Water heater LEAKING 2022 Imagine 2600RB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water heater LEAKING 2022 Imagine 2600RB

Went for a short trip Thursday and after hookup, I noticed some water coming from under the bath cabinet. On the 2600RB, you can remove the drawer in the cabinet and can easily see the water heater and connections. What I observed was a pinhole leak spraying water from the WELD joint of the cold water inlet nipple on the tank. A pinhole spray almost a mist but it had some pressure behind it. The water then was hitting the foam/foil insulation piece and dripping down onto the floor. We bought this 2022 Imagine in November of 2021, so it is a little over 2 years in age.

I bypassed the water tank by turning the hot and cold valves off and opening the bypass valve. Then relieved the pressure and drained the heater tank. Went to the nearest Auto parts place and bought some heavy duty JB WELD for storage tanks. Cleaned the WELD area around the nipple on the tank with alcohol and applied the JB WELD. Waited the 4 hours cure time and refilled the water tank. It held for almost 2 hours and started leaking again. This time the water made its way beneath the JB WELD.

Tried some more JB WELD and some roofing leak tape but to no avail. So we had NO HOT WATER. #$!*&%$$

I have a National RV Protection plan until 2027, so I called that number. They gave me some Mobile Tech numbers to call and said it was covered.

I called the Numbers and two of the 3 were located too far away to come and they told me that they prefer not to come for Warranty claims like this, because it is too hard to get paid.

The other one did not work weekends.

They all said that these Dometic Tanks are china made cheap and have seen many of these weld joints leak like this.

We had to cut our trip short not having hot water. The cost of a new Water Heater unit to replace the one is approx. $600 and $200 for labor they said.

I am highly disgruntled at this point, but will check with the local FunTown RV center tomorrow and see if they will honor the warranty that I paid for and replace the unit.

Any advice, or info on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

2022 Imagine 2600RB
    F150 Lariat 5.0L, 3.55, HD Tow Package
    Dallas, Texas area

Good morning. Well that's disappointing for sure. One other suggestion would be to call GDRV customer service M-F at 574-825-9679 and let them know about the issue. They may offer some alternatives.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      Good morning. Well that's disappointing for sure. One other suggestion would be to call GDRV customer service M-F at 574-825-9679 and let them know about the issue. They may offer some alternatives.

Jim

Thanks Jim for the Number. I will give them a call tomorrow for sure.
      2022 Imagine 2600RB
      Dallas, Texas area

Comment

That truly sucks. If you cannot get the unit warrantied, you may be able to lead free braise or solder the connection to fix the leak.

In the future, one thing I found that help was to "burp" the hot water a few times during the initial heating process and if there were extended periods of non use to help relieve pressure build up as Rob has noted and documented very well.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

If it is a pin hole leak, try a wicking threadlocker like Loctite 290. Use to use a wicking sealant to seal porous castings for 2000psi hydraulic service.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Update 3/5/2024: Back home, I found a great local ​RV repair company (Shipley's Mobile RV repair in Lindale, Texas) that came out and replaced the water heater with a new one. Excellent quality workmanship by them. National RV Protection came through for me also and honored the claim. Hope this one lasts longer than 2 years.

Thanks for the ideas on fixing the leak, guys.
            2022 Imagine 2600RB
            Dallas, Texas area

Comment

Working...
            X