No announcement yet.

Dash Camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a standard Sandisk 256 micro sd card, I do not recall reading anything about a fancy card.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

rtrainer Country Campers

Thanks for the information. The reason for the question is the information from thier web page. Scroll down to just above the camera list
      https://www.rexingusa.com/product/v1-4k/
      They have a specific list of cards and the note that Ultra cards might not work.. So it appear sthe ScanDisk card I listed above is approved. Ill look for a sale.

In emails I have gotten back from John Mirabal (RexingUSA) <care@rexingusa.com> Have been somewhat confusing. He says the camera pulls between 2 to 4 amps (was thinking of using the truck USB port) Now I need to see what power the Ford USB port is capable of.

John also mentioned with the 512 SD card recording time is lust shy of 43 hours. Smaller sized will also work so I might go with the 256 Brian mentioned for 21 hours of time, or 2 days worth

When I asked about continuous recording he replied with this puzzling answer as I through it went back and recorded over the previous files.
      The continuous recording is not possible, the camera will default to 15 minute videos and once it fills up, it stops recording.

I am still puzzle on the loop recording. If I understand is continuously records, but saves files every 3 minutes until the disk if full then goes back and starts recording over the oldest files. Is this correct? The other question he forgot to answer is are the file names such that they have a time stamp. I think I read where you can set the time. But do you need to do that every time you power up?

Last the good news. There is a 15% off coupon, which makes buying direct cheaper that Amazon even with the Amazon coupon and free hipping cost
      The coupon code from the newsletter is: rexing2024

​Thanks for any help.
      Keith

Update
      I just got off the phone with thier customer support and got my questions answered and verified information given. Time stamp setting are saved for a few days with the truck off. If you don't want to worry and resetting the date time then the GPS addition will update those settings automatically every time the truck is turned on. The GPS unit draws about 1 to 2 additional amps. and setting scan be tailored to your needs

The continuous recording feature is actually 15 minute files, and once disk is full will not loop. You must reformat to record over.
      To have the recording loop and record over old files you must use a loop setting of 1 to 3 minutes. The camera records continuously and saves a file every 3 minutes or whatever you loop setting is.

G sensor is adjustable. I asked about rough roads setting it off and he said it could trigger the sensor which will lock a file and save to a different spot. However the camera will continue recording and save to a normal loop file.

File names do have the date stamp in them

So now to decide if I want the GPS. Not sure I will use the information, but might - who knows. It's on sale on thier web page.

Keith

BTW Any tips on wiring routs and concealment would be appreciated and given the max amps of about 6 I can see an up fitter switch can be used. Just need to find those pesky pass through wire bundes in the foot well . I found them under the hood, but not much length to work with

Last edited by Yoda; 02-27-2024, 03:16 PM.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda,

Same here . . . all I have ever used is a standard 256 card.
        The info from Rexing is confusing. The video is divided into segments and you can choose the length of these segments, but the camera certainly over-writes the oldest segment continuously. It is unlikely that you are going to want to go back and find a segment more than a few hours old. And if you connect the power to go on/off with the engine, this is hours of driving time. So, if you drive less than an hour a day and not every day, you will have recordings going back a month.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Adding that when power is removed from the camera and then the camera is turned back on the recording will start at the last segment, it will not record over previous recordings until the memory card is full. I have traveled about 12 hours, set up camping, then used the truck for a week of traveling around and then traveled home and never had it overwrite a previous segment, with a 256 card. So the card will hold plenty. If you are traveling somewhere that you might want to save the trip either download to laptop or get another card. I have saved a few videos on our travels, one might be of Rob fixing my camera as I had it set wrong.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
            Adding that when power is removed from the camera and then the camera is turned back on the recording will start at the last segment, it will not record over previous recordings until the memory card is full. I have traveled about 12 hours, set up camping, then used the truck for a week of traveling around and then traveled home and never had it overwrite a previous segment, with a 256 card. So the card will hold plenty. If you are traveling somewhere that you might want to save the trip either download to laptop or get another card. I have saved a few videos on our travels, one might be of Rob fixing my camera as I had it set wrong.

Brian
            You should share Rob fixing your camera. I need a good laugh today

Thanks for the tip on card size - it does save a bit of $$. Ill probably just get the basic camera and not the GPS. Start of small and keep SWMBO happy..
            It also looks easy to download files to my laptop and it seems doable without removing the camera.
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

More of these companies have poor email responses. Can't answer questions about the camera, but I have heard that dash cams in general have the propensity to run down the vehicle battery if not setup correctly. As for running power, on my GMC the interior fuse panels are in the ends of the dash, so they are easily accessible. Biggest issue is pulling the roof liner along the front edge. Open the door pillar is not too difficult. I have also seen people tap into power in the area where the mirror is attached.
              Rob, Betsy and Kali (Rhodesian Ridgeback)
              2022 Solitude-S 2930RL
              2023 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax Denali

Comment

I just let my camera wire hang down to the 3 port power box that sits on the dash. I have no tolerance for removing door pillars or head liner.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Sure do like that 4k quality.

I'm using a combination dash cam/rearview mirror, with 1080p, 30fps front, 25fps rear. It does pretty well during the day, but degraded resolution/glare from headlights at night. My truck windows are dark tinted, and this unit helped me see behind me, in conjunction with the side mirrors, especially for merging, but also for hitching up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	mirror shot.png Views:	0 Size:	441.8 KB ID:	129495

Auto-Vox V5PRO

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5209.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.9 KB ID:	129496

Given it's only 1080p, a 256Gb SD card is formatted for 64Gb, and currently loops 1 minute videos (can be 3 or 5 minute) from both front and back cameras, and overwrites the oldest. About 9 hours total between both cameras can be captured before overwrite starts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Front dash cam view.png Views:	0 Size:	859.7 KB ID:	129497
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Front dash cam view nite.png Views:	0 Size:	749.5 KB ID:	129498
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	rear view.png Views:	0 Size:	904.2 KB ID:	129499

I see my rear camera lens is a little dirty.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by BWSTGDS; 02-27-2024, 06:28 PM.
                  Jeff & Janice
                  2019 Solitude 377MBS, 5.5kW Onan, Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, EquaFlex/wetbolts, Triangle TRT01 LRG tires, Splendide W/D, Magnum Energy 3000W inverter/charger, 4-225AH-6V NPP AGM's, Winegard WiFi extender, RV airflow, Progressive Ind HW EMS, Andersen Ultimate Hitch​

Pulled with an upgraded 2001 F350 SRW CC LB Lariat 7.3​

Comment

So they make mirror taps for radar detectors. Since most mirrors are key controlled or have at least one key controlled circuit in them, it should be fairly easy to tap into the mirror for power.

https://blendmount.com/brand/mirrortap/
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

I have no tolerance for removing door pillars or head liner.

Brian
                      The blue plastic tool that comes with the camera is for tucking the power wire behind the forward edge of the headliner and the A pillar trim . . . nothing needs to be removed. The power wire is long enough to follow this route and still come back to the center console where there is usually a power socket.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I just let my camera wire hang down to the 3 port power box that sits on the dash. I have no tolerance for removing door pillars or head liner.

Brian
                        Brian
                        Can you post a picture or a link to your power box you have?
                        Thanks
                        Keith

Comment

Update
                          I ordered the camera this morning from Rexing direct. Cheaper than Amazon. There is a 15% off coupon rexing2024​ and they include a 32GB SD card for free. Also no tax. Shipping was $5.95. So I am a Happy Camper right now.

Keith

Update It appear that have they same camera with the GPS data logger on sale at the same $99 price Rexing V1GW-4K Ultra HD Car Dash Cam w/ Built-in GPS Logger and Wi-Fi https://www.rexingusa.com/product/v1gw-4k/

​I may try and change my order.
                          Last edited by Yoda; 02-28-2024, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Yoda

Inside the passenger footwell trim are all the connections to the overhead upfitter switches. Attach a cigarette receptacle to one of these and plug the dash cam power cord in there. Everything hidden and out of the way and the Dashcam is controlled by an upfitter switch powered by an ignition on circuit.

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                              Yoda

Inside the passenger footwell trim are all the connections to the overhead upfitter switches. Attach a cigarette receptacle to one of these and plug the dash cam power cord in there. Everything hidden and out of the way and the Dashcam is controlled by an upfitter switch powered by an ignition on circuit.

Rob
                              I know the pass through wires are there and can be connected to the up fitter switch pig tails under the hood. Is that what your saying? I did not know the wires from the actual up fitter switches go thru there. Do you happen to have a photo? Sounds like a great way to do it..

Comment

Keith,

Similar to this Amazon.com: 9 in 1 Cigarette Lighter Splitter, JOYROOM 154W Car Charger Adapter with PD/QC 3.0 * 2 Charge(3.3FT Cable), 12V/24V Independent Switches DC Cigarette Outlet Car Charger for All Car Devices : Automotive

Brian
                                Brian & Michelle
                                2018 Reflection 29RS
                                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                                X