Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof repair! A new roof!

Hi everyone,
    We ended up with a roof issue that we had to get resolved. The front was peeling up, there were issues in the back, and punctures in the side corners of the roof.
    I did my research and decided to go with Flex Armor sprayed on roofing. I have to tell you that it exceeded my expectations. I researched the two major alternatives to a new roof (which my dealer was recommending) and when I told my Insurance Adjuster that I was thinking about an alternative, his eyes lit up. Why would I replace a bad roof with another bad roof?
    As I looked, I really focused on the spray on roof from Flex Armor. I know it isn't for everyone since you have to go to the location to have it installed. But for me, that was OK.
    I ended up at the Prescott, AZ location (www.azrvroof.com) with Sean and John. They had 50A service out in front of the garage, which I was able to use overnight before my appointment. The team worked with me to determine what I needed and kept me up to speed during the process. I have a Winegard Sat Dish, Winegard WiFi extender, and the usual complement of goodies on my 385GK. They took great care of my rig and sprayed on a thick coating of goodness that will keep the rig from leaking forever. They installed solar mounts that I will install my panels onto. The roof looks amazing. They recommended bull nose coping for the corners due to the butt type corner that the roof and the walls make. That gives it a rounded base that is sprayed on to instead of the gap that is created with the normal GD roof. I was really impressed by the work.
    The team took great care of the rig and great care of us too. A great update with pictures and a 3 day turn around was pretty amazing.
    Please let me know if you have any questions. I am truly happy to have a roof on my camper that will last as long as I want to keep it. We love the floor plan of the 385GK and haven't found anything that we like more than than this layout.​

That is great to hear. I have heard plenty of good things about the Flex Armor roof system, in fact we have friends that needed a new roof as theirs was bubbling so they went with the Flex Armor as well. This will provide you years with no roof worries.

Welcome to the Forum, have a read of our Welcome Letter to New Members and I hope you will stick around.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Do they remove the old roof membrane first and verify no roof deck damage exists?

Do the spray over the fasteners that hold the roof systems down (like the sat antenna, WiFi, vents, etc.?

What did it cost?

Thanks

There is always these guys too if one prefers a new roof membrane. I've visited the site - nice work, nice people (near Chattanooga, TN).

Comment

I need to do a section of flat roof at the house and ran across this stuff: https://crazyseal.com basically a DIY flex armor for about 1/3 or less of the cost. Option to leave or remove the existing roof.

Should have the flat roof at the house done in a few weeks. Been waiting on the heat to die down and good weather. Think I am going to take a week off as I need to pull existing metal and go back with plywood.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

It's good to know I have a company in Arizona that can do this if it's ever needed. Thanks for the update.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
            I need to do a section of flat roof at the house and ran across this stuff: https://crazyseal.com basically a DIY flex armor for about 1/3 or less of the cost. Option to leave or remove the existing roof.

Should have the flat roof at the house done in a few weeks. Been waiting on the heat to die down and good weather. Think I am going to take a week off as I need to pull existing metal and go back with plywood.
            Interesting find.

Jim

Comment

So with a 50 year warranty, if someone were to "coat" the entire outside surface of a camper with this stuff, THEORETICALLY it might possibly outlast the owner.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

If the existing roof is usable, they will reuse it. Otherwise they will remove it and install clean.
                Thanks,
                Chris

Originally posted by plastictires View Post
                Do they remove the old roof membrane first and verify no roof deck damage exists?

Do the spray over the fasteners that hold the roof systems down (like the sat antenna, WiFi, vents, etc.?

What did it cost?

Thanks

There is always these guys too if one prefers a new roof membrane. I've visited the site - nice work, nice people (near Chattanooga, TN).

Comment

I share the concerns that issues could be sealed in under the spray on coating. But at the same time, If it lasted 20 of those 50 years I would be 86 years old and would most likely have other issues to worry about. I think the key here is to follow the companies policies such as if a mandatory annual inspection is needed to keep the warranty. How long they have been in business and so on.

I like "RV Roof Install" down in Georgia but it would not be possible for us to go there each year for the mandatory inspection as an example. I like this fellows Youtube video in how poorly RVs are built. More on, More on. LOL.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Chris T View Post
                    Hi everyone,
                    We ended up with a roof issue that we had to get resolved. The front was peeling up, there were issues in the back, and punctures in the side corners of the roof.
                    I did my research and decided to go with Flex Armor sprayed on roofing. I have to tell you that it exceeded my expectations. I researched the two major alternatives to a new roof (which my dealer was recommending) and when I told my Insurance Adjuster that I was thinking about an alternative, his eyes lit up. Why would I replace a bad roof with another bad roof?
                    As I looked, I really focused on the spray on roof from Flex Armor. I know it isn't for everyone since you have to go to the location to have it installed. But for me, that was OK.
                    I ended up at the Prescott, AZ location (www.azrvroof.com) with Sean and John. They had 50A service out in front of the garage, which I was able to use overnight before my appointment. The team worked with me to determine what I needed and kept me up to speed during the process. I have a Winegard Sat Dish, Winegard WiFi extender, and the usual complement of goodies on my 385GK. They took great care of my rig and sprayed on a thick coating of goodness that will keep the rig from leaking forever. They installed solar mounts that I will install my panels onto. The roof looks amazing. They recommended bull nose coping for the corners due to the butt type corner that the roof and the walls make. That gives it a rounded base that is sprayed on to instead of the gap that is created with the normal GD roof. I was really impressed by the work.
                    The team took great care of the rig and great care of us too. A great update with pictures and a 3 day turn around was pretty amazing.
                    Please let me know if you have any questions. I am truly happy to have a roof on my camper that will last as long as I want to keep it. We love the floor plan of the 385GK and haven't found anything that we like more than than this layout.​
                    We’re interested in the same roof type. Sadly, we have to drive (RV camp) to OK (Prescott may work also) which is many miles away; that’s a good reason to camp in new places. You stated that they had 50 amp service for you, but did you spend your entire stay in your RV, or did you sleep someplace else (your post kind of states that, but verifying)? Did you leave items in the fridge, or did you travel empty? Was there any key things you were told to watch out for after you picked it up (OK has hail, but then so does CO, where we live)? TIA.
                    Elke and Heinz
                    2018 Chevy 3500 SRW Duramax SB
                    2021 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Working...
                    X