• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OffToHavasu
    replied
    https://jc-refrigeration.com/product...dc-conversion/

Leave a comment:

replied
    What is the general price point for these units?

Jim

Leave a comment:

• OffToHavasu
    replied
    Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Update: All new Transcend trailers are being equipped with a Furrion 12 volt compressor operated refrigerator. In addition, they'll have a solar charging system installed to keep the batteries topped off while on the road or boondocking. No gas will be needed to operate the refrigerator while on the road or camped. This is a major safety and functional improvement over the gas absorption refrigerators.

I installed a similar refrigerator in my Reflection TT last year while doing some engineering analysis for Grand Design. I'm thrilled with how well it's worked out. If any of you are ever considering replacing a smaller refrigerator, I'd recommend this technology. As of right now, I don't believe there are any replacements available in a larger four door version. If you're seriously considering this type of replacement, I have some engineering data I'd be happy to share with you.

Jim
    When (not if) the Norcold systems fail, there is a company that offers a 12v compressor replacement unit. Readers Digest version, you remove the refrigerator, remove the original "cooling" system from the back, replace with the new 12v compressor system and reinstall refrigerator.

Leave a comment:

• JHC
    replied
    Originally posted by B W Smith View Post

Hi Jim. I would be interested in the data and any extra info you may have on the Furrion 12 Volt Refrigerator. I am considering replacing my 7.5 cubic foot Norcold.
    I am interested as well.

Leave a comment:

• B W Smith
    replied
    Update: All new Transcend trailers are being equipped with a Furrion 12 volt compressor operated refrigerator. In addition, they'll have a solar charging system installed to keep the batteries topped off while on the road or boondocking. No gas will be needed to operate the refrigerator while on the road or camped. This is a major safety and functional improvement over the gas absorption refrigerators.

I installed a similar refrigerator in my Reflection TT last year while doing some engineering analysis for Grand Design. I'm thrilled with how well it's worked out. If any of you are ever considering replacing a smaller refrigerator, I'd recommend this technology. As of right now, I don't believe there are any replacements available in a larger four door version. If you're seriously considering this type of replacement, I have some engineering data I'd be happy to share with you.

Jim
    Hi Jim. I would be interested in the data and any extra info you may have on the Furrion 12 Volt Refrigerator. I am considering replacing my 7.5 cubic foot Norcold.

Leave a comment:

• BillinTexas
    replied

Jim
    I was the video of the new Transcends and this feature. Very nice.

Leave a comment:

• Second Chance
    replied

Jim
    WAY cool! Now if they'll just develop the same technology for the 18 cu. ft. applications, all will be well in RV refrigerator world.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• TucsonJim
    replied

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Running from Gnats
    replied
    If you want to travel with the propane powering the refrigerator running, you need to look into this: GASSTOP @ https://gasstopusa.com. It goes onto the propane tank, then hook up the gas line. If there is a leak, it cuts off the propane. You do need one for each tank you want to use, but it has prevented gas leaks (leaking connections and accidents). Then you only shut down the tank(s) when fueling or traveling through tunnels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qanB...ature=emb_logo
    Last edited by Running from Gnats; 11-07-2020, 09:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Schiefswret
    replied
    Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post

John, I see your unit is a 2021 year model. Ours is as well. When we took delivery the board that controls the switch from propane to electric wasn't working. Electric worked but not propane. I was told there were a bunch of bad boards and my dealer immediately ordered the replacement board. It has since been changed out and works perfectly. Not saying this is your issue but you never know. My thread link below.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-run-on-lp-gas
    Thanks Bill, I was thinking the board also but wasn’t sure enough to comment. Travel safe.

Leave a comment:

• JHC
    replied
    Thanks Bill. I will check into this and call my dealer.

Leave a comment:

• BillinTexas
    replied
    Originally posted by JHC View Post
    We plan on traveling 3+ hours to camp early December. This will be our longest trip so far. Our previous short trips, we would get the fridge cold a few days before and then travel to the camp. It stayed pretty cold but this will be a longer trip. We tried to run it on propane and it always beeped so I gave up and just turned it off. The fridge stayed cold so no issues. But a 3 hour trip, either the fridge will stay cold or I need to figure out the beeping when I have the fridge on auto. What do others do on extended trips?
    John, I see your unit is a 2021 year model. Ours is as well. When we took delivery the board that controls the switch from propane to electric wasn't working. Electric worked but not propane. I was told there were a bunch of bad boards and my dealer immediately ordered the replacement board. It has since been changed out and works perfectly. Not saying this is your issue but you never know. My thread link below.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-run-on-lp-gas

Leave a comment:

• Schiefswret
    replied
    Originally posted by JHC View Post
    We plan on traveling 3+ hours to camp early December. This will be our longest trip so far. Our previous short trips, we would get the fridge cold a few days before and then travel to the camp. It stayed pretty cold but this will be a longer trip. We tried to run it on propane and it always beeped so I gave up and just turned it off. The fridge stayed cold so no issues. But a 3 hour trip, either the fridge will stay cold or I need to figure out the beeping when I have the fridge on auto. What do others do on extended trips?
    I leave mine on “Auto” 24/7. When I disconnect shore power it automatically changes over to LP and doesn’t miss a beat. If we are on the road 2 hours or 6 hours it works like a champ. Upon arrival at next campsite, I plug in shore power and it automatically switches back to AC. I just monitor the indicator lights and the temp gauges to ensure everything is working properly. On a few rare occasions I had the continual beep sound also and turned the fridge off for a minute and back on again and that did the trick.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Very cool.

JIm

Leave a comment:

• mpking
    replied
    Since you guys are so interested, here's my photos:

Cooler on Friday night with food for the weekend

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-11-06 14_00_14-Window.png
Views:	415
Size:	970.6 KB
ID:	34058

Camper at the beach. You can see the cooler (with the relectix case) plugged into the 12V Power outlet I installed for it. (I used the 100Watt solar suitcase on the roof to keep the battery charged indefinetly. Solar was NOT a problem at the beach.)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-11-06 14_01_05-Window.png
Views:	366
Size:	960.6 KB
ID:	34059

Leave a comment:

Working...
X