Slide cover install 2021 Momentum 30G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide cover install 2021 Momentum 30G

I am planning to self-install slide covers for the BR and LR slides. I just called GD customer support to verify there is some structural backing behind the exterior camper wall skin, and the technician reported (after apparently consulting drawings) that the rear LR slide does have backing above the slide to attach an awning rail, but the front BR slide has no backing. He stated that I cannot install a cover on the BR slide since the awning rail has nothing substantial for attachment. Just looking for confirmation / other comments on this report from GD. Doesn't make sense that they would design a trailer without the ability to install a slide cover.

If there is backing it is most likely galvanized sheet metal. You could use a strong magnet to check for yourself whether there is backing in the area or not.
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

mcwinter -- Forum Contributor JBill9694 is spot on. For more detailed information check out https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...-it-in-your-rv
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I used a magnetic retriever as shown in the video to test the wall areas above both slides. No steel was detected. I also tested the wall area directly below the large awning on the right side of the RV, and I could feel steel for 3-4 inches below the awning attachment. Does this mean I should not attach a slide cover awning to either slide even though the Grand Design tech stated the rear awning has adequate backing? Is it possible they installed steel backing on the right side for main awning support, and aluminum on the left side?

Comment

Originally posted by mcwinter View Post
          I used a magnetic retriever as shown in the video to test the wall areas above both slides. No steel was detected. I also tested the wall area directly below the large awning on the right side of the RV, and I could feel steel for 3-4 inches below the awning attachment. Does this mean I should not attach a slide cover awning to either slide even though the Grand Design tech stated the rear awning has adequate backing? Is it possible they installed steel backing on the right side for main awning support, and aluminum on the left side?
          Aluminum backers? I did not see any evidence of aluminum backers on any unit while touring the GD factories. If there's steel EGS the magnet will find it. On interior walls or in the Transcend line there are wood backers, but to my knowledge wood is not used in the exterior walls of laminated trailers. (Exception: there is what looked like 2x2 wood inserts inside of the aluminum tubes of the laminated walls that form the frames where a screw could/will be driven in lieu of EGS backing.)

The "right" answer to your "Does this mean I should not..." question is no. Without backing every manual I've read says not to install a slide cover. But...depending on your tolerance for risk...there wasn't by-the-book backing on my 315RLTS and I've had no issues for well over a year and thousands of miles of towing. The slide roller rail was installed with butyl tape to secure it to the wall and then each screw was gently seated. For the full story, check out https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...all-19-315rlts

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by mcwinter View Post
            Just looking for confirmation / other comments on this report from GD. Doesn't make sense that they would design a trailer without the ability to install a slide cover.
            From looking at the drawings that Grand Design has supplied to the forum moderators, the information from your contact at Grand Design, is correct. There is no indication of EGS backer in the exterior wall above the bedroom slide. BTW . . . if you contact Grand Design Customer Service with your VIN, they will send you drawings with the stipulation that these not be posted on any public site.

Rob

Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
            X