Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question (Front Compartment Weight Capacity)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question (Front Compartment Weight Capacity)

Afternoon Everyone
    Hope everyone had a great Christmas.
    We’ve just loaded trailer to head to warmer climates and I have been thinking. I know, thinking can be a dangerous thing.
    We have loaded a tool box (probably 50 lbs), the power cord, 4 wood blocks and a 2kw Honda inverter generator in the front compartment.
    My concern is it looks like the bottom is sheet metal, no frame directly below the compartment.
    Do you guys think this is too much weight?
    Happy New Year everyone.
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 12-31-2023, 08:28 PM.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ford F250 Super Duty Diesel

You should be ok, but, I would try to secure it to one side so it is not sliding around. You could also take some tools out and put them in other boxes to spread the weight if you are concerened.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I agree with Brian
      That's not too much weight
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Thanks very much for responding guys.
        Been an incredibly busy last few weeks and maybe I’m second guessing myself.
        Just looking forward to a nice easy trip without problems.
        Stay safe
        Bob
        Last edited by Bob6548; 12-31-2023, 07:42 PM. Reason: Correct spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Bob6548 View Post
          Afternoon Everyone
          Hope everyone had a great Christmas.
          We’ve just loaded trailer to head to warmer climates and I have been thinking. I know, thinking can be a dangerous thing.
          We have loaded a tool box (probably 50 lbs), the power cord, 4 wood blocks and a 2kw Honda inverter generator in the front compartment.
          My concern is it looks like the bottom is sheet metal, no frame directly below the compartment.
          Do you guys think this is too much weight?
          Happy New Year everyone.
          Sorry Brian and Scott
          That's about the weight that buckled mine even before I added the 4-6V battery's. The front lip of that pan is unsupported (unless GD changed things). If you see it start to crease and sag downward, I would re-arrange and lighten the load. I actually ended up screwing it into the front aluminum cross member and adding a cross brace under my battery bank. If you can have the gen and tool box on opposite sides that would help.. I have a thread here on my fix somewhere. Just keep a close eye on it.

Just my 02

Keith

Happy New Year
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thanks Keith, when I looked at it I wasn’t sure if it was supported by any method but the lip on the tray sitting on front framing. Nothing to support underneath.
            I’m thinking I might just tuck generator inside door while driving. No gas in it so shouldn’t be an issue.
            Better to be safe than sorry..

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
              The front lip of that pan is unsupported (unless GD changed things).

Happy New Year
              My 2021 303RLS is supported at the front edge........ I'm pretty sure? I'll look later today.

Happy New Year!

Comment

Well, I went and checked and Yoda the little green sage is correct. The front of the steel pan is not supported on my 303. Thanks for pointing it out Keith.

Comment

Thank you guys. I put the generator just inside the door and no problems. Have run about 1200 miles in last 2 days.
                  Glad I put the miles in with the weather that’s being forecast for the weekend.
                  Stay safe everyone.

Comment

Working...
                  X