Add heat strip to bedroom AC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add heat strip to bedroom AC

Has anyone added a heat strip (electric heat) to bedroom roof mounted air conditioner? They are useful to keep the chill off without running the propane furnace.
    We have a 2023 337RLS 5th wheel.
    Thanks.
    2023 337RLS (pickup next week)
    2017 RAM 3500 SRW Limited
    Our 11th RV (last?)

Originally posted by tvantuyl View Post
    Has anyone added a heat strip (electric heat) to bedroom roof mounted air conditioner? They are useful to keep the chill off without running the propane furnace.
    We have a 2023 337RLS 5th wheel.
    Thanks.

Do you have a Coleman unit? When I added my front air I put the great strip in it as well as a heat pump. I know you'll need a new thermostat for sure, personally I don't think the strip is worth much. It's not that high powered because it has to run off the same circuit as the air conditioner itself and it's only 120v. The heat pump however is awesome.

That said on the Coleman it was a straightforward install, had to beat bit of a contortionist but not too bad.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

ncitro, Thanks for the insight. I have a coleman 13.5 btu unit in the bedroom.
      It sounds like the thermostats are cool or heat and cool. Didn't think of that.

We had a heat pump in our 36' Itasca MH, and it worked well, too.
      2023 337RLS (pickup next week)
      2017 RAM 3500 SRW Limited
      Our 11th RV (last?)

Comment

Originally posted by tvantuyl View Post
        ncitro, Thanks for the insight. I have a coleman 13.5 btu unit in the bedroom.
        It sounds like the thermostats are cool or heat and cool. Didn't think of that.

We had a heat pump in our 36' Itasca MH, and it worked well, too.
        I believe they come in cool, heat and cool, and secondary heat and cool (for if that thermostat controls the A/C, furnace, and heat strips).

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

We had a heat pump option installed on one of our Coleman units. That thermostat has options for cool, gas heat (furnace) or electric heat (heat pump).

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

tvantuyl

Another option if you're looking to part with your money (we do a lot of that here) kiss the Micro-Air thermostat. It's Bluetooth and WiFi, and you can customize an offset to the temperature of you wanted. You tell it what sources you have (A/C, furnace, electric heat, etc). I replaced both my main Dometic unit (this runs my furnace) and Coleman unit (heat pump) with it at the National Rally and I've been very happy with them.

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
            X