TPMS saved me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TPMS saved me

Two of my brothers-in-law have had issues with flat tires on their trailers that lead to some body damage. This spurned me to install a Tire Minder before our trip down south this winter. After 4 days of driving and only a half hour from our final destination, I started hearing a beeping noise. I finally realized it was the Tire Minder. This can't be I told myself. It's only been 4 days! Sure enough one trailer tire had only 70 psi in it. I pulled over to a nice wide spot on the road and discovered a piece of polycarbonate plastic sticking out of the sidewall. I figure the Tire Minder paid for itself right then and there.
    Mitchell & Kitty
    2022 Imagine 2670MK
    2024 Ram 2500 6.7 diesel

This reminds me that I need to mess with the Tire Linc system in our new RV. It hasn't worked well so far.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      This reminds me that I need to mess with the Tire Linc system in our new RV. It hasn't worked well so far.

Jim
      Good luck. I never got our Tire-linc to work reliably. It would randomly alarm for no determinable reason, it would stop communicating...like finding the tire pressures haven't changed at all in 45 minutes..then find the app locked up. I found replacing it with the TireMinder I10 system great for peace of mind.
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      2021 303RLS
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Good to learn that your TireMinder system is working for you. I wrestled with probably an earlier version . . . for years. TireMinder were always good to deal with . . . replaced probably every part of the system . . . but, the dropped signal alarm would always go off . . . which was always disconcerting. Was running two signal boosters on their advice. It did save me twice from slow leak tire damage. I now have the Ford OEM system and have not had a dropped signal or false alarm.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell & Kitty View Post
          Two of my brothers-in-law have had issues with flat tires on their trailers that lead to some body damage. This spurned me to install a Tire Minder before our trip down south this winter. After 4 days of driving and only a half hour from our final destination, I started hearing a beeping noise. I finally realized it was the Tire Minder. This can't be I told myself. It's only been 4 days! Sure enough one trailer tire had only 70 psi in it. I pulled over to a nice wide spot on the road and discovered a piece of polycarbonate plastic sticking out of the sidewall. I figure the Tire Minder paid for itself right then and there.
          IMO, this is the textbook case for having a TPMS. It lets you deal with a tire problem before it becomes a major problem in a safe and convenient location. Just being able to choose a wide shoulder or parking lot instead of a narrow shoulder or worse is well worth the system cost.

John & Kathy
          2014 Reflection 303RLS
          2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

I had a TireMinder on my previous travel trailer and it saved me one time. It went off and within seconds the tire was flat. I had a 1/4" bolt in it. I hope the TireLinc that is in my tires on my Reflection works as good. I need to check the setting on it though. The person walking us through the PDI set it up.
            Raymond and Dee Dee
            2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
            2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

This is why I ordered my Super Duty with the trailer TPMS option. It integrates the trailer TPMS with the vehicle TPMS and I get a notification on the dash display of a problem and I don't have to look at another device off to the side. If your truck has the ability to add the option I highly recommend adding it.
              Chris and Cathie
              2023 F250 XLT CCSB 6.7 diesel
              2017 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
                This is why I ordered my Super Duty with the trailer TPMS option. It integrates the trailer TPMS with the vehicle TPMS and I get a notification on the dash display of a problem and I don't have to look at another device off to the side. If your truck has the ability to add the option I highly recommend adding it.
                I would totally agree with Strider.....I have this on my new GMC Sierra and don't worry about the truck or the camper tires and their temps and pressures any longer.
                40-year Camping Enthusiast
                2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
                2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Originally posted by COReflection View Post

I would totally agree with Strider.....I have this on my new GMC Sierra and don't worry about the truck or the camper tires and their temps and pressures any longer.
                  Luckily my '17 had the harness from the factory that allowed me to add on the capability. I agree that having the trailer's TPMS incorporated into the truck's system is the way to go if the owner has the option.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                  2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Luckily my '17 had the harness from the factory that allowed me to add on the capability. I agree that having the trailer's TPMS incorporated into the truck's system is the way to go if the owner has the option.
                    I added the factory trailer TPMS a year after I bought my truck (you can also add the factory trailer camera as well). It is possible to add this after purchse....you will have to have access to Forscan to complete setup.
                    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I ordered my 2022 Ram 3500 with this as well. I need to get the sensors put into the tires. My only concern is that with the Cooper all steel tires I have heard I might have trouble with the system working.

Rob
                      Rob & Barb
                      2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                      2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post
                        My only concern is that with the Cooper all steel tires I have heard I might have trouble with the system working.

Rob
                        I have heard of cheap, hard tires "wearing like iron" but have not heard of all steel tires. Must be garbage for traction...lol

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                        2021 303RLS
                        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post

I ordered my 2022 Ram 3500 with this as well. I need to get the sensors put into the tires. My only concern is that with the Cooper all steel tires I have heard I might have trouble with the system working.

Rob
                          I think Sailun trailer tires have steel belts in the sidewalls (somebody correct this if I am wrong) and have been OK with OEM pressure sensor valve stems.

(another) Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

I think Sailun trailer tires have steel belts in the sidewalls (somebody correct this if I am wrong) and have been OK with OEM pressure sensor valve stems.

(another) Rob
                            The belts run from bead to bead, so any tire with steel belts has a full steel cage inside. Bias run diagonally, radial straight across.

John & Kathy
                            2014 Reflection 303RLS
                            2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                              I have heard of cheap, hard tires "wearing like iron" but have not heard of all steel tires. Must be garbage for traction...lol
                              Good one!! I asked for that one.
                              Rob
                              Rob & Barb
                              2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                              2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Working...
                              X