Storage around propane tanks on a 5th wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage around propane tanks on a 5th wheel

Has anyone put screen on the bottom of the bay or built open shelves around the propane tanks so you can store Colman fuel or charcoal lighter fluid in a safe manner (not in an enclosed space). If you have can you please take a picture of show how you did it? Looking for a safe place to store these items. Added benefit the mesh would be to keep the wasps out.

Thoughts?
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
    Has anyone put screen on the bottom of the bay or built open shelves around the propane tanks so you can store Colman fuel or charcoal lighter fluid in a safe manner (not in an enclosed space). If you have can you please take a picture of show how you did it? Looking for a safe place to store these items. Added benefit the mesh would be to keep the wasps out.

Thoughts?
    Keith:

For reference purposes, propane venting requirements are spelled out in NFPA 1192, Standard on Recreational Vehicles.

If you make any modifications, you'll want to make sure you're still in compliance with Section 5.2.6.2:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane Requirement.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	45538

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Keith:

For reference purposes, propane venting requirements are spelled out in NFPA 1192, Standard on Recreational Vehicles.

If you make any modifications, you'll want to make sure you're still in compliance with Section 5.2.6.2:

Name:	Propane Requirement.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	45538

Jim
      Thanks Jim
      Maintaining that ventilation area is not an issue - plenty of extra, For a 30LB bottle I need roughly 2.5 square inches in two spots. A 2" pipe has just over 3 inches square of opening. So really not and issue. Just need to pay attention to screen opening sizes. But I will double check. There is plenty of space around above the base in the corners to hold the items I am looking at. Some SS shower baskets might work in the corners.

I already store my 200MPH duct tape on the propane tank top along with a few paper rags, Easy and quick to get to. Also want to see if a standard 5 or 8LB Fire extinguisher will fit too (left corner inside door). I can put a label on door so folks know its there).
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Keith

I like this idea , especially the fire extinguisher , inside the door would be real handy to get to quick if needed whether on the road or in a camp site , maybe one on each side. I guess that might be my next project to see how much room would be available. I would think that some wire shelf parts cut down might do the job and be strong enough to support some weight. Some window screen under that would keep the bugs out.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Yoda Country Campers

I have carried a fire extinguisher next to the right propane tank for years . . . and the compartment is labeled .

Rob

Name:	IMG_2831.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	45567Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2829.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	45568 ​​​​​​​
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            Yoda Country Campers

I have carried a fire extinguisher next to the right propane tank for years . . . and the compartment is labeled .

Rob

Name:	IMG_2831.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	45567Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2829.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	45568 ​​​​​​​
            I should have known that original Rob would beat us to it. Any tips to share on what size fits and the how to?
            Thanks
            Keith

Comment

Yoda
              Hi Keith,

There are lots of choices for fire extinguishers . . . but most come with plastic or simple metal hook brackets. The one in the picture is a 2.5 lb marine unit. The biggest difference is the stainless steel clamp style holding bracket. This is about the largest extinguisher that will fit the space beside the propane tank and still be able to remove quickly. A bit off topic . . . but I carry four of these same extinguishers. Beside the bed, inside the left pass through door (won’t fit in the left propane locker because of transfer valve), the one in the picture and one beside the tailgate in the box of the truck. So far, an “insurance policy” that I have not had to use. (I think this comes from my boating background). The OE extinguisher is still beside the entry door . . . but is not large enough to do much.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Keith, I have seen one modification where someone used the wire shelving (the stuff for closets sold at big box stores) and trimmed the shelf to fit around the different obstacles in there. I'll see if I can locate the thread and post up the pics.
                Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                2020 Momentum 351M
                2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Here it is. Came from some other place that shall not be named here.

Name:	Propane 1.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	45596

Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                  2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                  2020 Momentum 351M
                  2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                    Yoda
                    Hi Keith,

There are lots of choices for fire extinguishers . . . but most come with plastic or simple metal hook brackets. The one in the picture is a 2.5 lb marine unit. The biggest difference is the stainless steel clamp style holding bracket. This is about the largest extinguisher that will fit the space beside the propane tank and still be able to remove quickly. A bit off topic . . . but I carry four of these same extinguishers. Beside the bed, inside the left pass through door (won’t fit in the left propane locker because of transfer valve), the one in the picture and one beside the tailgate in the box of the truck. So far, an “insurance policy” that I have not had to use. (I think this comes from my boating background). The OE extinguisher is still beside the entry door . . . but is not large enough to do much.

Rob
                    Thanks Rob
                    Keith

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post
                      Here it is. Came from some other place that shall not be named here.

Name:	Propane 1.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	45596
                      Thanks Curtis I just happen to have some on hand. Ill add this to my round to it projects after my solar/battery upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Thanks Curtis I just happen to have some on hand. Ill add this to my round to it projects after my solar/battery upgrade.
                        OffToHavasu
                        Me too! . . . Thanks for the idea Curtis.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The Wire shelves from an old refrigerator can be cut down and used as well. Most of them are stainless so they wont rust. We use them under our steps to put shoes on when parked.
                          Brad Smith
                          2016 Reflection 27RL
                          2018 F150
                          2011 Cruiser (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by B W Smith View Post
                            The Wire shelves from an old refrigerator can be cut down and used as well. Most of them are stainless so they wont rust. We use them under our steps to put shoes on when parked.
                            Good point, that wire shelf in the picture would not last one month where we park in the winter. Salt air would destroy it.
                            Vivian
                            2018 Reflection 303rls
                            Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                            Demco Recon

Comment

Working...
                            X