Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waterproofing the LP bays on my 2018 220RK - Luan under door showing water damage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterproofing the LP bays on my 2018 220RK - Luan under door showing water damage.

I was doing a bit of winter maintenance - pulled LP tanks to check on the need for filling and discovered the luan below the door lip was showing water damage (bowed and cracked both sides). Whats strange is the back, top, and sides are covered with what appears to be black waterproof cloth. With the open bottom should the whole compartment not be waterproofed? I also discovered one of the corner seals missed the mark (not fully in the corner) Ill be fixing that with additional black foam. Why would the factory leave this lower lip exposed to the elements? This same situation occurs behind the saddle box exterior lip too - open to road spray?

So what should I cover the exposed luan with? Would something like snow and Ice shield work - the vinyl tape used for sealing window frames before new windows are installed?

Thanks for any help?
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Yoda can you provide a picture? I can send it to our plant and get an answer for you! Thanks!!

Comment

I'll see what I can do.
      Thanks
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

GDRV-Megan

Not the best pictures, but here goes
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0182s.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	5665
        This area had split and pulled away. I used gorilla glue and a clamp to put back - not the best job. Note it is just the luau board - no waterproof covering.

Name:	IMG_0183s.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	5666
        Gap not filed in and luan board edges exposed.

Name:	IMG_0186s.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	5667 Luan board raw exposed edge. Also in lower right corner starting to split and pull away

Name:	IMG_0188s.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	5668
        Large gap showing signs of spiting

I am just concerned over time the luan will continue to deteriorate and eventually start to de-bond the exterior. I do have the correct closed cell black foam to reseal, but concerned if I need to cover the luan board. I do have access to truck bed liner spray. the truck body undercoating stuff and the snow and Ice shield membrane.

Appreciate and help or advice.

Comment

Yoda have you supplied these pictures with our customer service team? I would encourage you to send these over to them at customerservice@granddesignrv.com.

Comment

GDRV-Megan

I have not but will. I thought you were doing that. Do you happen to know what the the meg limit is in your mail server. The original pictures are high resolution and several megs each.
            Sorry about the confusion.
            Have a great week
            Keith

Comment

Yoda it's not a problem at all! I am just here to offer as much support as possible without you having to go through customer service. But in this case, I would definitely recommend contacting customer service as they would want to document this. I am being told that the message limit is 10 MB. You may have to resize the pictures so that they can be sent in an email.

Comment

• Yoda
                Yoda commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks - Gloria responded - needed my vin

Sure wish there was a way to have the vins handy here.
                Thanks again

Yoda

Thanks for the suggestion about making VINs handy.

I just modified the user profile section to have a place to store your VIN. Click on your name, then User Settings. You should be able to enter your VIN and save it.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

• Yoda
                Yoda commented
                Editing a comment
                Worked - Thanks

Update GDRV-Megan
              Did not want to leave this open. After a few emails and clarifications on my part Brian Glick with GD was able to give me a positive solution. I need use a waterproof paint and seal the interior surface of the outer wall (luan board). I happen to be near my dealer today and got a chance to talk with the new service guy. The previous one retired. I ran the solution by him and he suggested something I had not thought about - the spray in truck bed liner that is sold in a rattle can. Its rubberized and sticks to everything. Note to self - mask off everything before using.

Also from the pictures Brian suggested pulling the LP compartment doors and re sealing them. Sounds like a good plan to me as I can make sure everything is sealed before putting the door frame back - any trick to this or is it as easy as pulling screws removing (carefully prying with a wide blade putty knife), sealing with butyl tape and replacing the door using the same holes? Unfortunately weather is turning cold and from the can I looked at at wally world I don't have temps for proper curing. Knowing that wally-world carries top line quality products - Can folks recommend particular brands of rattle can waterproofing spray to get. I want to get something light in color that is durable if possible.
              Thanks folks and GD

Megan - please tell Brian Thanks again.

Comment

Yoda - So I'm a little confused. I can see sealing up the door to prevent water intrusion. But why would you need to paint or seal the interior walls to prevent water damage? There should be ZERO water getting inside in the first place!

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                  Yoda - So I'm a little confused. I can see sealing up the door to prevent water intrusion. But why would you need to paint or seal the interior walls to prevent water damage? There should be ZERO water getting inside in the first place!

Jim
                  Greatings
                  As the bottom of the LP bay is open to the roadway, when driving in the rain road spray drifts up. I have had it do this already -one trip interior inside wall was wet. I keep a roll of duct tape on the LP tank valve - easy to get to if cargo bays are locked. The cardboard center of the roll was soaked, so I know water spray is getting up there.

On the inside of the exterior walls the luan board has exposed edges which have wicked up the moisture and buckled. These edges were supposedly sealed at the factory, during assembly, but if you notice in the photos they were not completely sealed. This raw edge also extends to the section below the pass through door (bottom is exposed to the road)- this may have lead to my tray pulling away and breaking (one screw comes loose, leading to bigger stress on another screw, etc.). I wont know until I pull the tray. The rest of the bay is waterproof with the covering GD uses (black plastic feeling cloth which is the same stuff above the tires on the underbelly). It just the interior of the exterior wall that is the problem area that needs to be sealed.

So my goal here is complete the sealing of the edges in both the LP bay and section next to it that extends beside the tray in the pas through, and as I don't trust the coating on the luan board being fully waterproof, cover it too.

Thoughts?

Thanks
                  Keith

Comment

I spaced out. I interpreted it as the front storage bay. I forget that you FW owners have those fancy LP storage areas and don't have to store your propane bottles on the hitch like us common folks... ;-)

Jim
                    Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                      I spaced out. I interpreted it as the front storage bay. I forget that you FW owners have those fancy LP storage areas and don't have to store your propane bottles on the hitch like us common folks... ;-)
                      Jim - its called CRS or AAADD. Cant remember stuff, or Age activated attention deficit disorder. I have both
                      Well someday you will get the itch to move up with us BIG boys and all your troubles will melt away

Then again I have very fond memories of the 18" dual axle Wilderness TT. My first trailer - had 6 trellis windows (4 way ventilation through unit) , a 4 burner stove, and a working oven. and the big bay window up front that opened up. I could back that trailer into the tightest spots, and if I did not get it right move it by hand. I had one of those rubber dolly wheels for the front jack. Pulled it with a full size Bronco. We could pen the daughter (toddler) in the dinette with one of those stair gates. Worked great until the second brat came along, then I had to separate them (daughter at age 5 thought new brother was a royal pain and demanded her own space. and moved up to the bunk house 5er.

So Jim know of any good weatherproofing products?

Back to my corner
                      Keith
                      Last edited by Yoda; 11-02-2019, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X