No announcement yet.

Traveling 3+ hours - Fridge on propane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update: All new Transcend trailers are being equipped with a Furrion 12 volt compressor operated refrigerator. In addition, they'll have a solar charging system installed to keep the batteries topped off while on the road or boondocking. No gas will be needed to operate the refrigerator while on the road or camped. This is a major safety and functional improvement over the gas absorption refrigerators.

I installed a similar refrigerator in my Reflection TT last year while doing some engineering analysis for Grand Design. I'm thrilled with how well it's worked out. If any of you are ever considering replacing a smaller refrigerator, I'd recommend this technology. As of right now, I don't believe there are any replacements available in a larger four door version. If you're seriously considering this type of replacement, I have some engineering data I'd be happy to share with you.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      Update: All new Transcend trailers are being equipped with a Furrion 12 volt compressor operated refrigerator. In addition, they'll have a solar charging system installed to keep the batteries topped off while on the road or boondocking. No gas will be needed to operate the refrigerator while on the road or camped. This is a major safety and functional improvement over the gas absorption refrigerators.

I installed a similar refrigerator in my Reflection TT last year while doing some engineering analysis for Grand Design. I'm thrilled with how well it's worked out. If any of you are ever considering replacing a smaller refrigerator, I'd recommend this technology. As of right now, I don't believe there are any replacements available in a larger four door version. If you're seriously considering this type of replacement, I have some engineering data I'd be happy to share with you.

Jim
      WAY cool! Now if they'll just develop the same technology for the 18 cu. ft. applications, all will be well in RV refrigerator world.

Rob
      Rob & Laura
      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
      2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
      (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Jim
        I was the video of the new Transcends and this feature. Very nice.
        Bill & Cindy
        2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
        SE Texas

Comment

Jim
          Hi Jim. I would be interested in the data and any extra info you may have on the Furrion 12 Volt Refrigerator. I am considering replacing my 7.5 cubic foot Norcold.
          Brad Smith
          2016 Reflection 27RL
          2018 F150
          2011 Cruiser (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by B W Smith View Post

Hi Jim. I would be interested in the data and any extra info you may have on the Furrion 12 Volt Refrigerator. I am considering replacing my 7.5 cubic foot Norcold.
            I am interested as well.
            John and Lori
            2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
            2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

Jim
              When (not if) the Norcold systems fail, there is a company that offers a 12v compressor replacement unit. Readers Digest version, you remove the refrigerator, remove the original "cooling" system from the back, replace with the new 12v compressor system and reinstall refrigerator.
              Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
              2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
              2020 Momentum 351M
              2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

What is the general price point for these units?

Jim

Comment

https://jc-refrigeration.com/product...dc-conversion/
                  Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                  2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                  2020 Momentum 351M
                  2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Working...
                  X