Atwood Helium Fridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atwood Helium Fridge

We have a 2015 Grand Design Reflection 323 BHS with the lovely Atwood Helium 0801 fridge. Runs on gas just fine, electric just fine, all lights bells and whistles all work properly but it will not cool. Gas ignites and on electric too the metal piping gets pretty warm in the back access panel. Checked Ohms on all fuses, no issues, and checked over circuit board with nothing out of normal. All breakers and anything attached is good. I am told this is due to "crystalizing" of the alleged helium (even though it is not helium) and have tried flipping the fridge several times to jar it loose. End result is if, and strong if, the crystals are dislodged and it starts working again, they will recrystallize once the unit is turned off for any length of time. Any recalls or info anyone has to get my by is greatly appreciated.

Probably not much help, but the manual is here: https://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.c...or-HE-0801.pdf

Typically when an absorption refrigerator's cooling unit goes bad, the cooling unit is bad. If you want to try and keep the shell of the refrigerator (just replace the cooling unit) JC Refrigeration is probably your best option: https://jc-refrigeration.com/

Otherwise might be time to consider a compressor-driven 12V model or even a residential that runs off of 120vAC. Ultimately it's how you use the refrigerator and your RV that will determine the "best" way forward.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Has this refrigerator worked for you before, or is this a new to you trailer?

If all else fails to resolve the issue, you can make a cheater cord to directly power the element from the outlet which removes all control functions from the mix as a test of the cooling unit.
      John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

If it has crystallized the ammonia, it's done. Replace it.
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        2021 303RLS
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Well, it took nearly 10 years of ownership with our 303 and Atwood Helium fridge to learn that it is not actually helium....hmm.

What "gas" is it ?

Dan
          Dan & Carol
          2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
          2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
            Well, it took nearly 10 years of ownership with our 303 and Atwood Helium fridge to learn that it is not actually helium....hmm.

What "gas" is it ?

Dan
            It’s helium.

John & Kathy
            2014 Reflection 303RLS
            2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post

It’s helium.
              Thanks, John ! You, Rob, and many others of us shared many posts over the years on this and many other things helping owners. I never saw what 904 shared in post #1. Figured he was a sharp Engineer like many of you (and the Moderators) who post 98% of what's on this valuable Owners Forum or he was being sarcastic, POd, or simply did not know.

Our original Helium fridge was replaced right away (9/2014) due to not cooling well. The replacement Atwood Helium has worked very well.

Dan
              Dan & Carol
              2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
              2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

Thanks, John ! You, Rob, and many others of us shared many posts over the years on this and many other things helping owners. I never saw what 904 shared in post #1. Figured he was a sharp Engineer like many of you (and the Moderators) who post 98% of what's on this valuable Owners Forum or he was being sarcastic, POd, or simply did not know.

Our original Helium fridge was replaced right away (9/2014) due to not cooling well. The replacement Atwood Helium has worked very well.

Dan
                I think OP is confused by the fact that ammonia is the refrigerant and the gas is just there to lower some transition points so it works better.
                John & Kathy
                2014 Reflection 303RLS
                2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
                  I think OP is confused by the fact that ammonia is the refrigerant and the gas is just there to lower some transition points so it works better.
                  Add me to the list of "confused"! The only absorber system we discussed at school was the ammonia / hydrogen based cooling units. I had no idea there were helium units, too.

So (I assume) the principles of operation are the same except insert "Helium" wherever you see "Hydrogen" in the diagram below.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Absorber.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.6 KB ID:	109692
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Glad I am not the only one having or had this issue. Final result is it is not helium, but according to a few trusted HVAC people who work on RVs, it is a gas (I believe anhydrous??) that replaced hydrogen as nonflammable/explosive so it was safer to use. Downside, it crystalizes and forms a block in the lines. Once this happens, you can flip it upside down for awhile and keep rotating it and if it has not fully solidified, you may get another season out of it. In my case, there was liquid as it was gurgling each time, and no yellowish staining indicating the system had not leaked out. I used this previous couple seasons with no issues and very good at its intended use. Final resolve is an apartment fridge with a freezer that is actually within 1/4" of same measurements. I am hoping to install this weekend. It is not an absorption style like howson's diagram shows above, but a compressor style like a residential. Of course no propane back up, but we don't really use propane ever at our camp. Result is a poor design unless the system is fully connected and running very often or most of the time unlike ours that is stored away inside a garage during winter months.

Comment

Originally posted by 904 View Post
                      Final result is it is not helium, but according to a few trusted HVAC people who work on RVs, it is a gas (I believe anhydrous??) that replaced hydrogen as nonflammable/explosive so it was safer to use.
                      Now I'm even more confused, as the manual clearly states the gas is helium. Clip below is from your refrigerator's manual.

Click image for larger version

Name:	helium.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	109698

Originally posted by 904 View Post
                      Downside, it crystalizes and forms a block in the lines.
                      It's the ammonia that crystallizes and causes blockages. Quite common in "RV" refrigerators.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Additionally, I am not an expert on much, but like to do research and learn from many people on forums such as all of those who have responded. I am aware that ammonia is the refrigerant chemical, but feel anhydrous seems like inaccurate to me. I do understand hydrogen is the regular/normally used chemical and does have a flammable history so using a different chemical with less risk does seem like a great plan. I also did not realize ammonia would crystalize or how for that fact. I have never had any issues in previous campers before and this is a new one. I do appreciate the information people are sharing and hope this helps one person have abetter camping experience, than it's worth it.

Comment

Howson I completely agree it would be helium, and had a confused look on my face when I was told that. Seems pretty obvious as it says helium right on it too, but again this isn't in my wheelhouse and why I asked if anyone had been able to get one going after having it crystalize. I hated the idea of getting another one and paying the price after having rather bad luck and the season hasn't even begun. It does sound like you have been at this for some time and appreciate you sharing. Everything else i have been able to conquer but the fridge issue so I figured I would give this forum a shot as many good contributors on it.

Comment

904. I was able to dig up the service manual for the Atwood reefer. In case you haven't seen it, here's a copy:

Atwood-Refrigerator-HE-0801-Rev-4.pdf

Jim
                            Jim and Ginnie
                            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Here was some of the marketing info back when these were hitting the market:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	318
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	109707
                              Jim and Ginnie
                              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                              X