Pantry drawers hit door during travel - 377MBS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pantry drawers hit door during travel - 377MBS

Continuing to go through this 5th wheel and fix small things. Noticed marks on the inside of the pantry door. These lower 3 pullout drawers/shelves do not latch in place, and can move out about an inch during travel. Anyone with a pantry setup like this have a solution to holding the drawers in place?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1489.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	131129

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1488.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	131130
    Jeff & Janice
    2019 Solitude 377MBS, 5.5kW Onan, Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, EquaFlex/wetbolts, Triangle TRT01 LRG tires, Splendide W/D, Magnum Energy 3000W inverter/charger, 4-225AH-6V NPP AGM's, Winegard WiFi extender, RV airflow, Progressive Ind HW EMS, Andersen Ultimate Hitch​

The easy fix would be rubber bumpers on the door or drawers.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Cut a pool noodle in half and stick it between the door and the drawers for travel. should be stiff enough to stand upright for you to close the door.

The other option is to swap out the guides for latching ones, or add barrel latches or child locks to the drawers to lock them in place.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Pool noodle or pipe insulation could work. It adds a step to my setup/teardown list. Felt or rubber pads/bumpers would always be in place, but look a bit poor. Always a tradeoff on these fixes. Just scratching my head that they are free to move from the factory. Thank you all for the advice.
        Jeff & Janice
        2019 Solitude 377MBS, 5.5kW Onan, Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, EquaFlex/wetbolts, Triangle TRT01 LRG tires, Splendide W/D, Magnum Energy 3000W inverter/charger, 4-225AH-6V NPP AGM's, Winegard WiFi extender, RV airflow, Progressive Ind HW EMS, Andersen Ultimate Hitch​

Comment

If you put the insulation across the top of the drawer you might be able to leave it in place.

don't know how much room you have between the drawer and the door, but something like https://www.amazon.com/INIRET-Self-C..._source=1&th=1 or https://www.boatoutfitters.com/sprin...w_wcB#216=6890 might be an option if you want something that is automatic and does not require an extra step, however it does add the step when opening.
          Joseph
          Tow
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BWSTGDS View Post
            Continuing to go through this 5th wheel and fix small things. Noticed marks on the inside of the pantry door. These lower 3 pullout drawers/shelves do not latch in place, and can move out about an inch during travel. Anyone with a pantry setup like this have a solution to holding the drawers in place?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1489.jpg Views:	23 Size:	75.2 KB ID:	131129

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1488.jpg Views:	20 Size:	132.9 KB ID:	131130
            John is correct on the solution.. Go to HD, Lowes or any good hardware store and find 1/2" thick bumpers. If the don't have them find 1" diameter rubber balls (Wally World toy department) and cut them in half and just hot glue in place. Or if you can find 1/4" bumpers you can attach to the door and the drawer apposing each other to fill the gap.

Hope this helps
            Keith
            On edit - you can add a wood filler strip on the drawer to fill the space, but would probably need felt squares to keep from rubbing the inside of the door. The filler strip could also just be a pull handle with padding too.
            Last edited by Yoda; 03-30-2024, 10:28 AM.
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I don't have a Solitude, but are those drawers factory? The 303 has a pantry like that but just shelves. I'm thinking if those drawer faces are actually wood, it must be a mod by a previous owner?
              I'm thinking a black or dark browny/grey rubber strip where the finish is boogered would be a good way to prevent more damage and cover up the current scrapes.
              2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
              2021 303RLS
              Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

I've used these and they are fairly soft:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...9072/206758282

I would screw them on to the drawer. I don't think hot glue will be a permanent solution.
                2020 Reflection 273MK
                2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                  I don't have a Solitude, but are those drawers factory? The 303 has a pantry like that but just shelves. I'm thinking if those drawer faces are actually wood, it must be a mod by a previous owner?
                  I'm thinking a black or dark browny/grey rubber strip where the finish is boogered would be a good way to prevent more damage and cover up the current scrapes.
                  It is like that from the factory. My 2022 378MBS is exactly the same. I have been following this thread to see what comes up as well before I have the wear issue that the OP is seeing.

Rob
                  Rob & Barb
                  2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                  2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

I think I may have misdiagnosed the root cause of those marks on the pantry door. You can see some scraps on the recessed parts of the door, where the drawers should not be able to reach during travel, but could scrap while being opened. Got feedback at another forum that it's likely the previous owner was not careful to open the door fully before pulling out a drawer, eventually gouging the surface.

So that changes how we prevent this. Some sturdy clear tape was suggested to line the door in these three areas. I will stain the marks to better match the surrounding finish, and look into the tape. Something like this:

Ultra High Molecular Weight (UHMW) Polyethylene Tape. (tapejungle.com)
                    Jeff & Janice

Comment

Jeff,

Instead of taping the door you could simply tape the corner of the drawer, this will have the same effect.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Got to looking closer at this drawer slide relative to the door - it has a sharp edge that does the scraping.

Click image for larger version  Name:	pantry damage.png Views:	0 Size:	479.7 KB ID:	131244

What I did was employ a fix I used previously in the kitchen on the slide out shelves that were marring the cabinet doors at the house - cut a small section of 3/8ID reinforced hose, and tapped it over the edge with a small hammer. It's pinched pretty securely top and bottom of the slide rail.

Click image for larger version  Name:	pantry bumper fix.png Views:	0 Size:	814.1 KB ID:	131245
                        Jeff & Janice

Comment

Knowing that it's the slide hitting the door, I wonder if you could screw a roller to the door? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Li...TDtlmDGJXQvENw

Or a roller / bumper to the bottom: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Li...6201/100237765
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

That could work, but I will try the free solution first and see how it goes.
                            Jeff & Janice

Comment

Working...
                            X