Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At whits end

Hello all,
    We have owned our GD for 3 years now and have a constant mouse problem. We park during the summer on our farmland and do what we can to lower the mouse environment. The first year it was really bad with the buggers getting in all the compartments and a few inside. While wintering in GA, I found they were getting in the heater air box and traveling thru the ducts. I fixed that and slowed them down a lot. I had them getting in the rear kitchen compartment, but found a huge air vent where they could crawl in. I was able to fix that. Now I am just catching them in the front storage compartment. I have searched everywhere and did the light test from both the inside and the outside.
    The only possibility I can see now is where the hydraulic rams go to move the kitchen / dinette slides. Due to the cylinders and the rack, I do not see any way to seal this off. Any ideas / tips?

BTW; I have used cab fresh, Downey sheets, Irish Spring soap and all electric sonic deterrent devices. I have become a professional trap setter using Jiffy Chunky for its value and aroma.
    "No place to go, No hurry to get there"
    2019 GD Momentum 376 TH
    2015 Dodge 3500 Cummins
    2015 HD Ultra Classic Limited

Snakes like mice, just sayin 🤷.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Jeff - If they can get in the underbelly, there may be a way for them to get forward. One of the common entry points is where the spare tire cable goes up into the underbelly. I dropped my spare, and used Gorilla tape to make that hole as small as possible and still have the cable move.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Yes Jim. The previous owner used spray foam around the cable and hole.
        2019 GD Momentum 376 TH
        2015 Dodge 3500 Cummins

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          Snakes like mice, just sayin 🤷.

Brian
          We have 5-6 foot bull snakes running around the area. Thye need to do their job
          2019 GD Momentum 376 TH
          2015 Dodge 3500 Cummins

Comment

We don't seem to have a mouse problem . . .

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2728.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	116838
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

We remove all food/spices from our rv (and anything with a scent - to include soaps, shampoos, deodorant) when we store our rv and have steel wool or expanded foam at possible points of entry. Might be worth spending 100 bucks to call an exterminator for some ideas from a professional. Some poisoned mouse bait around the possible of entry sounds like an idea you might not have tried.
              Eddie & Kathy
              2021 Imagine 2970RL
              2019 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab 4x4 Cummins 6.7L
              Houston, TX

Comment

Ive heard of people putting copper wool around the slide racks and any other openings that they cannot foam shut.

Check around the axle connection points as this is an area where the coroplast does not seal well.

One other thing that was done with the GF's BIL at the hunting lease was when leaving bait out, also leave a source or water as that is what activates the bait. Put the water external to the camper so hopefully the critters depart the breathing outside the unit.

Don't forget to check roof access points as well. Critters are quite the entry experts.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

You wont be able to close the trailer up tight enough to keep them out. I have them in my shed and the only way to combat it by scorched earth tactics. I use the poison bait and take precautions against secondary poisoning. Between the baits and occasionally a bucket with the peanut butter trick on a roller I can keep them controlled. Once they set in its a constant battle.
                  2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2024 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas with faux Allison 10 speed. Nellie the Diva, wonder boxer

Comment

x2 on familytruckster4 ‘s advice. The bait and the traps need to be outside the trailer. I have put traps on top of the tires when parked. Too many folks put the mouse attracting bait inside the trailer . . . which just draws them in.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

If we should ever have a mouse onboard, I would put out non poisonous bait and wait for post 6 to solve the problem.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                      X