Furrion 15.6 12 Volt refrigerator not cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion 15.6 12 Volt refrigerator not cooling

New 2022 Reflection 341RDS with a 15.6 cu ft Furrion. Getting ready to head out for the season and the frig did not cool. Lights were on but compressor was not. I thought it could be low battery so I hooked up my battery charger, fully charged the battery but still nothing. Tried reseting every function but still nothing. Hooked directly to house power but no change. Turned off main battery switch, waited 20 minutes, turned it back on, no luck. I noticed even though I turned off the main battery switch the frig lights were still on. That was news to me ! FINALLY pulled all plugs, turned off main battery switch AND disconnected the battery cable. Reconnected battery, then house power, then turned on main battery switch and low and behold the wonderful sound of the compressor running. Turns out the universal help desk mantra still holds true,REBOOT ! The assumption is the frig detected a low battery after the unit was sitting for awhile and turned off the compressor as its designed to do but wasn't smart enough to detect when full battery power was restored. I sure do miss the dumb old days ! Now if I can only find my 12 volt fuse panel.

Moral of the story, just because you turn off the main battery switch for storage, it does not cut power to everything.
    This explains the battery drain and why the frig turned off it's compressor.

Grand Design has recently started to put the 12 v dc fridges on the battery disconnect side of things, but do not quote me on that. To truly remove power when in storage it is best to remove the cables from the battery.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Lesson learned, I assumed that big red switch actually meant what is said. Must have missed that in the owners manual.

Comment

Couple things to add/ask here. First, my 12v GE refrigerator is connected the same way as FredT's Furrion. So I kinda see a delimmena here. When not being used (turned off), we have always been told its best to leave the doors on the frig cracked open to vent the frig. (We also put a box of baking soda in the frig & freezer) Problem is, the Frig ight stays on if the door is left cracked open even when the unit is turned off. Disconnect the battery and as I understand it the solar charge controller doesn't like that. So for myself and others in this same situation what is the best way to deal with this?
        Jim & Kathy
        2022 Imagine 2600RB
        2022 RAM 1500 Limited Longhorn, Hemi e-Torque, 3:92,
        trailer tow pkg, 4x air suspension, TT TPMS.

Comment

Originally posted by Kathy&Jim_Imagine View Post
          Couple things to add/ask here. First, my 12v GE refrigerator is connected the same way as FredT's Furrion. So I kinda see a delimmena here. When not being used (turned off), we have always been told its best to leave the doors on the frig cracked open to vent the frig. (We also put a box of baking soda in the frig & freezer) Problem is, the Frig ight stays on if the door is left cracked open even when the unit is turned off. Disconnect the battery and as I understand it the solar charge controller doesn't like that. So for myself and others in this same situation what is the best way to deal with this?
          If you have a fuse for the fridge either in the 12V fuse panel or inline by the battery (I've heard of both locations) - just remove that fuse. Of course if the only fuse is behind the fridge that's a problem.

Alternatively, if comfortable, you could install a shut-off switch on the 12V line to the fridge (assuming you can locate that line).
          Ken & Sandra
          2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

As KSC_Travels suggested, best is to install a manual cut-off switch or, alternatively, re-wiring the 12v source so it comes off the Power Distribution Panel (where there is likely an open place to install a fuse).

For the solar controller, adding a cut-off switch there, too, is highly recommended. There's an extensive thread on this latter topic here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/4...rge-controller

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

KSC_Travels Great idea. And fairly easy to do. Thanks

howson The cut-off switch is in the works along with a bunch more solar related stuff, but for the time being the fuse and /or switch are great ideas. Thanks
              Jim & Kathy
              2022 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

There should be a main fridge fuse on the tongue, which while not easy, should be easier to access than the one behind the fridge.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

ncitro Now that you mention it, I believe there is. Thank you.
                  Jim & Kathy
                  2022 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

Hi, just joined. I've been troubleshooting my furrion 12v fridge and did everything that everyone posted, did find a fuse on the top blown out but no luck. So I opened the back bottom compartment to find that there might have been an electrical fire. Might want to check if you're having the same issue. Trailer still under warranty so it's coming out!

Comment

Originally posted by SXSChris View Post
                      Hi, just joined. I've been troubleshooting my furrion 12v fridge and did everything that everyone posted, did find a fuse on the top blown out but no luck. So I opened the back bottom compartment to find that there might have been an electrical fire. Might want to check if you're having the same issue. Trailer still under warranty so it's coming out!
                      Welcome to the forum. Sorry it has to be under such bad circumstances. Could you please shoot me a private message with your VIN and contact information. Any time there is damage as indicated in your photos, we send the information to GDRV management. To send a private message, click on my name on the left, and then look for the block that says "private message".

Thanks,

Jim - Moderator.
                      Jim and Ginnie
                      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                      X