No announcement yet.

All the screws in the bottom rear wall are missing or stripped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess the angle strip is for looks if there isn't any aluminum at that area.
    Core from a side wall:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	110 Wall Core fm Dryer Vent.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	27435
    Gene and Kim
    2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
    2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

I don't have the wall drawing for the 27RL, but when I look at other drawings, there is a metal backer in that location.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
        I don't have the wall drawing for the 27RL, but when I look at other drawings, there is a metal backer in that location.

Jim
        So he is screwing into that piece of thin metal with foam behind? If so going up one screw with a dab of glue at the back of the hole should work. Glue would aid in vibration resistance.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          GDRV-Megan
          Hi Megan,

Could you ask whoever is the right person on the Reflection team as to the purpose of this wall/floor connection strip? I doubt that this is structural . . . but, why is it even there?

Thanks
          Rob
          We use this aluminum corner piece to help with attaching the floor to the rear wall. You are correct, it is not structural as the main attachments for the rear wall are done at the perimeter of the wall. We are not able to run screws through the fiberglass into the floor of the unit as the screw heads would be exposed (because there is no belt rail back there), so we use this aluminum railing in the interior to prevent any gapping.

If the screws are coming out, we would recommend reinstalling wider screws. The maximum length of the screws that we suggest using is 1-1/2".

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post

We use this aluminum corner piece to help with attaching the floor to the rear wall. You are correct, it is not structural as the main attachments for the rear wall are done at the perimeter of the wall. We are not able to run screws through the fiberglass into the floor of the unit as the screw heads would be exposed (because there is no belt rail back there), so we use this aluminum railing in the interior to prevent any gapping.

If the screws are coming out, we would recommend reinstalling wider screws. The maximum length of the screws that we suggest using is 1-1/2".
            Megan - thank you for the update ! In my earlier post on this thread and over the years when a number of us saw these screws working themselves out partially or all the way out the questions was why.....what is happening. What can you share about this ?

Thanks, as always Megan !

Dan
            Dan & Carol
            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Virtually every component or panel that I have removed from my Imagine has had stripped screws. My awning now has daylight behind the rear vertical strut where I found the mounting screws are mostly stripped. Will be looking into rivet nuts at some point.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                Virtually every component or panel that I have removed from my Imagine has had stripped screws. My awning now has daylight behind the rear vertical strut where I found the mounting screws are mostly stripped. Will be looking into rivet nuts at some point.

Jim
                Power drivers running screws into 1/8” luan. Even with the EGS metal backer, the retention is less than one thread of the sheet metal screws. The difference between max holding and over-torqued/stripped is a fraction of a turn. Very difficult to “feel” this with a power driver, even if you use the torque release feature.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Jim
                  Jim - look up my bowed awning repair, Hopefully you will find something useful in it.
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thank you Keith. I'll check it out.

Jim

Comment

I got back in behind the sofa bed yesterday. I don't see any backing behind the luan. I tried a larger screw #10, and it would only snug up in three holes, and when I tried to "snug" one a little tighter, it just stripped through the luan. So I decided to try plastic anchors, and that works pretty well. Three holes were so large I used the toothpicks and glue approach. We will see how long this holds, based on the original, I don't have high expectations. Thanks again for all the advise.
                      Dave
                      Attached Files
                      2016 Reflection 27RL
                      2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
                      B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Originally posted by Dave27 View Post
                        I got back in behind the sofa bed yesterday. I don't see any backing behind the luan. I tried a larger screw #10, and it would only snug up in three holes, and when I tried to "snug" one a little tighter, it just stripped through the luan. So I decided to try plastic anchors, and that works pretty well. Three holes were so large I used the toothpicks and glue approach. We will see how long this holds, based on the original, I don't have high expectations. Thanks again for all the advise.
                        Dave
                        Dave, when I checked ours this spring after repairing (my post #9) in August, 2016 as Jim suggested (and you did) no screws had come loose or were laying on the floor like then. So far so good.

Dan
                        Dan & Carol
                        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Well here we are in 2024 back from a summer of travel in our 303RLS and most of our screws on the back wall bracket are just laying on the floor. Repair is straight forward. The bigger question is why does it happen.
                          Mark & Julie
                          2021 GD 303RLS; GooseBox Hitch; towed by Ram 3500 SRW

Comment

That angle piece is just really a piece of "trim" to cover the joint between the rear wall and the floor, learned from being at the GD plant. The rear wall is secured to the side walls and roof with rather large screws. The reason it is not attached to the floor is to allow for flex while in motion. If the rear wall was attached to the floor it would probably tear itself apart while traveling on our perfect roads.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Perhaps ditching the screws and using a 3M double sided tape adhesive for attaching this metal trim piece would make more sense?
                              2023 Imagine XLS 23LDE, 2022 Ford F-150 Super Crew Cab STX, Curt TruTrac hitch, Curt TriFlex brake controller, AMTIFO rear view camera, Tymate TPMS.

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                                That angle piece is just really a piece of "trim" to cover the joint between the rear wall and the floor, learned from being at the GD plant. The rear wall is secured to the side walls and roof with rather large screws. The reason it is not attached to the floor is to allow for flex while in motion. If the rear wall was attached to the floor it would probably tear itself apart while traveling on our perfect roads.

Brian
                                Brian -- really appreciate this. I am thinking to remove all the floor screws on the trim and only leaving the wall screws of the trim connected. This way the trim will float on the floor, hard attached to the wall. Thoughts?
                                Mark & Julie
                                2021 GD 303RLS; GooseBox Hitch; towed by Ram 3500 SRW

Comment

Working...
                                X