Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under step storage

Afternoon everyone.
    Have a Reflection 303RLS and I’ve been thinking about shoe storage.
    the 2 steps up to the bedroom look like they would be good candidates to create some badly needed shoe storage.
    I’ve had a brief look to see how the treads are attached because my thoughts are to cut the tread and hinge it.
    I can’t believe I’m the first one to consider this but haven’t found any threads where it has been done.
    1. What do you folks think of this?
    2. Anyone able to give me a heads up on how the treads attached?
    3. Anyone think of negatives to this?
    Thanks in advance for reading.
    Bob
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ford F250 Super Duty Diesel

Originally posted by Bob6548 View Post
    Afternoon everyone.
    Have a Reflection 303RLS and I’ve been thinking about shoe storage.
    the 2 steps up to the bedroom look like they would be good candidates to create some badly needed shoe storage.
    I’ve had a brief look to see how the treads are attached because my thoughts are to cut the tread and hinge it.
    I can’t believe I’m the first one to consider this but haven’t found any threads where it has been done.
    1. What do you folks think of this?
    2. Anyone able to give me a heads up on how the treads attached?
    3. Anyone think of negatives to this?
    Thanks in advance for reading.
    Bob
    Good post. I've been thinking about the same thing on mine. I would love more shoe storage options.
    40-year Camping Enthusiast
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

First step (excuse the pun) should be to remove the false wall aft of the pass through and see if the space under the steps is already being used for something.
      John
      2018 Momentum 395M
      2018 Ram 3500 Dually
      Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

This is what I did.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	shoe storage.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	119320

The second step needs to be removed first, access to the screws is from the back side, found by removing the panel in the pass thru storage. The first step has screws down thru the carpet covering, feel around and you can find the holes from installation. There may also be screws holding the first step at the back side, again accessible from the pass thru storage. Lift the second step up and out of the way and then you can rotate the first step for removal. I have thought about redoing this to add a center support.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Moved to interior/storage channel.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I am thinking of doing something similar.
            Here is a quote from another site. Owner has a 2018 303RLS
            Maybe it will help you.

I removed the stairs, not the treads. Each step is built individually as a unit and then screwed down to the floor. I don’t think you can remove or work on the treads without removing the stairs. To remove the stairs, take the backing off from the pass through compartment. The screws that hold the stairs in place are accesssible from the pass through compartment with one exception. The front of the first stair (as you face it) is screwed down on an angle through the front of the riser. There is a hole in riser covered by the carpet that allows access to it. All are rather long square head screws. Once you have the individual stairs out, you can access the components of the step
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            2021 303RLS
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Thanks to everyone who responded.
              given me some ideas and where to look to start the process.
              If and when I start this, I’ll be sure post pictures and be available if anyone wants to know what I did.
              Appreciate the information.
              2019 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
              2019 Ford F250 Super Duty Diesel

Comment

Any finished pictures of this? Thoughts about a support in the middle? Like to consider

Comment

Originally posted by theboss17 View Post
                  Any finished pictures of this? Thoughts about a support in the middle? Like to consider
                  I just finished mine. The center support was part of the step frame and is actually off center. But that works - one side for size 11.5 and the other for smaller shoe size.

It is a tight fit. I was able to pull the entire bottom step assembly out but couldn’t get it to go back without first removing the tread from the frame. The tread was glued and screwed to the step frame. I didn’t have to remove the second step.

Found a matching stain color at Lowe’s. The color that matched mine was Oxford Brown. I got a sample can that was less than $5. I used the stain for the new frame I built for the end tables when I added a piano hinge to the table surface.
                  Last edited by BR549; 12-12-2023, 02:18 PM.
                  2022 Reflection 280 RS
                  2020 Silverado 2500 HD

Comment

Ah the beauty of "can't see it from my porch" construction. Have seen it too many times when I worked home construction.

Stain looks like a good close match.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                      Ah the beauty of "can't see it from my porch" construction. Have seen it too many times when I worked home construction.
                      I can’t say that I understand.
                      2022 Reflection 280 RS
                      2020 Silverado 2500 HD

Comment

Originally posted by BR549 View Post

I just finished mine. The center support was part of the step frame and is actually off center. But that works - one side for size 11.5 and the other for smaller shoe size.

Looks Great. Did you put a board at the back of the step or is it still open to the pass-thru?

Jerry
                        Jerry & Debbie Johnson
                        2023 Reflection 303RLS
                        2014 Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry J View Post

Looks Great. Did you put a board at the back of the step or is it still open to the pass-thru?

Jerry
                          I removed the carpet from the piece of paneling that was the riser and stapled it with the finished side showing to the back of the step frame to close it off from the pass through.
                          2022 Reflection 280 RS
                          2020 Silverado 2500 HD

Comment

I can’t say that I understand.
                            Means the people building the units cannot see that the internal support is not centered once it leaves their area. Implying that "it's close enough and don't really care". I never cared for that mentality when I was doing carpentry work. Had to be right and even if covered I wanted things symmetrical and centered (made it easier for me later).
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

It is a tight fit. I was able to pull the entire bottom step assembly out but couldn’t get it to go back without first removing the tread from the frame. The tread was glued and screwed to the step frame. I didn’t have to remove the second step.

Found a matching stain color at Lowe’s. The color that matched mine was Oxford Brown. I got a sample can that was less than $5. I used the stain for the new frame I built for the end tables when I added a piano hinge to the table surface.
                              Is the back of the shoe storage now open to the basement pass through storage space?
                              40-year Camping Enthusiast
                              2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
                              2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Working...
                              X