Pass-Thru baggage doors warped - 2020 2970RL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pass-Thru baggage doors warped - 2020 2970RL

Has there been any issues with the pass thru baggage doors warping? Both of mine are warped and cupped (bulging out from the center). I've reached out to General RV and they have submitted a warranty claim for replacements, but I'm concerned there is a manufacturing issue and I'll just get another set that will do the same thing a year from now. Any idea what is causing this issue? I have a 2020 model, but its really like a late 2019 (4/19 manufactured date) with the thinner baggage doors and regular thumb turn latches. I've noticed on the 'real 2020' models, GD had gone to a thicker baggage door with slam latches. Frustrating to be that one model year behind that misses out on the better quality.
    Last edited by acaton20; 03-11-2020, 08:37 AM.

Originally posted by acaton20 View Post
    Has there been any issues with the pass thru baggage doors warping? Both of mine are warped and cupped (bulging out from the center). I've reached out to General RV and they have submitted a warranty claim for replacements, but I'm concerned there is a manufacturing issue and I'll just get another set that will do the same thing a year from now. Any idea what is causing this issue? I have a 2020 model, but its really like a late 2019 (4/19 manufactured date) with the thinner baggage doors and regular thumb turn latches. I've noticed on the 'real 2020' models, GD had gone to a thicker baggage door with slam latches. Frustrating to be that one model year behind that misses out on the better quality.
    GDRV-Megan -- can you address this new owner's question, please?

Acaton--welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum! Megan will be along soon with a response, though she may need some time to reach out to Imagine factory personnel.

-Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

On my 2020 2600rb (slam latches) one of the pass through doors has a slight warp. Cup shaped, warping outward on both sides from the latch. Looks like a really easy part to replace (just a few screws to swap out). I was going to wait until about 10 months into the warranty to see how they both looked before submitting a claim.

Once submitted I'll just need the new parts. Wouldn't want to leave at a dealer for such an easy swap.
      Charles and Susan
      2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
      Andersen Hitch
      2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Originally posted by acaton20 View Post
        There is no manufacturing issue that GDRV is aware of.

Comment

Definitely an issue with the baggage doors. I have a 2020 3000 QB with the slam latch doors and these have warped. Grand Design will not stand behind the product either. Apparently doors are only covered for a year after purchase and not considered structural. Good customer service 👎

Comment

I had one also warped. Discovered it when we pulled into a rest stop after driving through a heavy rain. Water alarm was going off that I had under all the plumbing. Put some HVAC tape over the front and bottom seam so we could keep rolling, after drying out the pass through. I ended up supporting the center with a knee and applied pressure to the lower corners. Bent it back into shape. Have a few thousand miles sine that tweak. No problems since. Worth a try. Just take your time.
            Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
            TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

Originally posted by Dannynoonan View Post
              Definitely an issue with the baggage doors. I have a 2020 3000 QB with the slam latch doors and these have warped. Grand Design will not stand behind the product either. Apparently doors are only covered for a year after purchase and not considered structural. Good customer service 👎
              Have you contacted Lippert, they make the doors, and see if they will help you.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post

There is no manufacturing issue that GDRV is aware of.
                🤔 seems like there is an issue

Comment

Originally posted by Dannynoonan View Post

🤔 seems like there is an issue
                  That response is from over two years ago. The response may be different today. Have you contacted Lippert as Country Campers suggested? Phone number is 574-825-9679.
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I have a 2020 21G and all the exterior compartment doors are cupping from center out. There is no evidence of sealant being installed around metal trim. Wondering if I can flatten out without damaging the exterior coating? Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                    X