Simple Dash Cam Install Becomes an Ordeal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Dash Cam Install Becomes an Ordeal

After having pretty good luck with Rexing dash cameras, I decided to install one in my 2020 Ford F350 Dually. I prefer to power the camera through my truck's upfitter switches so it can be conveniently turned off if desired. On the 2020 Ford, the upfitter relays and fuses are pre-wired under the hood. To get power back into the cab, Ford "conveniently" includes four wires that pass through the fire wall on the passenger side.

This should have been a really simple job. If Ford had the foresight to install wiring, I'm sure they made it user friendly - right? Wrong. Retrieving and using the pass through wires became quite an ordeal. They hid the wires and when i finally found them, the were so short, they were almost impossible to work with.

I watched several videos about locating the pass through wires. Most of them are coiled and taped up near the fire wall on different model years. But they weren't there on the 2020. I visited several forums which pointed me to where they were located. To retrieve them, you must remove the battery and battery box or remove the RF fender liner. Once those parts are removed, you can locate the wires tucked under the fuse box. After locating and retrieving the wires, I had to cut off the heat shrink that Ford had placed over the ends of the wire. This left about 1-1/2" of wire to work with. It was barely enough to install butt connectors to allow for extending the wires. Here's a photo after the wires were retrieved:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pass through wires Edit.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	133191

This was a very tight area to work in, and was literally quite painful to cut and extend the wires. There were sharp edges everywhere which did a nice job of slicing up my arms. Trying to get cutters, strippers, crimpers, butt connectors and wires into this area was not fun, but I was finally successful:

Name:	Extensions 1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	133192

Once the extension wires were added, I labeled them and secured them in an accessible area for future usage:

Name:	Extensions available 1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	133193

The inside of the truck was even trickier. The wires were hidden high up in the foot well. To access them, many pieces of trim, molding, and the glove box needed to be removed. The pass through wires were only 3/4" to 1" long after the heat shrink was removed and the wire was stripped. I tried for over an hour to attach butt connectors on the wires, but just couldn't get the correct angle to cinch them down. I finally gave up and decided to use straight line Wago connectors instead of butt connectors. Since this is in an interior area, I'm not concerned about moisture intrusion like I am under the hood. Here's a photo of the Wago connectors installed along with extension wires.

Name:	Wago.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	133194

I estimate it took a good 3-4 hours to prep the wiring. Once that was done, the camera install was quick and easy and only took about 45 minutes.

Lesson learned: Convenience features sometimes aren't ​ all that convenient.

​​​​​​​Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Wow. Wonder why they made them so ridiculously short? Were other trucks like that on the Ford forum you looked at?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    2021 303RLS
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Is it possible a previous owner lopped them off?
      Ottertail, Minnesota
      2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
      2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

I went through exactly this same ordeal . . . for exactly the same reason. My 2022 F350 was brand new so I took it back to the dealer and said “you find these wires”. See post 103 of this thread. https://gdrvowners.com/towing-and-hi...age7#post70741. The under hood wires were so short that I could only solder and shrink wrap the connections . . . no way to get a crimping tool in there. Ironically, the owners manual shows illustrations of generous wire length and easy access. This appears to be a long standing Ford issue.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
          Wow. Wonder why they made them so ridiculously short? Were other trucks like that on the Ford forum you looked at?
          Lots of complaints on the forums about short wires.
          Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPeterson View Post
            Is it possible a previous owner lopped them off?
            I don't think so. They still had the factory heat shrink on the wire ends.

Name:	Wasted Wire.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	133219

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Most of my 'simple' projects turn into what you've experienced.
              John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
              2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
              ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
              2017 Jayco 26BH
              2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

I don't think so. They still had the factory heat shrink on the wire ends.

Name:	Wasted Wire.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	133219

Jim
                There is about a mile or two of wire in the truck but they couldn't add 2 more feet. I'll find out if they are still doing this when our truck shows up late June...
                Ottertail, Minnesota
                2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
                2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Working...
                X