Tail light mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bigdog3162 View Post

OK, NOW I have to go find a Woody to hang off the rear ladder! My grown boys loved those movies!
    Woody has been hanging on to our last 4 trailers over the last 10 - 12 years. We bought him on the way to a campout in the Sierras with our kids and grandsons. They were little guys and thought it was so cool and of course we made up a whole story to go alog with it. Our grandsons are 20 and 16 now but they still pull his string when they see him and crack up when he says, "I've got a snake in my boot!"
    Paul and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Dude Most strange outcome. The LED strips work fine (turn chasing from the middle, running, brake, and reverse) with the ignition off, but as soon as I turn the ignition on I lose the brake and turn signal on both sides. I checked with my meter and I am getting the same voltage at the lights regardless of whether it is running or not. All I can think of is there is some noise the engine is introducing that is tripping up the circuit in the LEDs that detects the flash for turn signal vs brake. I am going to have to scope the output and see whats going on, but we are supposed to leave for a trip Tuesday so it is going to have to wait. Its a shame, they look really nice when they are working.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

ncitro

I suspect your meter is "lying" to you. When testing the negative lead on your meter is attached to a good ground thus the meter "sees" 12V.

What I think is going on is with the ignition on the wiring is not "seeing" the truck's negative (in the 7-pin plug). A quick check could be done by stringing a negative wire from the LEDs to the negative connection coming from the Bargman plug. (I forget if you have a MICTUNING box setup.)

Could be wrong...but easy thing to check.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
          ncitro

I suspect your meter is "lying" to you. When testing the negative lead on your meter is attached to a good ground thus the meter "sees" 12V.

What I think is going on is with the ignition on the wiring is not "seeing" the truck's negative (in the 7-pin plug). A quick check could be done by stringing a negative wire from the LEDs to the negative connection coming from the Bargman plug. (I forget if you have a MICTUNING box setup.)

Could be wrong...but easy thing to check.

Howard
          That's possible, but the regular square Bargman LED lights continue to work fine through all this, and they're all paralleled together. My next step when I have time is to run a long lead up to the trucks trailer connection and tie directly to the feed there (ground and turn signal). I do have the Mictunning box.

Neil Citro

Comment

ncitrosorry your running into issues, and howson is right. The ground plays tricks on you, and it sounds like some testing is in order in. Keep us posted what your finding turn out to be.
            2020 Grand Design - 2600RB - Pulling with a 2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins 4x4. (Texas)

Comment

FYI To anyone following, I have troubeshot this further and am moving discussion to my own thread here:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...roubleshooting

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
              X