Satellite connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satellite connection

I recently purchased a 2018 337RLS 5th Wheel. Is ther a central location that the coax cables terminate or come together?
    I want to use a directv dish on a tripod I have connected the Coax to the Sat connection in the panel but the receiver, (which is connected in the cabinet where the coax terminates), says there is no dish. I connected the cable directly to the receiver and it works, There is roof mounted "Dish" satellite on the roof is that a problem.
    Last edited by lilpat; 02-08-2022, 07:32 PM.

Originally posted by lilpat View Post
    I want to us a directv dish on a tripod I have connected the Coax to the Sat connection in the panel but the receiver says there is no dish. I connected the cable directly to the receiver and it works, There is roof mounted "Dish" satellite on the roof is that a problem.
    What model RV do you have? This will help us help you.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I want to us a directv dish on a tripod I have connected the Coax to the Sat connection in the panel but the receiver says there is no dish. I connected the cable directly to the receiver and it works, There is roof mounted "Dish" satellite on the roof is that a problem.
      Welcome to the forum, lilpat. As outlined in the Welcome Letter to New Members (link here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members ) it helps if the specific year and model of GD trailer is included with the question. If you'll give the letter a few minutes of your time the time spent on this forum will be much more productive. (At least that was the idea when the letter was created.)

To your question: are you sure the SAT "on the panel" is actually connected to where you're attempting to wire in the receiver? A continuity test from point-to-point (assuming you know how to use a multimeter) is a relatively easy way to confirm. There are specialized gadgets on Amazon for testing coax. (Search for coax cable continuity tester.)

With more information someone here could possibly provide more info. Again, welcome.

Howard

Edit: You beat me to it, Brian! Country Campers
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

This is a 2018 337RLS
        Last edited by lilpat; 02-08-2022, 07:33 PM.

Comment

It is possible that the roof mounted system is causing you an issue. Where are you trying to connect the dish, at a connection in the pass thru storage area, door side or near the water panel?

You may try to connect to the "cable" connection and then connect the receiver to the "cable" connection at the tv. Also make sure that the signal booster is OFF, this is located on the ceiling somewhere in your rig, maybe underneath the over the air tv antenna.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I will try the pass thru in the storage area. The pass thru near the water connection did not work. I may have to figure out how to bypass the roof mounted dish.

Comment

I will try the pass thru in the storage area. The pass thru near the water connection did not work. I may have to figure out how to bypass the roof mounted dish.
              Jim TucsonJim , Paul Paul & Deb , and Rob Second Chance all owned either 2014 or 2015 337 Reflection fivers at one time. I seem to recall that one of more of them ran into issues with Sat. connections and came up with solutions and possible answers to your challenges.

Maybe one of more of these helpful members may chime in......thanks, in advance guys !

Dan
              Dan & Carol
              2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
              2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Hi lilpat, I had a 2015 337RLS and had a Wingard satellite dish. In the early going I had constant issues with the system needing to be reset and DISH support believed the issue was that it was losing power, which comes through the coax. I checked the fittings behind the Nautilus panel and every other connection I could find to no avail. Finally, I just added a coax port under the kitchen slide out, running a short coax from a port under the slide directly up to upper cabinet next to the TV where my DISH receiver was. I never had the problem again so ....

Paul and Deb Cervone
                2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
                2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

The solution that Paul (@Paul & Deb) implemented (with pics) is what I did on our Reflection. We also had problems with our new Solitude, but I was able to cut and tap into the satellite antenna cable underneath the slide rather than installing the hull-through connector. Make sure that any coax you use to connect the antenna externally is quad-shield.

Rob
                  Rob & Laura
                  U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                  2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                  2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                  (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                  Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Paul Paul & Deb and Rob Second Chance - appreciate you providing some feedback, guys ! for lilpat I recall the coax port being added to the slide after a number of posts over weeks/months. Seems a number of others used your idea and they too were pleased.

Dan
                    Dan & Carol
                    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

I finally opened the panel behind the water & coax hookups and discovered that the satellite coax cable had been disconnected from satellite connection and attached to the cable that went to the roof.

Comment

I finally opened the panel behind the water & coax hookups and discovered that the satellite coax cable had been disconnected from satellite connection and attached to the cable that went to the roof.
                        I'm sure that's not the first "surprise!" you'll come across in your used camper. Ah, the joys of owning an RV, eh? (Thanks for the follow-up.)

Don't forget to check out the Welcome Letter and enter a signature line...

Howard
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

How do you close this topic??????????????????

Comment

How do you close this topic??????????????????
                            It does not need closed as this may lead to further discussion. Glad you found the issue and resolved it.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                            X