Dyna-Glo Ventless Propane Heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dyna-Glo Ventless Propane Heater

A friend mentioned that he uses a "ventless propane operated heater" (ie. Dyna-Glo) in his RV since it won't drain the RV battery (the RV furnace pulls power from RV battery). I wanted to ask if people have any experience using a ventless propane heater and how/where they ran the 10-12ft hose to/from to attach to a propane tank outside. I heard that sometimes the hose will fit through the "slide out" gap, but others say they drill a hole in the RV floor to run the propane line from the ventless heater to a large propane tank outside. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Musco View Post
    A friend mentioned that he uses a "ventless propane operated heater" (ie. Dyna-Glo) in his RV since it won't drain the RV battery (the RV furnace pulls power from RV battery). I wanted to ask if people have any experience using a ventless propane heater and how/where they ran the 10-12ft hose to/from to attach to a propane tank outside. I heard that sometimes the hose will fit through the "slide out" gap, but others say they drill a hole in the RV floor to run the propane line from the ventless heater to a large propane tank outside. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    From a brief reading of the manual and all the warnings and cautions associated with a ventless, if running down the battery is a primary concern (when running the OEM furnace)--why not switch to a LifePO4 battery (assuming there's a Lead-Acid battery now)?​

A couple of random notes from my reading:
    A 100lb propane tank is required to be used with a Dyna-Glo.
    The manual specifically emphasizes it is a secondary heat source, not a primary.
    The Dyna-Glo creates additional moisture in the air due to the combustion -- often an issue in cold weather in an RV (from cooking, showers, people, etc).
    The device requires "fresh air". Have you read the criteria for ventilation in the manual?
    I doubt any of the agencies mentioned in the manual will approve of a ventless installation in an RV. Snip from manual below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	188
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	126819

Finally, the Dyna-Glo will do nothing to keep the RV's underbelly above freezing. The water lines will freeze without the OEM furnace running.

Just an opinion (and doesn't everyone have one?)--a Dyna-Glo in an RV is NOT a good idea.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I agree with Howard, you'd need some kind of fan to circulate the air in the rig, which would put you back at the power usage of the furnace. Then you'd still need a way to circulate warm air to the underbelly.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

There are two issues with a combustion heater in a closed space. One is the oxygen being consumed from the area to support the combustion and the other is the products produced by the combustion, particularly carbon monoxide. While the device may not need external venting, the living space that it is in certainly does.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Sounds similar to a Mr. Heater Buddy. Requires some ventilation.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Just the moisture it would add indoors would be intolerable.
            John & Kathy
            2014 Reflection 303RLS
            2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

This is definitely a no-go for me. I'm with howson, upgrade the batteries.
              Trib
              2019 Freightliner Cascadia 126
              2021 Momentum 320G
              2021 Road Glide Limited
              See you down the road!!

Comment

That is a dangerous idea. Listen to the above comments.
                Rich

Comment

Working...
                X