Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

337RLS Skylight, Roof Leak and Other Failures. Poor Build Quality and Quality Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe better - just remove all of those tapered head "drywall" screws from the production line... period.
    Ken & Sandra
    2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

Seriously! There’s very few places they are needed. Wondering if they ran out of proper screws when building mine. Does seem like i have a disproportionate amount of these used everywhere they shouldn’t be.

Comment

rototerrier Not just yours with the incorrect screws. Remember the factories typically get bulk shipments and not always do they come with screws, even then they tend to use the bulk bin of screws. Ever notice how just about everything in the camper is put in with the Robertson (square) drive button head in either self tapping or wood variety? Again bulk bin and they either drag the bin with them or load up a nail / tool bag with them and get after it.
        Last edited by Jlawles2; 03-12-2023, 10:27 AM.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

While I have a 303 and not a 337, mine is a 2023 model and I too have had several issues since purchasing in September. I'll spare the details here but my main reason for posting is that we are 700 miles from home and it poured last night. I just got this unit out of the shop for a bedroom slide leak on Monday and we left Friday for this trip.

We have had rain a couple of times and I've been nervous about the slide. So far so good.

The storm last night was a deluge and I have a skylight leak. Figured we hit a tree branch or something.

Got on the roof this morning and we also have sheet rock screws that were overtightened which cracked it in two places (so far). I took pics and made temp repair AND sent an email to Grand Design.

I'm seriously considering gettng rid of this unit and going back to Keystone.

Bruce and Michelle - and Callie (GSD)
          2019 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4L HEMI
          2023 Reflection 303RLS (purchased 9/2022)

Comment

Originally posted by jbt816 View Post
            I'm seriously considering gettng rid of this unit and going back to Keystone.
            I had a Dutchmen that was warranty administered by Keystone. All I can say is the only two phrases they know are "I did not get an email", and "that's not covered under warranty". Sidewall cracks, roof sagging, and other issues. Since Keystone became part of Thor the quality has declined exponentially. Buddy has a Jayco and experienced similar issues (again part of Thor).

I don't really want to get into brand bashing. They all have issues. Even the skylight install on all of the brands comes down to the person installing the screws. I agree they should be using a different screw, but it's usually what in the bag they are working out of at the time since they get covered with sealant.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

I have never seen those type of screws on an RV. As was already stated, they typically use a pan or truss head screw with a Robertson #2 drive. It looks like someone ran out of screws and sent somebody down to the Ace hardware to get a few boxes of whatever they had. Big mistake using flat head screws on those applications. Someone made a big mistake. GD should be able to track the line and people that built that unit by using your VIN. Thats just bad show.
              2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

x2 on familytruckster4 supposition of what likely happened. Grand Design has already notified dealers of this situation. Unfortunate when this is identified, but the immediate remedy of tape or caulking over the cracks will make things water tight and GD will make it right with a new dome installed with correct screws.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post

I had a Dutchmen that was warranty administered by Keystone. All I can say is the only two phrases they know are "I did not get an email", and "that's not covered under warranty". Sidewall cracks, roof sagging, and other issues. Since Keystone became part of Thor the quality has declined exponentially. Buddy has a Jayco and experienced similar issues (again part of Thor).

I don't really want to get into brand bashing. They all have issues. Even the skylight install on all of the brands comes down to the person installing the screws. I agree they should be using a different screw, but it's usually what in the bag they are working out of at the time since they get covered with sealant.
                  I had forgotten that Thor bought Keystone. So you're probably correct in saying that quality has declined and you are correct - they ALL have issues.

Grand Design called me this afternoon and agreed that it was covered; they provided a case number. I just explained (even toned, not angrily) that I was frustrated with the quality of the build and had repaired multiple items as well as taking the coach into the dealer several times because of a bedroom slide leak - and that I've only had the unit since September. He told me each unit is inspected unlike other brands (he mentioned one) which only inspect a certain number of units. He did say that the "drywall screw into the skylight" issue has happened before and they were aware of it but it wasn't made a recall because it hadn't been that many units.

So....I can schedule an appointment with the dealer or buy an Icon skylight for $200 and do it myself.

Comment

Bruce - I had two skylights that needed changing at about 4 years due to UV damage. I did it myself and it took a couple of hours each. But I used a dark tinted replacement to keep the heat and light down. It made a huge difference.

I documented how I did it here:
                    https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...ht-replacement

If you tackle this yourself and you're in Southern Arizona, I'd offer to give you a hand.

Jim
                    Jim and Ginnie
                    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                      Bruce - I had two skylights that needed changing at about 4 years due to UV damage. I did it myself and it took a couple of hours each. But I used a dark tinted replacement to keep the heat and light down. It made a huge difference.

I documented how I did it here:
                      https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...ht-replacement

If you tackle this yourself and you're in Southern Arizona, I'd offer to give you a hand.

Jim
                      Thanks for the offer. I appreciate it.

I've actually replaced them before as well. It's kind of a "it's the principle..." vs. I'm a natural-born cheapskate vs I prefer to have an Icon tinted skylight.

Comment

Originally posted by jbt816 View Post
                        So....I can schedule an appointment with the dealer or buy an Icon skylight for $200 and do it myself.
                        Call GD back and ask if they will approve a "DIY" repair. They might just say yes...and send you the new skylight. Ask for sealant, too! They might even agree to a partial reimbursement if you go with a fancier skylight instead of the replacement--doesn't hurt to ask!
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Call GD back and ask if they will approve a "DIY" repair. They might just say yes...and send you the new skylight. Ask for sealant, too! They might even agree to a partial reimbursement if you go with a fancier skylight instead of the replacement--doesn't hurt to ask!
                          I did ask for an Icon in smoke and he said they wouldn't replace it with something that didn't originally come on the unit. He didn't offer anything about meeting me halfway. I may try again.

I could reach out to the dealer and ask them. Maybe they could back door the question?

Thx

Comment

Being as this is a "recall" they will not do anything outside of factory replacement.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

GD would not do a better skylight for me either. They would cover the cost for a mobile repair though. I contacted a mobile repair and they would have installed any skylight i supplied and gd would have paid for the labor. Basically, you could get the icon and have gd cover the install.

i preferred doing it myself to ensure it was done correctly. Just my personal preference. I’ve had no more issues since installing the icon.

GD also tried to tell me that the screw type didn’t matter and that they were just over torqued. That’s bs. A counter sink screw is not correct and will apply pressure where there should be none until the plastic eventually cracks.

Comment

Originally posted by rototerrier View Post
                                GD would not do a better skylight for me either. They would cover the cost for a mobile repair though. I contacted a mobile repair and they would have installed any skylight i supplied and gd would have paid for the labor. Basically, you could get the icon and have gd cover the install.

i preferred doing it myself to ensure it was done correctly. Just my personal preference. I’ve had no more issues since installing the icon.

GD also tried to tell me that the screw type didn’t matter and that they were just over torqued. That’s bs. A counter sink screw is not correct and will apply pressure where there should be none until the plastic eventually cracks.
                                There is no way to properly torque it when the screw is incorrect. Sheesh, at least they could own the mistake.
                                2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Working...
                                X