What Type of Sealant??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Type of Sealant??

My 2021 Reflection 315RLTS uses a thick/strong black rubbery but solid/hardened sealant for where some of the wires come into the slides. It's sort of like silicone sealant, but it's much stronger. That stuff is tough.

Can someone tell me what that sealant is? Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sealant 1.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	356.0 KB
ID:	86562
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Sealant 2.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	86563
    Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
    2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Good question.
    The sarcastic person in me wants to say its probably a mix of silicone and unobtanium.
    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I have used Mono brand black “Silicone Pro” . . . which seems to have very similar characteristics to the original factory caulking . https://dap.ca/products-projects/pro...-silicone-pro/

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        I have used Mono brand black “Silicone Pro” . . . which seems to have very similar characteristics to the original factory caulking . https://dap.ca/products-projects/pro...-silicone-pro/

Rob
        Thanks, Rob. However, that product appears to be available only in Canada. I guess I'll visit my local Home Depot and see if they have anything close to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmer View Post

Thanks, Rob. However, that product appears to be available only in Canada. I guess I'll visit my local Home Depot and see if they have anything close to that.
          DAP also makes "Silicone Plus" which appears to have the same attributes, but only comes in clear and white.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Contact the GD parts department, I order my trim sealant from them. They might have the exact one that is on your rig.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...y/parts-lookup
            Vivian
            2018 Reflection 303rls
            Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
            Demco Recon

Comment

Beachcamper 's post reminded me that GDRV had supplied me with a tube of sealant that they use. I still have the tube, and it looks to be the exact same material that is shown in your pictures.

Jimmer It's called Geocel 2300 Vehicle Body Sealant. It comes in clear and black. It states "Specifically formulated for heavy duty truck-trailer, truck body applications, including the RV industries.

Here's a link to the product:

https://www.geocelusa.com/product/23...-body-sealant/

At the top of the page, there is a tool to locate a distributor.
              JIm​​​​​​​
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                Beachcamper 's post reminded me that GDRV had supplied me with a tube of sealant that they use. I still have the tube, and it looks to be the exact same material that is shown in your pictures.

Jimmer It's called Geocel 2300 Vehicle Body Sealant. It comes in clear and black. It states "Specifically formulated for heavy duty truck-trailer, truck body applications, including the RV industries.

Here's a link to the product:

https://www.geocelusa.com/product/23...-body-sealant/

At the top of the page, there is a tool to locate a distributor.
                JIm
                Jim, Thanks so much, that's the info I was looking for. It's the Geocel 2300. I'll order some up use it to seal some things on my Reflection.
                ​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmer View Post

Jim, Thanks so much, that's the info I was looking for. It's the Geocel 2300. I'll order some up use it to seal some things on my Reflection.
                  Unfortunately, it appears that the entire U.S. is out of black Geocel 2300. Looks like I need to find an alternative. Unfortunately, the DAP Mono black “Silicone Pro” is not sold in the U.S. So, two good suggestions, but just not available in the U.S. Any alternative recommendations would be appreciated.

Comment

Open range (Highland ridge) used to use that on their exterior trim in a matching gray color. It is a very robust caulk although I am not sure its the same as the black stuff in the OP. I dont have them in front of me to compare but my recollection says they are similar but not the same. Note that this is free internet opinion and worth precisely what it costs.
                    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Bit late, but I found this stuff to be pretty good at filling and lasting. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Big-Stretch...-Caulk/4411173 I've used it on this and the previous 5er.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                      X