Tail light mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail light mod

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on replacing the taillights of my 2600RB. Back in January, I was looking for the post on the strip lighting that someone did and had zero luck finding it and accepted the challenge to take it upon myself after a lot of research.
    in this mod I decided not to do any drilling in the walls or floorboard to run lights.
    Pic 1-The only wiring that was run was the reverse light wire for both sides. Looking at the front of the camper it’s located on the left side underneath the frame in a junction box and it will be a yellow wire that’s most likely capped off. I connected two wires to that connection and ran them the length of the trailer and then split them at the back.
    Pic 2-5. Cut the seal with a sharp edge to allow the tail light ring to pop off and then trim around the light edge. If you do not trim around the light edge it will tear your vinyl when pulling the light off. Pry the light away to expose the wiring.

Once I exposed the wiring I then started the process of making sure what wire did what. Once that was done I connected and soldered all connections then put wire caps on. It’s not a bad idea to pull some of the foam out of the wall around the hole to allow more room for a refit of all wires.

After I completed all connections I sealed everything back up. One thing I made sure to do was to drop the strip light wiring out of the bottom of each light.

All strip light wiring had shrink tubing on it to make sure it was properly covered.
    To clean up the reverse wires so that they didn’t look like it was hanging everywhere. I used double-sided tape by cutting small strips and sticking the small wires against the trim seam all the way down until it went under the bumper. Once everything was in place I used a black sealer to seal everything including the light strips.
    Last edited by Dude; 03-22-2023, 02:59 PM.
    2020 Grand Design - 2600RB - Pulling with a 2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins 4x4. (Texas)

Here are some picture of the the final look. The link will get you the video, it wouldnt let me attach it.

https://youtu.be/9rgnlZ_mN0w
    Last edited by Dude; 03-22-2023, 02:54 PM.
    2020 Grand Design - 2600RB - Pulling with a 2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins 4x4. (Texas)

Comment

Originally posted by Dude View Post
      Here are some picture of the the final look. I’ll post up a video once I figure out how to. 😩
      I find the easiest method is to upload to YouTube as an unlisted video. Once uploaded you'll get a link that you can use here.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

This looks great! Adding to the list of future mods. I'm a bit confused though. Why did you tap into the yellow reverse wire? Also, would love to see how you did the bike rack/ receiver.
        2023 Imagine XLS 23 BHE, F-150 LWB Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by goodXgang View Post
          This looks great! Adding to the list of future mods. I'm a bit confused though. Why did you tap into the yellow reverse wire? Also, would love to see how you did the bike rack/ receiver.
          Please tag or quote the member so they know a question is waiting for their attention. Did you notice the "Notification" flag for you because I quoted your post?

Another method is to tag the person, like this: Dude (see goodXgang's question/statement in post 4).

Consider going back through the Welcome Letter again--lots of good information there to help you get the most from your time here on the forum.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by goodXgang View Post
            The reason I tapped into the reverse wire was to have lights when backing into a site. We try our best to get to a camping site before dark. It happen to me once and backing up in the dark is not fun without lights. As for the bike rack, I removed the spare tire rack and purchased the aftermarket hitch kit. The hitch insert is a two stage setup so that I can bring our bikes as well as our kayak trailer. If you chose to do this I will caution you to always inspect the bumper connection to the trailer frame after every trip for failure points.

Comment

Dude Your mod looks really nice. What strip lights did you use and how did you decide to fix them to the camper?
              Doug, Cheryl, 2 Kids, 2 Dogs.
              2023 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Duramax (Sam)
              2023 Imagine 2910BH (Frodo)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Frodo View Post
                Dude Your mod looks really nice. What strip lights did you use and how did you decide to fix them to the camper?
                Sorry I took so long to get back to your question Sam, I went with a 48" Light strip That has adhesive tape on the back, and once applied I went with black caulking around the edges as well as the wiring to hold everything in place. After it was completed I kind of wished I'd gone with the 60-inch length for better visibility but I can live with the 48-inch for now.

I have attached that purchase link.
                https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B4JYL62Q...t_details&th=1

Comment

Nice job!

I did a similar change on our 22MLE because our bikes, when covered, block out most of the super small lights.

Paul and Deb Cervone
                  2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                  2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
                  2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Dude I worked on this project a bit today, ordered the same lights as you. Did you just tie the left and right together on a particular strip? I went that route and they seem to work if I power them with straight 12v, but not off the truck. I know you've got a Dodge, but thought I'd see if you found any gotchas before I dig into a Ford issue. Powered off the truck just my regular lights work on brake and turn signal, the strips only work on running and reverse.

Looking at the Amazon listing I see it's amber for turn and red for brake, but only using five wires was not sure how they're detecting brake vs turn signal.

Neil Citro
                    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                      Dude I worked on this project a bit today, ordered the same lights as you. Did you just tie the left and right together on a particular strip? I went that route and they seem to work if I power them with straight 12v, but not off the truck. I know you've got a Dodge, but thought I'd see if you found any gotchas before I dig into a Ford issue. Powered off the truck just my regular lights work on brake and turn signal, the strips only work on running and reverse.

Looking at the Amazon listing I see it's amber for turn and red for brake, but only using five wires was not sure how they're detecting brake vs turn signal.
                      I sure did. I really like the effect it had when turning the lights on it run out to the ends from the middle. What I did was hooked up the power to the truck and hooked a light tester up on every wire and then marked the wires. I would think your wiring colors in the trailer are the same as mine, if so look at the picture I posted of where to attach the lights from the strip lights connect.

I was looking at your light mod, and what tubing did you use to clean up your wires? It looks nice.

Comment

Dude thanks I think I need to break it apart and look at the wiring. I tied it into my tail lights, which are working fine, so I'm pretty sure the wiring is good, but there may be something wrong in how the LED strips came wired.

If you're asking about mine, I changed out my factory lights a few years ago to these:

Bargman 48-84-527 Double LED Taillight with Stop/Tail/Turn (Red- Black Base) https://a.co/d/5yYesYm

And I used this to hide the wires to the strips:

D-Line Cord Hider, Decorative Cable Cover Wall, Paintable Cord Concealer, Cable Raceway, Wire Covers for Cords, Hide Wires, Electrical Cable Management - 0.78in W x 0.39in H x 39in Length - White https://a.co/d/emVYCGf

Neil Citro

Comment

Dude Got it and works as advertised. Must have been a bad connection or short, I pulled one apart and reseated everything and working great now. I will post some pictures when cleaned up, but loving them so far.

Neil Citro

Comment

Dude & Paul & Deb - Love both setups! Well done and looks great.
                            2020 Imagine 2400BH
                            2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Paul & Deb View Post
                              Nice job!

I did a similar change on our 22MLE because our bikes, when covered, block out most of the super small lights.

OK, NOW I have to go find a Woody to hang off the rear ladder! My grown boys loved those movies!
                              2022 Reflection 150 Series 280RS, 2022 GMC 3500 Denali crew cab 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel, empty wallet.

Comment

Working...
                              X