23G Flip-up Countertop Reinforcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 23G Flip-up Countertop Reinforcement

The flip up counter next to the sink on my 23G was screwed into the cabinet wall, and when the factory installed it the screws missed the reinforced wood on one side. To make things worse, the reinforced wood backings are not tied into the adjacent cabinet walls or countertop. So when flipped out the counter extension was real flimsy, and it felt like it would pull off the cabinet if you put too much weight on it (you can even see the wood backing is offset a little on the driver side backing as the cabinet wall was already pulling out a little.

To solve this problem I bought some Simpson framing plates from Lowes to tie everything together (had to trim the top part of the left one), and used through bolts to secure the counter flip out hinges to the plate. It was a little hard to get some of the screws in with the sink in the way, but not the counter extension is rock solid and the 1/4” gap on the counter top is gone.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 74barrio; 01-30-2022, 09:42 AM.
    Dan M.
    2022 Momentum 23G
    2019 F250 6.7L

Picture underneath the counter with the new screws.
    Attached Files
    Dan M.
    2022 Momentum 23G
    2019 F250 6.7L

Comment

This is exactly what this forum is for. Sharing solutions with other owners. Awesome post.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by 74barrio View Post
        The flip up counter next to the sink on my 23G was screwed into the cabinet wall, and when the factory installed it the screws missed the reinforced wood on one side. To make things worse, the reinforced wood backings are not tied into the adjacent cabinet walls or countertop. So when flipped out the counter extension was real flimsy, and it felt like it would pull off the cabinet if you put too much weight on it (you can even see the wood backing is offset a little on the driver side backing as the cabinet wall was already pulling out a little.

To solve this problem I bought some Simpson framing plates from Lowes to tie everything together (had to trim the top part of the left one), and used through bolts to secure the counter flip out hinges to the plate. It was a little hard to get some of the screws in with the sink in the way, but not the counter extension is rock solid and the 1/4” gap on the counter top is gone.
        You did a nice job in providing a reinforcement to the cabinet. I'm surprised it was originally made this way as well.

I added one of these folding countertop extensions and installed a wood backer and used pocket screws and GE Silicone for the reinforcement. Another way to do this where in my case, no support was there since the extension top was not offered on the 2017 Model Imagine.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/interio...imagine-2600rb

Jim

Comment

Working...
        X