Trailer tongue paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer tongue paint

2022 2600 RB trailer tongue starting to show rust spots. Does this require special paint, it appear and gfeels textured?? Anyone ??
    Laura, Trevor's partner 2022 GD Imagine 2600RB- May 4

I use Rustoleum Rust Reformer paint to neutralize the rust, then use a flat black paint to finish it off.

JIm
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I have also had good luck with Rustoleum Rust Reformer staying stuck to rusty metal and old paint . . . although, if the current paint feels “textured” the corrosion may be under the existing paint. You may want to wire brush or sand the original paint, first.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        I have also had good luck with Rustoleum Rust Reformer staying stuck to rusty metal and old paint . . . although, if the current paint feels “textured” the corrosion may be under the existing paint. You may want to wire brush or sand the original paint, first.

Rob
        Thats interesting! Hope it wasnt rusted before they painted it. We will do some testing on it. Thanks for ur response!

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          I use Rustoleum Rust Reformer paint to neutralize the rust, then use a flat black paint to finish it off.

JIm
          Great idea thxs

Comment

I use a rubberised rocker guard spray paint on the tongue, frame, stabilisers and suspension parts. My trailer was delivered to the dealer (in Ontario) in January and when I took receipt in April (2021) there was extensive rust about the frame and undercarriage. The dealer did some touchup, but not near enough. I wire-brushed and painted /sealed with this product: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/r...html?rrec=true. It's held up well and only required some minor touch-up this spring.

I have to believe similar rubberised products are available on Amazon and elsewhere in the U.S.

Mike

Mike & Sonya
            2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
            Blue Ox SwayPro
            2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

One of the diesel forums I frequent, the rust belt guys use https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/p...5874p.html#plp https://www.amazon.com/POR-15-45404-...s%2C108&sr=8-5 on the frames and other components after wire brushing. The only bad thing is it does not like sunlight, so they top coat with something else. The POR stops the rust and seals the rest.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

I have used Rustoleum paints after a wire wheeling of the corrosion with some success. Once you get a good base laid down its easy to "touch up" in the future. I used a semi gloss but thats totally a personal preference. When we took delivery of our 337RLS I went over all the painted metal parts underneath (frame. springs, brackets) with Fluid film. I have been using it under my vehicles for a few years now with success. Easier and more effective than painting in my opinion.
                I would advise against using any rubberized coating on the trailer. This type of coating will encapsulate rust and once it gets moisture behind it can hide problems and allow them to get bigger. I experimented with using it on my personal vehicles and on the trucks at work around 15 yrs ago and came to the conclusion that it makes things worse. The problem is that the amount of prep required to lay it on (like a bedliner) is significant and impractical on a frame.
                Most of the underbody corrosion on RV's is from poor prep and paint. They could spend the time and large amounts of $$ to do it better but that cost would have to be passed along, some owners arent too concerned about it.
                2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Thanks everyone!!

Comment

Working...
                  X