Lubricating the landing gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lubricating the landing gears

Moderator Note: Don't miss Country Campers outstanding posts (#23 and #24 in this thread) where he (Brian) shows each part of the jack as he reassembles it. Added the Reference Library tag to this thread. -Howard

After reading the post by Madonnell it reminded me that I have never lubricated the screw part of my front landing jacks on my 4 year old trailer. I was wondering how often others lubricate, and how it it is done?

The last time I did this procedure on a previous trailer I used a pool noodle that I split down the length of it and applied grease to the inside. I then ran the ID of the noodle over the screw and moved up and down a few times. This appeared to get enough grease on the threads after raising and lowering the jacks several times.
    Last edited by howson; 11-10-2023, 06:35 PM.
    2020 Reflection 273MK
    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

That is probably the most creative and best way I have ever heard of.

I need to do mine now that you mention it. I guess the best way is going to be to remove the jack, extend it as much as possible and find some way to apply grease to the threads. If I extend it and pull the foot off, I can probably pull the screw up through the housing to the top so I can smear grease on the threads.

The not so nice thing is that once the nut runs along the threads, it wipes most of the grease off. I found this out on my GN trailer and BP utility trailer.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2

You will not be able to remove the screw or even access the nut. I have one at home where the nut stripped and I tore it apart to see "how its made". I will try to get some pics sometime.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        I have one at home where the nut stripped and I tore it apart to see "how its made".
        Can you do a quick video like the TV show?

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        2021 303RLS
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

I keep this video bookmarked but have never actually done it. Something I keep meaning to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emcO...tomConversions
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
            That is probably the most creative and best way I have ever heard of.

I need to do mine now that you mention it. I guess the best way is going to be to remove the jack, extend it as much as possible and find some way to apply grease to the threads. If I extend it and pull the foot off, I can probably pull the screw up through the housing to the top so I can smear grease on the threads.

The not so nice thing is that once the nut runs along the threads, it wipes most of the grease off. I found this out on my GN trailer and BP utility trailer.
            Like Brian says I don't think you can remove the screw. If the jack I have now is like the one on my previous 5th wheel, you simply remove the foot and you have access to the threads of the screw. Of course they are up in the square tubes of the extension part of the jack, so that's where creativity comes in as far as getting grease to them.

And if I'm not wrong, you don't extend the leg of the jack, you retract it to get access to most of the thread to apply grease. Brian can correct me on that if I'm wrong.

And you are right, the nut is going to remove a lot of the grease as it moves up and down, but enough is going to stay on the threads to do the job. Maybe some other folks will share their techniques or expertise on this procedure.

Jerry
            2020 Reflection 273MK
            2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

OK, so extending the jack as I mention is not to run the nut off the bottom of the screw. I am trying to run the nut down so when I PULL UP on the lead screw it will come out the top I do not need to run the nut off the bottom of the screw, just need room to get at the nut and thread interface. THIS allows me to put grease ABOVE the nut so it can rest on top and hopefully over time spread out and keep lubricating the screw and nut. If I get real froggy, I'll either drill a small hole or put a zerk at the top.

If you back the video up to about 8:50 and look, there is a metal cap on the square box he has in his hand. On that style of jack it's just as important to lubricate the bevel gears in the top. I believe you can even access the top side of the nut from the top of the housing on those.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                Can you do a quick video like the TV show?
                I can do that but it will take some time and probably not quite as good as the tv show, and it will take more time to figure out to get it to the public, pictures might be easier.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

I can do that but it will take some time and probably not quite as good as the tv show, and it will take more time to figure out to get it to the public, pictures might be easier.

Brian
                  OK. Getting their narrator to your garage might be difficult too.
                  2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  2021 303RLS
                  Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                    I keep this video bookmarked but have never actually done it. Something I keep meaning to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emcO...tomConversions
                    I saw that video several years ago and I think his clear plastic tube would be the best way to lube the screw, but it's probably going to put a lot more grease on there than is really needed, and when you extend the landing gear the first time, it will just push the grease off. Did you make one like on the video?

I need to check on my trailer and see if I can get to those top gears pretty easy.
                    2020 Reflection 273MK
                    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

I saw that video several years ago and I think his clear plastic tube would be the best way to lube the screw, but it's probably going to put a lot more grease on there than is really needed, and when you extend the landing gear the first time, it will just push the grease off. Did you make one like on the video?

I need to check on my trailer and see if I can get to those top gears pretty easy.
                      No I have never done it on mine. I actually have not done any maintenance on mine yet, going on five years of 5-8 months a year of use (non stationary) so they have seen a lot of up and down. Something I really should put some effort into.
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
                      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

No I have never done it on mine. I actually have not done any maintenance on mine yet, going on five years of 5-8 months a year of use (non stationary) so they have seen a lot of up and down. Something I really should put some effort into.
                        My last trailer did fine for about 7-8 years and I didn't know about doing maintenance on the jacks. One day I started to lower the jacks and one made a really bad sound and stopped. I could tell something was binding so after some research found the issue and lubed. Perfect after that.

So....... I don't feel it's necessary every year but some preventive maintenance might keep the jacks running longer and avoid a bad acute situation at the worst time.
                        2020 Reflection 273MK
                        2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

So no video here, not enough time for that. I did get some pictures though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20231105_072630.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	122907
                          The part on the right is the actual jack main tube. This end is where the motor mounts and couples to the screw. The part in the middle is the actual jack mechanism. This end is where the nut is located and is crimped inside the square tube, this is the part that moves up and down inside the main tube. The screw on the left is driven by the motor thru a coupler that is pinned on the end of the screw, sorry no picture of the coupler. When assembled the screw end sticks up thru where the motor mounts and the coupler is pinned on making it impossible to remove the screw or inner tube with out removing the coupler, and motor.

Name:	20231105_072645.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	122908
                          Side view of components.

Name:	20231105_072822.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	122909
                          This is the end of he screw, notice the bead of weld provided so the jack can not be extended too far and fall out. This also provides that the jack can not be removed for greasing or service of the nut, kind of handy when you want to sell new parts for replacement. Greasing the jack screw with a tube or any other method is the best thing, there is not much else that can be done.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers

The tube in the middle of the picture, the one that extends downward when you activate the motor, is the nut at the top of the tube? If so, that means the tube needs to be fully retracted to allow access to most of the threads when lubing.

I'd like to be able to grease the gears that connect the motor to the screw but it's going to require removal of the motor and I'm not sure I want to go that far. thanks for the pictures. Wonder if there is a parts diagram any where out there?
                            2020 Reflection 273MK
                            2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
                              Country Campers

The tube in the middle of the picture, the one that extends downward when you activate the motor, is the nut at the top of the tube? If so, that means the tube needs to be fully retracted to allow access to most of the threads when lubing.

I'd like to be able to grease the gears that connect the motor to the screw but it's going to require removal of the motor and I'm not sure I want to go that far. thanks for the pictures. Wonder if there is a parts diagram any where out there?
                              Yes that is the nut at the top of the extension tube and yes the jack needs to be completely retracted in order to access most of the threads on the screw. There is no gears at the connection between the motor and the jack, there is a coupler there that the shaft on the motor engages. The gear set would be inside the motor. I think the top silver cover on the motor comes off to reveal the gears.

Brian
                              Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X