No announcement yet.

New Owner Which Fifth wheel hitch to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I talked to my RV dealer and he suggests the Pullrite 2400 which is a gooseball adapter . It is light and can work with factory puck system . Also said it is much lighter and easier to hook up. Also that you can lock out the turning point hitch and use it like a normal king pin as with the standard bed thai system sets it back far enough so that the rv won’t hit the cab. I’ll do more research as at first glance it looks easy. But you never know

Comment

I use the same hitch, but it is the 2600, which attaches to the underbed gooseneck ball. The 2400 attaches to standard rails; otherwise is the same hitch. Am very happy with the hitch. Really easy to hook up. No issues with turning clearance. You have various ways to mount the 2600 to increase or decrease turning clearance. There are some good videos on youtube.
      Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
      2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
      2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
      2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
      Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

ajrupert8008@yahoo.com I just realized that the photo to the left of my post is the clearance of truck to trailer with said hitch in post #17. You can click on the photo to enlarge.
        2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584

Comment

DarnDave Thank you. I ended up buying a truck without the puck system but am adding a turnover BW gooseneck. I plan on using the 2600 like you said. Pull rite and my dealer both said they have seen no problems with turning radius with the 2020 or newer GM trucks . Maybe can’t go a full 90 degrees, but the weight and ease of this hitch seem to be well worth a few degrees less. But I will post when I get a few trips in us. Thank you

Comment

ajrupert8008@yahoo.com , you're welcome. That is the exact setup I have. I think it is great. Happy travels

Comment

Originally posted by M&K337 View Post
              We put the b&w companion in our truck. It fit the factory pucks with no problem. We have the long bed so didn’t see a need for a slider. Purchased thru etrailer.
              I plan to order a B&W Companion OEM (Ram "puck system") soon. Although my truck has the ~6.4' box, the RV dealership and the B&W dealer advised I will not need the slider unit for my 337RLS.

For the OP, while not getting into the matter of "what is the best", I will advise recognizing the difference between"price" and "cost". Of course, functionality is important as well (can it be removed fairly easily in one or two pieces if necessary?, etc.).
              Last edited by Summit1; 03-08-2021, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Summit1 Our truck is a long bed, so I can’t say how it sits in a shorter bed. The B&W is pretty heavy, but easy to break down into 2 pieces. If you have a place with a way to use a come along or a hoist there is an adapter that locks into the jaws to remove the whole unit.
                2022 Momentum 397THS-R 12/3/2021
                Traded 2021 Reflection 337
                2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW
                Formerly M&K337

Comment

Originally posted by ajrupert8008@yahoo.com View Post
                  Hello! We are getting our new GD Reflection 150 series 278bh in April. I am currently looking for a Chevy or GMC 3/4 standard bed to pull it with. The reflection comes with a Lippert Turning point king pin and I am trying to find the best reasonably priced hitch that works with it. I am going to have the puck system in the bed so it has to be compatible with that. Any ideas! Also do I need to buy a new wedge for the hitch? Thank you
                  I have a Reese Titan R20 and love it (no longer made) My recommendation is take a hard look at the B&W. It will be my go to next time. Also I don't use the turning point - have it locked out. I don't need it or the issues folks are having with it. If you do decide to use the the correct wedge is critical and make sue it is set up correctly.
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by M&K337 View Post
                    Summit1 Our truck is a long bed, so I can’t say how it sits in a shorter bed. The B&W is pretty heavy, but easy to break down into 2 pieces. If you have a place with a way to use a come along or a hoist there is an adapter that locks into the jaws to remove the whole unit.
                    I do not foresee a need to remove the unit very often, but thank you for the advice. I am (obviously) new to fifth wheels and will likely be asking for advice as I go along. I am thinking that, with the vertical adjustment at mid-height (can be changed fairly easily), it should clear everything OK.I assume (there's a dangerous word) that "over the axle" for the longitudinal (front-back) setting is probably where I will have it set.

What impressed me about the B&W stuff is their attention to detail, and everything appears somewhat more solidly designed and built. Having a hitch of this caliber may seem a bit of overkill, but it will likely outlast me. The local B&W dealer said I should be good with a non-slider. Will be discussing this more with him today.

Comment

Summit1 , most trailers are not over 8 and half feet wide to comply with state laws. If you lay a board over the truck bed above your rear axle and then swing an arc of 4 feet 3 inches from where your king pin will sit that will give you a better indication of whether you need a slider than listening to people who may or may not have experience with your particular TV
                      John
                      2018 Momentum 395M
                      2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                      Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Working...
                      X