Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear Observation Camera - Causing Interference with Tow Vehicle Electronics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Observation Camera - Causing Interference with Tow Vehicle Electronics.

When we purchased our travel trailer in 2016, we installed a Furrion rear observation camera. Other than occasional signal losses, it worked okay. After six years, the monitor started to go bad, so it was time to replace it. But wow. A new Furrion camera system is at least $350.

So I cheaped out and purchased an off brand (AMTIFO) from Amazon that had pretty good reviews and only ran me $150.00. It has a nice big screen and I really liked the clarity of the picture once I mounted it. The only problem that I initially noticed was that there was some lag in the picture, and sometimes it dropped the signal.

We took a trip from Arizona to Texas last week and soon after departing, I received a message on my driver's panel that said "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault". I pulled over and checked to be certain the tires were properly inflated, and continued on. When I got to New Mexico and settled in one afternoon, I took the truck to Discount Tire and had the wheel sensors replaced thinking that they had a low battery. The fault was gone after replacement. When I hooked up the next morning, the fault returned. To make a very long trouble-shooting story much shorter, the fault was caused by interference generated by the cheap camera. Turn the camera off, and the fault goes away. Turn it on, and the fault returns. This is 100% repeatable. So that cheap camera only cost me an additional $260 for new sensors that I didn't really need....

I reviewed some truck forums and YouTube channels and evidently electrical cords and devices inside the tow vehicle can interfere with the tire pressure sensor monitoring systems on our trucks. So lesson learned. If you ever have a tire pressure sensor fault, try disconnecting items like cell phone chargers and electrical components such as cameras and GPS devices before assuming the fault is with the truck.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
    When we purchased our travel trailer in 2016, we installed a Furrion rear observation camera. Other than occasional signal losses, it worked okay. After six years, the monitor started to go bad, so it was time to replace it. But wow. A new Furrion camera system is at least $350.

So I cheaped out and purchased an off brand (AMTIFO) from Amazon that had pretty good reviews and only ran me $150.00. It has a nice big screen and I really liked the clarity of the picture once I mounted it. The only problem that I initially noticed was that there was some lag in the picture, and sometimes it dropped the signal.

We took a trip from Arizona to Texas last week and soon after departing, I received a message on my driver's panel that said "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault". I pulled over and checked to be certain the tires were properly inflated, and continued on. When I got to New Mexico and settled in one afternoon, I took the truck to Discount Tire and had the wheel sensors replaced thinking that they had a low battery. The fault was gone after replacement. When I hooked up the next morning, the fault returned. To make a very long trouble-shooting story much shorter, the fault was caused by interference generated by the cheap camera. Turn the camera off, and the fault goes away. Turn it on, and the fault returns. This is 100% repeatable. So that cheap camera only cost me an additional $260 for new sensors that I didn't really need....

I reviewed some truck forums and YouTube channels and evidently electrical cords and devices inside the tow vehicle can interfere with the tire pressure sensor monitoring systems on our trucks. So lesson learned. If you ever have a tire pressure sensor fault, try disconnecting items like cell phone chargers and electrical components such as cameras and GPS devices before assuming the fault is with the truck.

Jim
    Kind of a different TV tire sensor fault. When I replaced the valve stems to metal stems on the trailer I thought it would be a great idea to use the metal valve stem caps on the TV. Looked much better and a good use. Similar thing happened to me in the middle of a trip. Checked TV tire pressures, all good. Did a TMPS reset in the TV and worked for a while then the fault came back. Turns out the metal caps interfered with the tire sensor just enough to cause the fault. Put the plastic caps back on after we returned and all is well now. I too thought I was going to need to replace the tire sensors at first. It's a 2007 so I'm just waiting for that, "day". Living on borrowed time for now.
    Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
    TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

Working...
    X