Tool Boxes - Options and Placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool Boxes - Options and Placement

For our first two years of owning a trailer (first a bumper pull and now a fifth wheel) I’ve used a single deep plastic tool box with two trays that I’ve carried in my truck. With the bumper pull, it was in the bed under the tonneau cover, but with the fifth wheel, it has resided in the floor of the backseat as the box isn’t weatherproof. My only hesitation with moving everything to the trailer has been that what I’m going to need at home will likely require a trip to the trailer when we’re not traveling.

But I’m now ready to put most of my tools in the trailer and am looking at options. I’m getting away from the deep box and using a regular box with drawers. The 280RS has a “outdoor kitchen” that had a dorm refrigerator and a TV - both of which I’ve removed as being impractical for us. That looks to be better than the forward compartment as far as accessibility, but will require a little modification in order to fit a 26” long box. The candidates are similar boxes from Husky and Gearwrench.

What have others found to work as far as tool storage and where to place a toolbox?

Attached Files
    2022 Reflection 280 RS
    2020 Silverado 2500 HD

Originally posted by BR549 View Post
    For our first two years of owning a trailer (first a bumper pull and now a fifth wheel) I’ve used a single deep plastic tool box with two trays that I’ve carried in my truck. With the bumper pull, it was in the bed under the tonneau cover, but with the fifth wheel, it has resided in the floor of the backseat as the box isn’t weatherproof. My only hesitation with moving everything to the trailer has been that what I’m going to need at home will likely require a trip to the trailer when we’re not traveling.

But I’m now ready to put most of my tools in the trailer and am looking at options. I’m getting away from the deep box and using a regular box with drawers. The 280RS has a “outdoor kitchen” that had a dorm refrigerator and a TV - both of which I’ve removed as being impractical for us. That looks to be better than the forward compartment as far as accessibility, but will require a little modification in order to fit a 26” long box. The candidates are similar boxes from Husky and Gearwrench.

What have others found to work as far as tool storage and where to place a toolbox?
    What I use for the majority of tools, consumables, and test equipment is individual soft-sided bags (Harbor Freight, Bauer, Hercules, Kobalt, etc). The red bag is Electrical, Blue is Propane, etc.

Each bag also has a thermally-sealed label attached so it's easy to identify what's in them should they be the same color (Electrical, Plumbing, Tools, Spare Parts, Consumables, etc).

The bags are piled on top of each other in the pass-thru, since that's the only space to realistically store them in my 315RLTS. Definitely not the most elegant solution (and it's a nuisance to pull almost all of them out to find the one I need) but it works.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Harbor Freight Bag.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	106904

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Cate&Rob has quite a setup..... he will probably post a pic now that I tagged him
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      2021 303RLS
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

After our first year with the 5th wheel, I decided that there were going to be enough things that needed fixing that I needed a workbench with easy tool access. The front compartment became the location for this. I never liked tool bags or boxes because the tool you need is always at the bottom and you have to rummage through everything else to find it. I have a number of small bins for screwdrivers or pliers or wrenches and so on. Large tools go in a space under the workbench. The RV has its own set of tools. If I took tools back and forth to my home workshop, I would always forget something at one place or the other.

More details attached to the first post of this thread. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/interio...lection-303rls

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I use 2 of these for hand tools, plus 2 smaller bags for cordless tools and batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
          2003 Ford F250 6.0 CC 4wd SB
          2016 Reflection 27RL
          1999 Keystone Sprinter 27FWBHGL (SOLD)​
          Lakeland, FL

Comment

I have this in my truck bed for large items and tools I may need when not near our 5th wheel https://a.co/d/7u86es4

In the rig itself I have 3 bags (like others have mentioned) with tools, a medium sized plastic tote and a couple screw organizers like this for small parts https://www.lowes.com/pd/ReliaBilt/5013311665
            Scott & Mikaela
            2022 375 RES
            2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

So I run a UWS crossover Deep tool box in the truck. Depending on your setup you could go with a low profile (I think the make a low profile deep now) or a floor mount. Be careful with the height of the box in a hard turn with elevation changes (I nipped the front cap).

https://www.uwsta.com/part/TBSD-69-LP-BLK also comes in polished. Check for fitment.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
              X