Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stopping water intrusion from blown tire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stopping water intrusion from blown tire.

Hello,
    Imagine 2600rb. Right rear tire lost its tread and put a big hole in the floor on top of it. there is extensive damage to the inside of the trailer above the tire. I taped some wood down over the hole but driving in the rain all day today, lots of water came in. Does anyone have suggestions of what to cover the hole with?
    I do have a tst507 but beacuse the tire still held air I didn't get an alarm.
    Thank you for suggestions.
    2020 2600rb

If you can fit a piece of plywood over the hole and silicone and screw it in above the tire for a temporary fix, this would help.

Since you have a 2020 model I believe you have E rated tires. GDRV sells the metal plating for the wheel well area where using these could be part of a permanent solution to a repair once the hole is patched.

Jim
    Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2022, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Can you apply the plywood from the bottom? This will help with water intrusion also.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by cruzin View Post
        Hello,
        Imagine 2600rb. Right rear tire lost its tread and put a big hole in the floor on top of it. there is extensive damage to the inside of the trailer above the tire. I taped some wood down over the hole but driving in the rain all day today, lots of water came in. Does anyone have suggestions of what to cover the hole with?
        I do have a tst507 but beacuse the tire still held air I didn't get an alarm.
        Thank you for suggestions.
        If the hole is all the way through the floor is it possible to fill with body filler (epoxy with fibers in it). Then cover with Red Guard water tight sealer . Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG5GIqcYkSs Home depot carries it.

Hope this helps
        Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I applied a wood patch and a load of Gorilla tape from the underside. The tire failure removed the thin sheetmetal scatter guard before getting to the underside of the floor. Not a GD trailer.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I taped wood sheets down with gorilla tape. The hole is about 10" wide and 3 feet long. I couldn't figure how to add wood to the bottom above the tire. It's still going to allow water to get underneath the floor but it's the best i could do. Unfortunatly I am in Missouri and heading for home in Pa. btw. Just had 4 Goodyear Endurance tires put on. The westlakes only lasted 2 1/2 years and 9000 miles.

Thank you.

Midwest Camper
            You'd think grand design would put metal above the tire and not just thin wood and coroplast.
            Last edited by cruzin; 04-15-2022, 05:58 PM.
            2020 2600rb

Comment

Originally posted by cruzin View Post
              Thanks for the replies. I taped wood sheets down with gorilla tape. The hole is about 10" wide and 3 feet long. I couldn't figure how to add wood to the bottom above the tire. It's still going to allow water to get underneath the floor but it's the best i could do. Unfortunatly I am in Missouri and heading for home in Pa. btw. Just had 4 Goodyear Endurance tires put on. The westlakes only lasted 2 1/2 years and 9000 miles.

Thank you.

Midwest Camper
              You'd think grand design would put metal above the tire and not just thin wood and coroplast.
              Sorry for your misfortune. If you can, drill through and add some small bolts and washers through a wood plate and locate above the tires and on the underside of the floor. Or screws. I believe the latest models have the metal plates where I thought your model year at least had E rated tires. Can you confirm?

Good choice on the Endurance tires. The Westlake's are the only tires I've read about that sheds its tread and still remains fully inflated where this was prevalent on their E rated models. I bailed on my D rated Westlake's after 2000 miles even though the D rated versions were reported as being ok in general.

Jim

Comment

I have the E rated tires and the 4400 axles. But still have the dark interior. Don't want to do too much because the insurance adjuster is coming next week when we are in Bailey's Point campground in Ky.
                Trailer was built in May of 2019.
                Thanks for the replies.
                2020 2600rb

Comment

Working...
                X