more.
          When you have time, the moderators have taken the time to create a Welcome Letter to help new members have the best possible experience on the forum including posting tips, how to set up a signature line and searching the forums. You can find the letter at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members.
          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
          Nash County, NC
          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

WingRider Have you tried a silicone spay in the window channel??? I know that on one of my trucks I was having issues and a little silicone spray helped a lot. May also be that the seals just need to wear in a little.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by WingRider View Post

I have also had this issue show up on three different Windows from time to time. I just got back from an eight day trip and took a good look at the locking latch. I noticed that the latch has somewhat of a indentation at its tip that I realized was not always "seating" itself when I closed the window. All I can offer is that after I made sure the latch was properly engaged I haven't had one open again (knock on wood)
              Brian
              2017 Silverado 2500 HD diesel
              2018 Reflection 230RL

Comment

Working...
              X