Main issues with GD Xplor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main issues with GD Xplor

I am a first time user on this forum as well as a first time buyer. I am looking at a 2022 Xplor 260RB to live in full time for a couple of years however after reading some reviews people seem to have quite a few issues with leaks and manufacturer problems quite early on. I’m not sure if this is common with most travel trailers and you have to just work out the kinks or if this is more specific to the new grand designs? Since I will be living in the trailer full time and working full time owning something that has what seems like a possibility to need maintenance here and there might not be the best option. Any advice helps, thanks.

Originally posted by cadedeforge View Post
    I am a first time user on this forum as well as a first time buyer. I am looking at a 2022 Xplor 260RB to live in full time for a couple of years however after reading some reviews people seem to have quite a few issues with leaks and manufacturer problems quite early on. I’m not sure if this is common with most travel trailers and you have to just work out the kinks or if this is more specific to the new grand designs? Since I will be living in the trailer full time and working full time owning something that has what seems like a possibility to need maintenance here and there might not be the best option. Any advice helps, thanks.
    Welcome, cadedeforge. I realize you're a "tire kicker" at this point, but if you'd like to know more about this forum check out the Welcome Letter to New Members here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

My .02: every recreational vehicle regardless of manufacturer will have issues. Every RV owner, unless they are willing to pay a mobile mechanic or has a really good friend nearby, will have to do regular preventative maintenance and repairs. I bought my trailer in July, 2018 and have yet to come back from a trip without a list of "things to fix". Since you'll apparently be stationary there may be less issues, but there will be issues even if it's "only" regular maintenance to prevent leaks, etc.

I'm sure others will have much to add to this thread, so please check back often and let us know what you decide (even if it's not a GD) with the purchase rationale.

Good luck!
    Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

We are new to RV travel. We don't live in our 2022 200MK Transcend. We use it to hop from place to place as we travel, rarely spending more than 2 nights, and usually only one night in any park. Our trailer is new, built this past August. We picked it up on the last day of August, so it was very fresh from the factory.

Our first trailer was an Airstream FB22. It was only a few months old and still under warranty when we paid high dollar for it at a dealer. That trailer had many problems. We sold it for what we paid for it, and and then got our 200MK.

Frankly, we have been amazed at the build quality, and the very few minor problems we've had with this trailer. The 200MK is at the very low end of the Grand Design line, a small and no-frills trailer, yet one that fills our needs perfectly. There were problems with two drawers, took us a couple of days with screws and glue to fix. Not worth the hassle of a trip to the dealer shop for such minor repairs. We have a problem with the entry door, now waiting for the new door from the factory, but this isn't a problem that prevents us from enjoying the trailer fully. And that's about it for problems.

Our observation, after nearly a year in RVs, first the small Airstream, and now this Transcend, it is apparent that RV life is not for the wrenchless. Service is difficult to obtain. The owner absolutely MUST be able and willing to do minor, and even a few non-minor repairs and adjustments. We don't see this as a disadvantage because that's our nature; we tinker on things. We can see how someone not familiar with doing home DIY repairs would not be happy in an RV.
      Ruth and Patrick
      2022 Transcend 200MK
      2021 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by KrustyKush View Post
        it is apparent that RV life is not for the wrenchless.
        I'm going to plagiarize that line!

To the OP. I've owned many different brands of RV's over the last 30 years. They all require some TLC. When they are manufactured, they try to make the lightest unit possible and it needs to bounce down the highway. And of course, everyone wants the unit to be as inexpensive as possible too. If a unit was built too rugged, it would weigh tons and cost much more.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
        X